2NL Beginner - Hand review advice

ChromakeyPancakeChromakeyPancake Red Chipper Posts: 5 ✭✭
edited May 14 in Online Poker Hands
Hi all!

I've just started reviewing my sessions and I wouldn't mind getting some input from someone more experienced on whether this is the way I should be review my hands or if I'm not going in enough depth.

It really isn't a particularly exciting hand, but I think I identified an opportunity to improve my play here. Would love to know if I'm reviewing my hands correctly or if I'm getting things wrong before I start going down the wrong rabbit hole :smiley:

GG Poker - $0.02 NL FAST (6 max) - Holdem - 6 players
Hand converted by Holdem Manager 3

BTN: $2.44 (122 bb)
SB: $2.05 (102.5 bb)
BB: $2.12 (106 bb)
UTG: $2.37 (118.5 bb)
Hero (MP): $2.33 (116.5 bb)
CO: $3.13 (156.5 bb)

SB posts $0.01, BB posts $0.02

Pre Flop: (pot: $0.03) Hero has 3heart4.gif Kheart4.gif
fold, Hero folds, fold, BTN raises to $0.07, 2 folds

Results: $0.05 pot ($0.00 rake)

BTN wins $0.05

Note I only have VPIP to go off here as it seems to be the only stat I can access from GGpoker once the hand is played.

My notes after reviewing the session with HM3 & Flopzilla:

Preflop:

Villain 25% vpip. Calling my open raise UTG I put him on a range of:

TT-88,55,33-22,A9s-A8s,A5s,A3s-A2s,KTs-K8s,K5s,QTs-Q8s,T9s-T8s,98s,53s,AQo,ATo,KQo,Ac7c,Ad7d,Ah6h,Ac6c,Ad6d,Ac4c,Ad4d,As4s,Kc7c,Kd7d,Kh6h,Kc6c,Kd6d,AhJd,AhJs,AcJh,AcJd,AcJs,AdJh,AdJs,AsJh,AsJd,KhJd,KhJs,KcJh,KcJd,KcJs,KdJh,KdJs,KsJh,KsJd,JdJh,JsJh,JsJd,JhTh,JdTd,JsTs,Jh9h,Jd9d,Js9s,Jh8h,Jd8d,Js8s,Tc7c,Td7d,9c7c,9d7d,8c7c,8d7d,8h6h,8c6c,8d6d,7d7c,7c6c,7d6d,7c5c,7d5d,6c6h,6d6h,6d6c,6h5h,6c5c,6d5d,6c4c,6d4d,5c4c,5d4d,5s4s,4d4c,4s4c,4s4d,4c3c,4d3d,4s3s

Flop:

I think this is a missed cbet opportunity. With mid pair, I have 56% equity vs villain's range. Not many Js or pocket overpairs in their range, and I have a chance of landing an OESD on the turn for a slight extra bit of equity. Cbetting for protection here gives me a chance to avoid overcards & draws on the turn that may improve villain's hand. My perceived range contains pocket overpairs and Js so I think they fold here most of the time.

Turn:

I land the OESD, and still have strong equity (56%), so a bet here seems correct.

Thanks guys!
Tagged:

Comments

• ChromakeyPancakeChromakeyPancake Red Chipper Posts: 5 ✭✭
    Wow, I'm off to a great start... I just realised I posted the wrong hand history :blush:

Here's the actual hand those notes apply to:

GG Poker - $0.02 NL FAST (6 max) - Holdem - 6 players
    Hand converted by Holdem Manager 3

BTN: $2.09 (104.5 bb)
    SB: $1.88 (94 bb)
    BB: $3.47 (173.5 bb)
    Hero (UTG): $2.24 (112 bb)
    MP: $3.50 (175 bb)
    CO: $2.49 (124.5 bb)

SB posts $0.01, BB posts $0.02

Pre Flop: (pot: $0.03) Hero has 6spade4.gif 7spade4.gif
    Hero raises to $0.06, 2 folds, BTN calls $0.06, 2 folds

Flop: ($0.15, 2 players) 4heart4.gif Jclub4.gif 7heart4.gif
    Hero checks, BTN checks

Turn: ($0.15, 2 players) 8spade4.gif
    Hero bets $0.12, fold

Results: $0.15 pot ($0.00 rake)
    Final Board: 4heart4.gif Jclub4.gif 7heart4.gif 8spade4.gif

Hero wins $0.15
  • TheGameKatTheGameKat Las VegasPosts: 5,479 -
    Preflop that open is much wider than we recommend.

