Working on having a leading range. Hand for thoughts?

KossKoss Red Chipper Posts: 112 ✭✭✭
So I've been working my way through the postflop section of CORE and there were a couple concepts I realized that I wasn't really employing, and felt they came into play here. I'll definitely review them again, but what was going through my head were these 2 concepts:

1. We are more likely to lead in multiway pots.
2. We should be willing to barrel our missed straight draws.

Does this seem like a good application? This is 200NL on Pokerstars, MI at a surprisingly soft table, even for this site. The CO and SB are loose passive fish, and the MP is a LAG, playing a 35/25 VPIP/PFR style.

PokerStars - $2 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 6 players

UTG: 99.53 BB
MP: 224 BB
CO: 50.77 BB
BTN: 132.5 BB
SB: 72.8 BB
Hero (BB): 122.72 BB

SB posts SB 0.5 BB, Hero posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has :8h:6h

fold, MP raises to 2.5 BB, CO calls 2.5 BB, fold, SB calls 2 BB, Hero calls 1.5 BB

Flop: (10 BB, 4 players) :7s:5c:5d
SB checks, Hero bets 5 BB, MP calls 5 BB, CO calls 5 BB, fold

Turn: (25 BB, 3 players) :2s
Hero bets 15.68 BB, MP calls 15.68 BB, fold

River: (56.35 BB, 2 players) :AD:
Hero bets 36.2 BB

My thoughts on this spot was this is a pretty good flop for me. As the BB I have more 5x combos than anyone in the hand, and can put more pressure on overpairs. The A on the river looked good for me as there shouldn't really be many hands by the river that this hits, and it's another scare card for 88-KK.

Comments

• TheGameKatTheGameKat Las VegasPosts: 5,045 -
    edited August 13
    The issue I always have with spots like this is when I put myself in my opponents' shoes I hear them muttering "but they'd ck-ra a 5".
    Moderation In Moderation
  • RoblivionRoblivion WisconsinRed Chipper Posts: 352 ✭✭✭
    I think the issue here is the formation. If you had a 5, you'd be checkraising because all the potential dead money would happen after MP bets and the others call, so it's hard to rep a real hand.

I think it makes more sense to do it on like a 752 flop and probably size down to something like 3-4 BB. This puts MP's two naked overcards in a sucky spot with two guys behind him, and you get to name a cheap price with your draw and shut out some equity when you have 76s or whathaveyou.
  • AKQJ10AKQJ10 Red Chipper Posts: 20 ✭✭
    In a 4-way pot you should be leading most of the time with trip 5s here, no?

I agree opponents may not think so, though, in which case you could try the highly exploitative approach of leading with trips and XR your bluffs unless/until they catch on.
  • TheGameKatTheGameKat Las VegasPosts: 5,045 -
    These low boards with a pair are great IMO for a ck-ra bluff from BB. Assuming somewhat sane ranges from opponents, you're typically the player mostly likely to have the rogue trips.
    Moderation In Moderation

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file