Am I a fish?

CononthepokerCononthepoker Red Chipper Posts: 53 ✭✭
Heres a hand from a crazy game I played in a couple weeks ago - the game is £1/£2 with an optional £5 straddle which can go round to the button - the game is super deep and we have regularly seen the straddle go £10/£20/£40 even up to £80 in one hand...this game had some serious action!

Anyways I am UTG and have straddled to £5 - I have the effective stack of £350

I have :Kc :8s

There is an additional straddle of £10 and we see 6 callers round to me, now I have a pretty garbage hand however I only need to put in an extra £5 to see a flop and the pot is already £75...I call and the UTG+1 checks

We see a flop of :Kd :9h :8C:

Pretty nice flop - it is checked to me and I also elect to check as the aggro maniac in UTG+2 has bet every single flop if it is checked to him - as expected he bets £15 and he gets one caller from the button and it is round to me - I decide to call.

My reasoning here is there are no flush draws and the only straight draws I am scared of are 10 7 or 10 J holdings, I think the players in the CO would have certainly raise pre with 10 J and also would with a suited 10 7. The only hand I can be realistically behind at this point is K 9 or maybe pocket 8's?

The turn is a very safe :2s

I decide to check again and allow aggro guy to bet again which he obligingly does for £35

At this point I put him on basically every Kx hand

The button calls which is making me a bit nervous now as he is a solid TAG and will not be in the hand with nothing but I really cant put him on any sets so maybe he does have a straight draw?

I elect to raise it up at this point and make it £125 - I want to charge both players here for more cards but in hindsight maybe this was a bit small? Should be more like £175 I think?
Either way I am basically pot committed by the river anyway and my intention is to jam all rivers regardless of what comes.

UTG+2 thinks about it and makes the call and the button eventually folds after a bit of tanking

The river is the :TD: and I carry out my plan of jamming the river for my last £200 UTG+2 snaps calls me and triumphantly turns over :Ks :Qs and says and I quote "I've got you this time ya f***ing fish"

He is not happy when I show him my cards...

Now I have some history with this guy and I think he just doesnt like me very much, I have never done anything to him personally beyond winning some poker hands against him but is he right? Am I a fish? He has me thinking about all my life choices up this point...not really but thought this might warrant some discussion

Comments

• TheGameKatTheGameKat Las VegasPosts: 5,479 -
    I'd probably check-raise flop.
    Moderation In Moderation
  • elvidaelvida Red Chipper Posts: 105 ✭✭
    Taking to heart comments about your poker acumen from low stakes players is like letting a high school kid who has watched House make surgical decisions for you. To quote Inigo Montoya (Princess Bride).."You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means."
  • LoveFishLoveFish IllinoisRed Chipper Posts: 184 ✭✭
    edited January 28
    I like leading these kinds of flops when we are super multi-Way in a limped pot. Getting it Checked through is a disaster for us.

As played
    Calling pre is okay.

Flop: Lead or check raise flop

Turn: raise sizing is fine.

River: shove is fine.
    LoveFish wrote: »
    I like leading these kinds of flops when we are super multi-Way in a limped pot. Getting it Checked through is a disaster for us.

Agree with that, but OP promises us action from UTG+2.
    Moderation In Moderation
  • RedRed Red Chipper Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 17
    Now I have some history with this guy and I think he just doesnt like me very much, I have never done anything to him personally beyond winning some poker hands against him but is he right? Am I a fish? He has me thinking about all my life choices up this point...not really but thought this might warrant some discussion
    In short as I've 2 mn to write now: yes you are a fish. There are plenty of issues and mistakes in how your played your hand. But you're on RCP, so I guess you train to get better, which is the first steps to improvement. Keep going!

Also and more importantly: don't mind this guy, who also is a very bad player. He is just toxic, forget him and enjoy his chips.
  • CononthepokerCononthepoker Red Chipper Posts: 53 ✭✭
    @Red Would love to hear your thoughts on my mistakes, I cant improve if I dont know what they are :)
  • RedRed Red Chipper Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Red Would love to hear your thoughts on my mistakes, I cant improve if I dont know what they are :)

So few things without any order of importance by re-reading your original post. Also please note that I'm not at the peak I once was.

Playing the straddle is setting money on fire.
    The blinds are position where you can only lose money in the long run against Villains of your level or above. You want to play poker well? Don't straddle. There are (to me) only 2 situations to straddle: a) If you've a sound and aggro short stack strategy* and Villains play too weakly; b) Villains are bad and gambly, it's better to straddle from time to time to keep the atmosphere gambly-happy and you taking advantage of the flying chips (losing a little playing the straddle; winning a lot otherwise).
    *Realize that every straddle halves your stack (bb-wise). So 350£ is 175bb with 2£ bb; you put yourself 70bb deep after your own 5£ straddle; and UTG+1 straddling with 10£ now make you play 35bb deep. Do you know your 35bb preflop shove range?

You completed with a garbage hand. Stop play trash to stop losing money. K8o is to be tossed right away without any thoughts - except in very specific situations (almost all of them being in BU v. BB set-up).

And don't think "it's only 5£". That's why many are losing a lot of money when playing SB in the first place.
    This remembered me of this - very - old RCP article: https://redchippoker.com/complete-small-blind-in-live-poker/

You played kinda passively postflop. Ok, I can understand the check flop if you know Villain is a chips-happy maniac. But then don't call, rather raise! Especially OOP, where you don't decide the last action of the street.

You raised Turn. A blank. How does this blank helps your range? What story are you selling to V by check-raising a blank turn? This means that you've little to no idea of your range.
  • elvidaelvida Red Chipper Posts: 105 ✭✭
    Red wrote: »
    Playing the straddle is setting money on fire.

Most important thing in the post (the rest is good too).

Since the topic of the straddle cropped up, you may like to check out an article we recently updated to reflect current views on the topic.
    Moderation In Moderation
  • CononthepokerCononthepoker Red Chipper Posts: 53 ✭✭
    Thanks for your great responses, I will look at the articles mentioned and do some more homework :)
  • Jimmy3150Jimmy3150 Red Chipper Posts: 376 ✭✭
    [quote="Am I a fish? He has me thinking about all my life choices up this point...not really but thought this might warrant some discussion[/quote]

Everyone is terrible at poker, especially at low stakes. Even those guys you think are good / solid … they are not.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file