a good hand to 3 barrel with?

MarrekMarrek Red Chipper Posts: 104
edited September 2014 in Online Poker Hands
Hi all

I had been playing vs this guy for about 50 hands. He seemed pretty ABC. He definitely did not read board textures well, and did have some sizing tells. He tried a few weird, rep-nothing bluffs. He also tried to rep that he hit a paired board river (for trips) after checking the turn, in a spot where i expected him to barrel in order to show up with trips. He overbet that hand and i called and won.

His flop Cbet is only 46%, his 2brl is 60%. so he's not betting the flop enough, but does seem to be pretty polarized on the flop still.

BTN/SB: $201.66
Hero (BB): $100.00

Pre Flop: ($1.50) Hero is BB with 7club.gif 8spade.gif
BTN/SB raises to $2, Hero calls $1

Flop: ($4.00) 5heart.gif 4spade.gif Jdiamond.gif(2 players)
Hero checks, BTN/SB bets $2.86, Hero raises to $9, BTN/SB calls $6.14

this is my 1st check/raise of the match, and its a standard hand for me

Turn: ($22.00) 9club.gif(2 players)
Hero bets $16, BTN/SB calls $16

I would have given up on blanks, barreled once more on a :3? , obv a :6? 6, and a :T? . The
:9c gives me more equity so i barrel.

When he calls me twice, i think he mostly has a JX to 5x strength hand. Barreling the river is going to be close, but a i'll always barrel a :3? It connects with my most obv bluff and is a blank for him. An 8 might be bad to barrel on this runout. At the time i thought it would make him some 2 pairs, but in reality, it only makes a few. The 8 is not an overcard to the jack, which would be nice.

River: ($54.00) Kdiamond.gif(2 players)
Hero bets $37.50

So, the :Kd doesn't connect with him at all and i barrel. It leaves him with a 2nd or 3rd pair. In reality, the king doesn't change the relative strength of his hand, but like i said in the intro, he wasn't reading textures well, and he might consider it scary.

If i want to be barreling

J5s (2 combos)
J4s(2 combos)
45o/s(12 combos)
44 (3 combos)
55 (3 combos)
KJo ( 9 combos but I don't always check/raise it, so lets say 6 combos) ( i 3b AJo vs a min open)
____
28 combos

i need to have 14 bluffing combos
There are 16 combos each of 78o/s , 86o/s, 67s/o ( 48 combos) I don't usually check / raise A2/A3 here as they have some showdown value with a call.

So, rather than just picking 30% of that range and always barreling it, I like the idea of picking the best 30% of river cards and barreling on them, regardless of which draw i hold

46 remaining cards, I need to choose the best 14 river cards to barrel on.
:3? and :8? are the perfect cards to pick, that's 8

one more card...
Q, J, T don't connect with me
the King hits a few of my comobs (6)
the ace connects with 23s, but that's only 4 combos
8 and 7 don't smash my hands, they mostly make weak pairs for my draws ( 7 hits 63s)
2 hits my (4) 36s combos.

So the king is the next best card for my range. I did not consider that at the time, i just knew it was a blank for him and he was left with a 1 pair hand, 2nd or 3rd, most of the time.

so the king is another 4 combos, and i need a few more. I guess any Ace or 2 hit me with the same infrequency, but an ace has some scare potential, and probably makes a better bluff card vs this villain. Vs a better board reader, i suspect a 2 would be a bluff card. An ace on the board also reduces his combos of AJ, which is his one of his calling hands.

Thoughts on my hand/ranges?

Comments

• MarrekMarrek Red Chipper Posts: 104
    Actually a 7 might be better than an ace or 2 to barrel, because it his 63s and my 68 gut-shots. An ace is still prob better vs someone who is not reading hand ranges well.
  • persuadeopersuadeo Red Chipper Posts: 4,376 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting. Just a few questions:

1) you say that you were going to give up on certain blanks on the turn, but with all those value combos you list under your river section, which are apparently the value combos you can have, none of them would have given up on any turn. How do you resolve this contradiction?

2) Why are you so sure a K is a blank for this fellow's range? Related to this, do you still have him on 5x (among his other holdings) on the river when you put in the last barrel? Do you feel that instead of checking back your equity on the turn in position, you are now absolutely committed to a 3rd barrel, and does this mesh with your read that this player doesn't read the board well?

nice post.
  • MarrekMarrek Red Chipper Posts: 104
    persuadeo wrote:
    Interesting. Just a few questions:

1) you say that you were going to give up on certain blanks on the turn, but with all those value combos you list under your river section, which are apparently the value combos you can have, none of them would have given up on any turn. How do you resolve this contradiction?

Basically, i still have lots of hands i'll continue bluffing with on the turn. Weak gutshots are not in that range.

When i check-raise this flop, the non-made hands i have include str8 draws, gut-shot draws, back-door flush draws, hands like QT and T9, and some 4x. I'm just giving up on the turn with the hands that have less than 6 outs ( unless the turn is a 3 or 8 - then i give it one more shot) So i don't continue with a gut-shot, or T9, QT, 4x, unless i improve to an 8 out draw. Same goes for hands like :Kd:6d. If i don't improve to a str8 draw or flush draw, i give up with them. With this hand on this board, i'm only continuing on about 25% of turns.

This strategy has me not continuing enough on the turn (on rainbow flops) ( actually i'll check this later today for my continuing frequency), but, its not a big problem for my entire range, because I always have hands in my range that i do continue to bluff with. I always barrel all 23s, 67s, 63s, regardless of the turn card, and I barrel all the hands that improved on the turn card to a good draw.

Between all the hands i win outright, actually have it, turn/river bluff successfully, or fold before a showdown, it's going to take a long while for someone to figure out my strategy. Also, i'll adjust it based on what i see.

This is all my default strategy.

persuadeo wrote:
    2) Why are you so sure a K is a blank for this fellow's range?

Well, he can have KJ and QT in his range, but I think most of his range is
    Jx, TT, 88, 77, 66, 6x. I don't think he is calling my checkraise and turn barrel AK. I guess KQ is possible, but some ppl fold the flop with it. if he's calling me that wide, he probably has lots of other hands too, AQ, AT, K4, etc.
    persuadeo wrote:
    Related to this, do you still have him on 5x (among his other holdings) on the river when you put in the last barrel?

yes. I think he probably calls the flop with any pair, and he's probably not folding too many pairs on the turn. Its hard to say b/c its my first check-raised pot. Some ppl fold 5x on the turn, others don't. the 9 doesn't change much in my eyes, but some ppl just give up with with weak pairs vs 2brls.
    persuadeo wrote:
    Do you feel that instead of checking back your equity on the turn in position, you are now absolutely committed to a 3rd barrel, and does this mesh with your read that this player doesn't read the board well?

yeah, i don't look to check back in these spots as a default. If you want to barrel value hands, you need to have bluffs.

I don't think he's ever folding Jx on the turn. He's not folding T9, QT, or A9 if he has them. He's not folding a draw if he has it. But he is likely folding A7, 4x etc. Also, i can fold out much of his range when i barrel the turn and can fold out most of whats left with river barrel.

It would make alot of sense to check back if the guy was folding 80% to check-raises.
    persuadeo wrote:
    nice post.

Thanks. I have random thoughts rattling around in my head and i'm trying to sort out which ones make sense.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file