How to Identify and Plug Leaks/Weaknesses

AdamJKAdamJK Red Chipper Posts: 3 ✭✭
Hi all. I'm pretty new to the game, and so far, I suck - really badly. I'm doing my best to try and focus on one aspect at a time. I started with tightening up my RFI/3-bet ranges; then on being much tighter OOP (and never calling in SB); I try to place all my opponents on a range (mostly based on the ranges I use, give-or-take depending on how loose/tight they are), and then filtering that range based on their lines; I also tried to be more aggressive, as I've read over and over again in various articles that a common mistake is to call/fold too frequently. But I still suck, really, really, badly. In fact, I'm losing at a much faster rate now than I was before trying to improve.

I really don't want to give up as I love the game. So my question is, how should I go about identifying my biggest leaks/weaknesses and plugging them? I have Poker Tracker 4 and I record all my hands. I mark hands for review and then try and critique my play on those, but this approach hasn't really helped all that much so far.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Tagged:

Comments

• TheGameKatTheGameKat Las VegasPosts: 5,056 -
    From your intro post I note you've been playing for less than 6 weeks. You're supposed to suck, this is a complicated game.

At your current level of experience, I doubt ranging players in real time is helping much, although I'd be interested to know how you employ that info. Initially I'd suggest making sure you're opening ranges are solid. Then you can shift to postflop fundamentals.

Our CORE training program is designed to speed your process to reach breakeven before you go on to be a winning player.
    Moderation In Moderation
  • AdamJKAdamJK Red Chipper Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited September 3
    Hey Kat! Thanks for super speedy response :-)

I've been working through Core, and the information on there totally makes sense and I've really been enjoying it. But I think I'm still having some trouble applying it. I guess that's just down to experience though - I do sometimes expect too much of myself in a short space of time.

One thing I've noticed is that I'm actually slightly winning in regular 6-max games. But losing really badly in fast (e.g., Zoom) games. I'm not sure what that means though, other than maybe I'm not good at thinking quickly yet.

On putting my opponents on ranges: to be honest, at the moment the best I can do is decide whether my opponent's range is capped and, e.g., try and think about whether a flop is likely to connect with me or my opponent more (e.g., if I RFI from BTN and V calls from BB and flop comes 3 4 J rainbow, then I try and think about how more of V's range connects with that flop than mine). I'm not really too sure what to do with that info in that situation other than be wary if V starts betting into me and I don't have a strong hand.

I think what I need is another avenue of practice (other than playing). So I think I'll grab a copy of the Split Suit's workbooks and give those a go.
  • TheGameKatTheGameKat Las VegasPosts: 5,056 -
    Experience is extremely important. By reputation, Zoom tables are intrinsically tougher than regular 6-max.

SplitSuit's workbooks are an excellent resource, particularly for those who benefit from a high number of off-table reps.
    Moderation In Moderation

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file