Final Table Bubble: OR or AI with 99 UTG, 15.5BB

sportlasportla Red Chipper Posts: 27 ✭✭
In an online tournament with 980 players, I played my way up to the top 10 in 5 hours. The next place is the final table bubble. I have 15.5BB and I'm tenth. UTG I get 99. My general question is whether I only play the OR here (and then 2.2 or 2.5 BB?) Or whether I am giving too many players the opportunity to join the hand?
(I played an AI and the BB called it with KK, end of the song).

Comments

• KossKoss Red Chipper Posts: 82 ✭✭
    There's a lot of factors to consider here. Reading your post it sounds like you are the shortest stack? Is it a BB ante tourney where you are going to be paying the BB and ante next hand? Shoving is not a mistake here. The question is just whether it's the most profitable play, and there's not enough info to answer that. A lot of it comes down to how the other players at the table are playing. If there are a lot of loose calls being made and otherwise splashy play with weak hands and I'm a short stack, I'm fine just shoving because I can get called by a lot of weaker hands. If it's playing more weak/tight then the smaller raise is probably better because you will get the same amount of folds, but might generate some action from the BB. Against a 3-bet you can use your judgment. I'm probably not capable of folding 99 at a 15BB stack when I'm the short stack. Maybe against a 3-bet and a cold 4-bet, but against a single 3-bet I don't think there's much you can do other than going with it. It looks like this was just your time to go.
  • MnpokerMnpoker Red Chipper Posts: 199 ✭✭
    Like Koss I'm looking for more info. How do you compare to the other stacks? What are the pay jumps? When do the blinds increase? What is the buy in and what are the length of the blind levels. I checked the charts and the charts say push 66+ so like Koss said it was your time to go but with the limited info given you should have been the one to shove, More info might get a different answer
  • TheGameKatTheGameKat Las VegasPosts: 4,960 -
    Unless there are significant pay jumps and multiple stacks much shorter than you, this is a pretty trivial shove I think. But as the others have mentioned, we really need a lot more info here for a complete response. The stack distribution at the table is critical. For example, if I have the BB covered I might talk myself into a 2.2x open with the plan of folding to heavy action. But again that would require some pretty odd ICM considerations.
    Moderation In Moderation
  • sportlasportla Red Chipper Posts: 27 ✭✭
    I was UTG, tenth and short-stacked with my 15.5BB with a total of 5 players at the table. It was a BB + Ante tournament. The payout was $ 50 and ninth place was $ 70, and eighth was $ 95 as far as I remember.
  • KossKoss Red Chipper Posts: 82 ✭✭
    At a 5 handed table where you are the short stack in the tourney and are about to get hammered with the ante next hand, I'm going broke here 100% of the time. Raise/folding UTG at a 10 handed table with 99 when a nit 3-bets is one thing. But 5 handed I'm raising and calling off every time, if not just shoving myself. My previous comments about shove vs. 2.5x raise apply, but being 5 handed I think I'm more likely to go with 2.5x to generate some action, and just going with the hand if I get 3-bet.
  • MnpokerMnpoker Red Chipper Posts: 199 ✭✭
    I agree with Koss right up to the end. I am never 2.5X raising here. I am shoving or folding. Shoving is prefered but I'm ok with folding. Yes you get the blinds next but you will come out with 13BB and I assume that they combine the table at 9 players hopefully giving you more hands before your next round of blinds. All that said I was in this exact situation with 66 with 15 left and UTG and blinds going up next hand. I did shove (I had about 8BB) and lost to KQ but I'm making that same play every time (especially when card dead as I had been) and in the end will end up about 50/50 for going broke. The chart says shove and I hate to shove this low but the math says that it is correct. The only way I'm folding is if there is a stack that is shorter or within 2 BB of mine and the extra pay jump would mean a lot to my bankroll or psyche

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file