Profiling poker players by nationality

Dermott32Dermott32 Red Chipper Posts: 11 ✭✭
I was wondering if people form opinions on other players abilities or playing styles based on their nationality?
I play mainly online low/mid level tournaments and sit & go's and a small part of my profiling strategy I check where in the world each of my opponents are from.

For example I find Russian & Ukrainians bluff more, Brazilians seem to be more aggressive.
Players from Sweden, Norway & Finland seem to be tight and more passive as the eastern Europeans whom like to go all in more often.
Greek players all seem to be solid regulars/pros and Canadians are best to increase your stack through.
Even noticed my fellow Brits seem to love to slow roll Aces frequently (unlike myself)
this is in my opinion and experiences but I just wondered what others think.

thanks..
Dermott32

Comments

• TheGameKatTheGameKat Las VegasPosts: 5,056 -
    It's absolutely a thing with a causal explanation. When learning the game, a player is more likely to be influenced or coached by someone close geographically or culturally.
    Moderation In Moderation
  • KossKoss Red Chipper Posts: 114 ✭✭✭
    It's not completely baseless, as there probably is a trend to how players from different backgrounds play on average. I find it to be a fairly weak read though, and after an orbit or two it gets completely overridden by what I've seen so far.

My only experience with Scandinavian players contradicts your read quite a bit.
    It was at 7am in Vegas, there were 6 of them at the table, and they were in mid-day form. It was 1-3, they were all drinking heavily, and most pots started out with a $6 straddle, a $15 blind raise, then a $30 blind raise. If they busted they instantly rebought for the max. Some backpacking pro at the table kept throwing a fit and complaining about english only when they would occasionally slip. I wanted to take him out back and have a nice chat with him, as this was a once in a lifetime type of game we were in.
  • TheGameKatTheGameKat Las VegasPosts: 5,056 -
    Agreed, back when I could play internationally "crazy Scandy" was a tag. And also agree that you get more effective data pretty rapidly, so make sure a nationality read is a useful prior, not a cognitive bias.
    Moderation In Moderation
  • Dermott32Dermott32 Red Chipper Posts: 11 ✭✭
    Yes definitely, I tend to just keep it in mind verses an unknown at the beginning as part of my read on players until I'm proven otherwise.
  • MnpokerMnpoker Red Chipper Posts: 211 ✭✭
    No one mentioned the any 2 Asians
  • Albert AAlbert A Red Chipper Posts: 100 ✭✭
    "any 2 Asians" :)) Asians intimidate me to no end! They got gamble, they're aggressive, fearless, tough as nails and I often have no idea where I'm at in the hand. All compliments!! But in the end I agree with Koss: after an orbit or 2, frequencies and betting patterns take over. This is from a "little more than" middle aged white guy wearing a baseball hat with his old army division patch on it! (I use it against you young guns:)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file