SB posts SB 0.4 BB, Hero posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.4 BB) Hero has :4s:4D:

fold, fold, fold, fold, SB raises to 3 BB, Hero calls 2 BB

Flop: (6 BB, 2 players) :8s:2d:8d
SB checks, Hero bets 3 BB, SB calls 3 BB

Turn: (12 BB, 2 players) :5h
SB checks, Hero bets 9 BB, fold

Hero wins 11.4 BB

Looking for thoughts on the line and river plan assuming villain checks river...

What cards would you triple barrel on and how much?

What cards would you check back?

Comments

• TheGameKatTheGameKat Las VegasPosts: 5,326 -
    I don't think I triple barrel anything. The purpose of the previous bets is some sort of thin value/protection/deny equity thing. The texture supports FDs and is likely to get calls from pocket pairs. I guess on a A/K river we could use it as a bluff card to try and fold out the pairs, but in a BvB situation I doubt it'd be profitable since we'll still get called frequently.
    Moderation In Moderation
  • Ritter422Ritter422 Red Chipper Posts: 28 ✭✭
    TheGameKat wrote: »
    The purpose of the previous bets is some sort of thin value/protection/deny equity thing.

I'm going to use that at every opportunity... LOL

"Hey Ritter, why'd you bet there?"

"Oh, that was some sort of thin value/protection/deny equity thing..."

Not sure why that makes me chortle with self-deprecating laughter but it does.

I know bets like that to actually come from my quiver of "I want the pot more than you do" arrows that I probably need to send back to 2010 where I learned them...

Fold pre?
    Check or fold all streets?
    I think your line is fine. Might go a little smaller on the flop. Definitely can't fold pre, you have position. Oh, and a pair.
    Moderation In Moderation
    Thanks. I'm trying to get over my phobia of posting hands having acknowledged that it is a fundamental tool to getting me to review hands which is the only way I'm going to improve.

I'm a 2+2 trauma survivor. It's been ten years since my last hand history.

Twoplustwobuse?
    It's unfortunate 2+2 scared so many people off, particularly given that back in the day the strat advice was decent. But yeah it did attract some... uhm... less than pleasant people.
    Moderation In Moderation
    OK, let's look at blind, spewy aggression OOP...

$0.05 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 5 players

CO: 119.8 BB
    BTN: 111.2 BB
    SB: 98 BB
    Hero (BB): 365.2 BB
    UTG: 97.8 BB

SB posts SB 0.4 BB, Hero posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.4 BB) Hero has :Ad:Jh

fold, CO raises to 3 BB, fold, fold, Hero raises to 9.4 BB, CO calls 6.4 BB

Flop: (19.2 BB, 2 players) :2h:Th:TC:
    Hero bets 5.2 BB, CO calls 5.2 BB

Turn: (29.6 BB, 2 players) :8d
    Hero bets 8.2 BB, CO calls 8.2 BB

River: (46 BB, 2 players) :6d
    Hero bets 23 BB, fold

Hero wins 43.8 BB

I'm betting the flop because my range is uncapped and the CB is natural. Smaller size also invites draws in case I have a T.

Barrels 2 & 3 both due to villain failing to raise any street telling me he's on a heart draw, overs or some middle small pair.

Criticism welcome.
    I'd 3-bet bigger pre. I like the flop sizing, but wonder if you should ratchet up the turn a bit? Sort of surprised this got through since the river is a poor bluff card. Like if they have 77/99 here, nothing changed.
    Moderation In Moderation
    Can you help me understand what you mean by "poor bluff card"?

Ritter422 wrote: »
    Can you help me understand what you mean by "poor bluff card"?

I'll try. Your preflop line will be interpreted (probably correctly) as indicating big pairs and big unpaired cards. Thus if a big card falls on the river you can reasonably bluff it. The 6 that falls doesn't change the board, nor does it connect with your range.
    Moderation In Moderation
  • MnpokerMnpoker Red Chipper Posts: 228 ✭✭
    Cat does the fact that Hero lead on every street help show strength and help open the river bluff as an already made hand or are the bets too small to tell that story?
    Mnpoker wrote: »
    Cat does the fact that Hero lead on every street help show strength and help open the river bluff as an already made hand or are the bets too small to tell that story?

Interesting question. Typically I'm hesitant to put too much weight on what our line might suggest to an opponent, since I make a point of playing against opponents whose thought processes are strange. Further, on the flop in particular, general flop texture and range considerations sort of compel us to bet small. So I suspect we'd use similar sizing with an overpair, and as the OP notes, it appears villain either decided our third barrel indicated we had such a hand and they folded, or they simply missed a draw.
    Moderation In Moderation

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file