Flop, I think there's an argument for c-betting for protection. I'm not sure how BTN's VPIP leads you to conclude that is their calling range, but it looks plausible, albeit pretty bad.

Turn, you pick up a gutter not an OESD. Betting seems fine.
    Moderation In Moderation
    Thank you, I did find putting them on a range particularly difficult as cold calling open raises isn't a big part of my play outside of the BB position at the moment, so I didn't have much of a reference point to start with.
  • QQueen_playy22QQueen_playy22 Red Chipper Posts: 22 ✭✭
    Hey, thanks for posting the hand.

I like checking in this spot as it gives us some hands that we could check-call-flop and check-call-turn as we have the chance to pick up equity on turn and get closer to showdown.

As for betting, I feel like it depends what villain would call your bet with on the flop. If you expect to generate lots of folds with a bet, betting can be very profitable.

Play around with Break-even%'s.

For example, if you risk $12 to win $15 you would need villain to fold 44% of the time for your bet to breakeven.

Be% = (risk)/((risk)+(reward)) = (12)/((12)+(15)) = 0.44 or 44%

This can be very helpful in deciding whether to turn a pair into a bluff. So if you believe that villain is folding over 50% to a flop cbet, betting seems fine.

This is a great free tool that you can use without having to do calculations;

https://redchippoker.com/fold-equity-calculator/

All the best.
    Thank you both, very helpful!
  • GreifkinGreifkin Red Chipper Posts: 2 ✭✭
    This is a very interesting hand in my opinion. You are oop in a heads-up pot, with a weak pair no kicker on a somewhat wet board. I have a couple of questions for you.
    If you had QQ+ what would you do on the flop?
    If you had 8's nines or tens, what would you do?
    What about AK of hearts?
    The reason I ask is because all of these hands and more should be in your PF raising range, and a hand like 67s on THIS PARTICULAR board should be played in a similar fashion as the ones asked about. I'm suggestion that your 67s is on the lower end of what you would do with pairs, in this fairly common situation. The reason for this is that the caller has a wide and weak PF calling range. Wouldn't they have re-raise PF with AK, AQ, JJ+? Which means that their range is most likely still weak pairs or draw heavy because of the flop call.
    so, I think your open raise, and flop bet are good choices. The turn is where it gets interesting. I would suggest you consider checking all of the hand mentioned above on the turn. Here is why, what better hands than yours will fold? How about worse hands that will call? When you're betting oop you're trying to get one of those things to happen, my suggestion is a check, even with AA. This sign of weakness opens up the betting range of the player who is in position dramatically. Meaning they will bet more weaker made hands, draws, and bluffs. If you do have 56% equity against their range, let them bet their range.
    The toughest part about learning to hand read, from my personal experience, is call down bets and finding out they had you crushed the whole time. But, you have to practice calling, betting, and raising vs their WHOLE range.

• QQueen_playy22QQueen_playy22 Red Chipper Posts: 22 ✭✭
    It's a good suggestion to play cautiously when the turn card hits, assuming we have a hand like Top Pair or an Overpair that bet the flop.

Another option could be to bet small like 40% Pot and target hands like Pair + Gutshot such as; 97s, 75s, 76s, 98s, 86s, 85s etc..

If these hands do decide to call our bet, our equity is good when called.

I believe taking this line works well versus passive opponents as we can safely fold to a turn-raise and by betting small we keep control of the pot in case a bad river card comes.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file