AQ on J-high Rainbow

AdamJKAdamJK Red Chipper Posts: 7 ✭✭
edited October 13 in Online Poker Hands
Hi folks. I'm still a newbie struggling with postflop play so I thought I'd start sharing some hands to help me improve. This is one from 5nl Zoom:

PokerStars - $0.05 NL FAST (6 max) - Holdem - 6 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

BTN: 299.6 BB
SB: 196.2 BB
BB: 62.4 BB
Hero (UTG): 100 BB
MP: 168.4 BB
CO: 90 BB

SB posts SB 0.4 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.4 BB) Hero has :Ah:QC:

Hero raises to 3 BB, fold, fold, fold, fold, BB calls 2 BB

Flop: (6.4 BB, 2 players) :6h:Jc:8S:
BB checks, Hero bets 2 BB, BB raises to 6 BB, Hero calls 4 BB

Turn: (18.4 BB, 2 players) :QD:
BB bets 12 BB, Hero calls 12 BB

River: (42.4 BB, 2 players) :TC:
BB checks, Hero checks

BB shows :7C::9D: (Straight, Queen High)
(Pre 36%, Flop 47%, Turn 18%)
Hero mucks :AH::QC: (One Pair, Queens)
(Pre 64%, Flop 53%, Turn 82%)
BB wins 40.6 BB

My thoughts/questions are:
  1. I thought the the flop favoured my range slightly, so decided to C-bet. However, I think maybe I should have bet bigger to try and fold-out some worse hands.
  2. Facing the flop raise, I'm unsure whether or not I should have called. I had two overs and a backdoor draw to the nut straight, so I reasoned it would be a good call as I could potentially win big against sets or worse straights.
  3. On the turn, I was put in an awkward spot, facing a sizeable bet but now having top-pair top-kicker. My hunch was that villain had a set, but I found myself calling anyway. Was this a fishy call?
  4. When villain checked the river, I considered betting for a pot-sized bet as a bluff, as (a) I have AK here often whereas she doesn't and (b) I had top-pair and so wouldn't necessarily lose if called. However, I'm still not too confident with bluffing and chickened out. In retrospect, I'm not sure if it would have been a good bluff anyway, as my hand has equity and so perhaps it was the right decision to just go to showdown.

Any feedback on the above thoughts/questions would be really appreciated. Thanks everyone!
Tagged:

Comments

• TheGameKatTheGameKat Las VegasPosts: 5,119 -
    1. Have you put the two ranges in Equilab to investigate how this board interacts with the two ranges? Don't understand your point about sizing to fold out worse hands.
    2. Probably close, but at the micros I think this ck-ra is more often value than semi-bluff?
    3. The bigger problem is the most natural draw just came in.
    4. After the turn call I don't think you can sell AK.
    Moderation In Moderation
  • AdamJKAdamJK Red Chipper Posts: 7 ✭✭
    Thanks for the response Kat.

(1) I haven't done that yet. I'll make sure to do it today. I misspoke on the 'fold out worse hands' thing (it had been a long day). What I meant was that if I did have range advantage on that board, I could have bet big as a bluff in an attempt to take it down early.

(2) I'm not sure about that. I have run into a lot of aggression recently where players have been ck-ra'ing with semi-bluffs. But I don't have a particularly big sample size so that might not be representative of what is typically seen at this stake. I guess so long as you don't think that's a completely fishy call then I'm okay with that. At the moment I've been trying to continue more often in an attempt to follow the 70% model mentioned in CORE. I know that 70% isn't a set in stone figure, but I was continuing waaay less than that before and so I've been trying to always think of what in my range I'd continue/fold with on each flop. Maybe AQo was too optimistic, there are probably better hands in my range I could continue with here.

(3) Jeez, I didn't even realize that at the time. I've still got quite a bit of work to do!

(4) Ah, ok, that's interesting. So if I'd have had AK on the turn, do you think I should have raised? I'm not sure I would have, so that might be something else I need to improve on.

Thanks again mate.
    If you had AK, raising turn would be... interesting, but I suspect at 5NL a little ambitious. I'd just fold with that hand facing a pretty chunky bet.

Overall, this hand illustrates there are some decently aggressive players in your pool. I mostly like the way your opponent played this hand, although I think they should've value bet the end.

That said, I'd guess most of your opponents will be too passive. As a result, you can likely come down a bit from that 70% number IP. And OOP you shouldn't be c-betting and/or continuing anywhere close to 70% on most boards.

The bottom line with the 70% model is it's a mathematically interesting rubric to avoid being exploited by aggressive players who know what they're doing. Against passive players, there are several scenarios where trying to worry about that model is likely to cause more harm than good.
    Moderation In Moderation
  • KossKoss Red Chipper Posts: 128 ✭✭✭
    TheGameKat wrote: »
    Overall, this hand illustrates there are some decently aggressive players in your pool. I mostly like the way your opponent played this hand, although I think they should've value bet the end.

I also think it's a pretty poor defend preflop. But the x/r and turn barrel with the OESD seem good. I also agree they should have bet the river.

I think by and large you played the hand fine against an unknown opponent. The board is good for a small c-bet. This hand is probably on the cusp of what we defend against a small flop x/r but I don't think it's a big mistake if it is one at all. Turn call with TPTK is mandatory, and river xb also seems mandatory.

The only real question is if you know the player pool well enough to make checking back the flop or folding to the x/r a better play. But I'm going to guess you likely took the solver approved line here, which in an information vacuum is definitely a good option.
    Thanks for the feedback! No I don't think I know the player pool well enough yet. And it's a pretty big pool too so I rarely see the same players again. I have some stats on a few players, but nothing over a large sample size.

Out of interest, if villain had bet the river, would you be calling? I imagine that would be dependent on the size of the bet.
    Seems optimistic to call with a 4-liner on board. Maybe I can talk myself into V playing a Jx really strangely and turning it into a bluff, at least facing a small bet.
    Moderation In Moderation
    I ran this through GTO+ last night and it's basically always folding my hand on the river even facing a small bet so that chimes with what you're saying. (It also doesn't have AQo on the river often as it's folding it out to that flop raise). Thanks folks, this has really helped me.
    Interesting, thanks for reporting back on that.
    Moderation In Moderation

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file