NL10 Awkward Spot with Set

GinxssGinxss Red Chipper Posts: 7 ✭✭
Hey guys,
this is a hand where I was pretty unsure wether I messed up or not, and I'm looking forward to reading your thoughts.

---

PokerStars - $0.10 NL - Holdem - 8 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

MP: 131.3 BB
MP+1: 110.9 BB
Hero (CO): 100 BB
BTN: 82.6 BB
SB: 152 BB
BB: 69.7 BB
UTG: 52.3 BB
UTG+1: 100 BB

SB posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has 9:club: 9:heart:

fold, fold, fold, MP+1 raises to 3 BB, Hero raises to 9 BB, fold, SB calls 8.5 BB, fold, fold

Flop: (22 BB, 2 players) K:heart: 6:heart: 2:heart:
SB checks, Hero bets 7 BB, SB calls 7 BB

Turn: (36 BB, 2 players) 9:diamond:
SB checks, Hero bets 17 BB, SB raises to 34 BB, Hero calls 17 BB

River: (104 BB, 2 players) Q:spade:
SB bets 43 BB, Hero calls 43 BB

SB shows Q:heart: A:heart: (Flush, Ace High)
(Pre 47%, Flop 97%, Turn 77%)
Hero mucks 9:club: 9:heart: (Three of a Kind, Nines)
(Pre 53%, Flop 3%, Turn 23%)
SB wins 181.4 BB

---

Calling the min-raise on the turn seemed fine to me, especially because I get direct odds to draw to a FH in case he has a flush. Do you also think calling is superior to re-raising in this spot?

Mainly I'm concerned with the river action. This seemed like a very close spot to me. Do you think because of the min-raise on the turn, he is heavily weighted towards flushes? Or do I just have to call down with my set in case he made weird turn bluff with an Ah or any pair+fd combo?
I think 66 is less likely because he would probably not given such good odds to any heart on the turn. But then again, I have seen people do much crazier things.

Also, I always struggle with assigning ranges to people who cold-call 3-bets from the blinds. What range would you assign him? (He was a 18/16 over 284 hands in full ring, so a little loosey-goosey, but nothing crazy).

As you can tell, I'm pretty confused about this hand and would appreciate your input.
Thanks!

Comments

• TheGameKatTheGameKat Las VegasPosts: 5,479 -
    Given that calling a 3-bet from the SB is invariably a poor play, I'm not sure the preflop range is that useful. That said, you'll likely see plenty of the big broadway stuff and the bigger pairs up to at least QQ.

As to your line... Betting flop small is fine, although probably not compulsory. I'd also be inclined to call the click-back check-raise. River seems close to me. Some players will semi-bluff the Ah on the flop with two to come. Similarly if they have the small sets (unlikely?) they may check-raise even when they shouldn't. Might be one of these where the solver prefers a river call, but against most opponents it's an exploitative fold.
    Moderation In Moderation

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file