Would you have done this differently?

NEMONEMO Red Chipper Posts: 6 ✭✭
edited August 12 in Online Poker Hands
I played this hand last night on a 0,10/0,20 table with deep 200BB buyin.

MP is loose passive VPIP 48 / PR 11 / RFI from MP 5

I put him on: 99+,ATs+,KQs,AKo with his raise from MP.

With him checking on both turn and river, I did not expect him to have Kx, which left me with nearly 86% equity. Was that a mistake from me or did this villain play his hand exceptionally well?

CO: 186.3 BB
BTN: 211 BB
SB: 89.9 BB
Hero (BB): 202.9 BB
UTG: 35.45 BB
MP: 331.7 BB

SB posts SB 0.5 BB, Hero posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has :7S::7D: :

fold, MP raises to 4 BB, fold, fold, fold, Hero calls 3 BB

Flop: (8.5 BB, 2 players) :KS::7H::JC:
Hero checks, MP checks

Turn: (8.5 BB, 2 players) :KD:
Hero checks, MP checks

River: (8.5 BB, 2 players) :9C:
Hero bets 8.5 BB, MP raises to 25.5 BB, Hero raises to 198.9 BB and is all-in, MP calls 173.4 BB

Villain shows KK and takes the pot.

I feel pretty good about the way I played this hand. However I am not sure if the shove was the right move here - I mean were I too confident? Or would you have done the same thing?

Should I even have played the hand from the beginning with 35% equity against his range?

Comments

• brucerjwaynebrucerjwayne Red Chipper Posts: 9 ✭✭
    I think it is ok preflop. On Flop this check was to do some X/R? After he checks flop, I probably would bet turn, cuz i think if he have this stats, he would call even with the worst pairs, but the X is ok too, in my opinion.
    River, I think the problem is only on your shove, cuz he is a fish wich limps too much, and these type usually bet when he have something really strong, otherwise he calls, or fold, rarely cases they gonna bluff spots like this.

What is the range you put him to raise your bet and wouldn't bet before? there is something to bluff? I think in the most part he would do something like this with another full, and all fulls in this hand is bigger them yours. I think this river could be call or fold, depending on the information about about him.

• NEMONEMO Red Chipper Posts: 6 ✭✭
    I think it is ok preflop. On Flop this check was to do some X/R? After he checks flop, I probably would bet turn, cuz i think if he have this stats, he would call even with the worst pairs, but the X is ok too, in my opinion.
    River, I think the problem is only on your shove, cuz he is a fish wich limps too much, and these type usually bet when he have something really strong, otherwise he calls, or fold, rarely cases they gonna bluff spots like this.

What is the range you put him to raise your bet and wouldn't bet before? there is something to bluff? I think in the most part he would do something like this with another full, and all fulls in this hand is bigger them yours. I think this river could be call or fold, depending on the information about about him.

Thanks for your feedback Bruce… Very helpful.

It made me realize that I were over confident on the river. I basically decided, that I had the best hand after he checked on 2 streets. In my mind at that time, he could only have 99 that would beat me. And I actually thought the same when analyzing the hand after the session.

Like you say, I would have expected him to bet at least on the turn -after the “probe” check on the flop - if he was sitting on the nuts.

My own plan on the flop was to check/call and then check/raise him on the turn to make him pay me off on my strong hand in case he had Kx. I just realize that I made plans for something i did not control - another thing to work on.

I only have 160 hands on the player and out of only 2 opportunies to C-bet, he did it once. I expected him to bet with Kx - at least on the turn.

Thanks again Bruce for opening my eyes a bit more. I am still learning.
  • TheGameKatTheGameKat Las VegasPosts: 5,045 -
    I think one key question to ask here is what do you get called by when you shove that many big blinds in on the river?
    Moderation In Moderation
  • KossKoss Red Chipper Posts: 112 ✭✭✭
    I like going for the x/r OTF, but when he checks back it's time to bet the turn. It's actually a good card for you because if he has a hand like QQ/AJ/TT/99 that didn't want to bet a K high board, now the 2nd K makes it significantly more likely that his hand is good, so I would have gone ahead and lead out the turn.

When someone waits to the river to get aggro like that it's usually a sign of a significant monster. KK/JJ/99/KJ are all pretty likely. At that depth I actually don't hate 3-betting to 50bb in order to squeeze more out of an oddly played K. A bad player might make the crying call here. Against a tougher player it's just a call of the raise, there's no more value to be had with bottom boat.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file