$1/$2 Live - A7s From The SB

SplitSuitSplitSuit RCP Coach Posts: 4,070 -
edited September 2014 in Live Poker Hands
I was playing $1/$2 at a club in Portland this weekend when this fun spot came up. I want to run the hand out two different ways to get your opinions on it.

Info:

Hero (SB): $250. Been veeeeeeeeery tight for the last hour since the table has been pretty splashy and I've been getting zero hands/spots.

BB: $100. Just reloaded for his third $100 after spewing off $100 preflop the last two hands in a row. He's tilting like hell.

UTG: $300. Thinking player who needs people to know he's a smart guy

MP1: $800. Running like God, allegedly doesn't like to gamble and took longer than he should have to stack off AQ preflop against the BB in the previous hand. Doesn't seem tricky.

UTG limps, MP1 limps, folds to me in the SB with :As:7s

I complete and the spewy BB quickly makes it $20.

Q1: What is your line if it folds back to you?
Q2: What is your line if either of the other players call?
📑 Grab my custom poker spreadsheet pack right now.
📘 Start the Preflop & Math Poker Workbook today.

Comments

• BetStackBetStack Red Chipper Posts: 24 ✭✭
    For me ... both lines are a fold ... when only completing in the SB

Even if we call and hit an ace, its not feeling too good for me (never leave home without your kicker).

1/2NL I've seen a lot of AKo/AQo limp to see a flop and A7s is in a bad spot here.

Doesn't a flush draw flop ~10% of the time so not feeling too good about that either really.

When opponents are 'Running like a God' I tend to avoid them unless I have a pure-value hand. They often have momentum, less likely to find folds under pressure, and their marginal calls might be getting there so may figure "why not" ...

If the BB is spew-squeezing on a naked bluff then let him have the $2 and I'll get back that plus more in a later spot.
  • HappySumoHappySumo Red Chipper Posts: 58
    If you have a tilting guy in the BB and you think he is 'tilting like hell' then you could consider re-raising here. I hate calling the $20 in either spot from OOP with a bad hand- so its re-raise or fold. If all limpers call their range is capped and there is enough money to limp re-raise. If its just heads up I might just fold but I could see an argument for re-raising him all-in HU.
  • tagliustaglius Red Chipper Posts: 290 ✭✭
    grunch: folding both. Give me better position and I might play.

(PS: original complete here is fine, I fold a ton from the SB on a limped pot, but a suited ace is something I will play).
  • Christian SotoChristian Soto RCP Coach Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭✭
  • ChipTraderChipTrader Red Chipper Posts: 178
    3 bet because of the blocker, suited and player.
    if UTG 4 bets fold.
  • starling81starling81 Red Chipper Posts: 88
    Well interestingly enough I had a spot last weekend at parx 1/2 that is somewhat similar. I'm in SB with AQs. There was 4 limpers before me and I completed SB treating AQs as any suited baby Ace. But then a young TAG to my left in BB raises to $17, all limpers call his raise bloating the pot considerably, so I decided to get silly and squeeze by making it $95 or so... BB thinks for a sec and ships his $400 stack into the middle.

I got slapped by critique for that silly move: "Dumbass, you never have nuts there, your play will never work. Wrong logic, wrong spot, wrong villain type..."

I guess since BB been spewing 2 buyins already, you have to assume he might do the same to a raise/squeeze, not cause he wil recognize you never have nuts there, but cause he spews and is on tilt.

So both options calling/squeezing prolly not as optimal as folding. I'd fold on regardless of limpers getting in or not.
  • SplitSuitSplitSuit RCP Coach Posts: 4,070 -
    I definitely didn't expect as many people to want to fold this, lol.

In both spots I'm playing this really aggressively and jamming. Given how spewy the BB is I expect he'll make a lot of mistakes against my jam. And the other two guys, I don't think they are tricky enough to call the $20 with JJ+/AK, which means I expect them to fold even if I jam and the BB calls.
    Man, we have too many NITS! ;-)

Still love you guys lol.
  • persuadeopersuadeo Red Chipper Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Exactly what kind of mistakes can he make against A7?
    persuadeo wrote:
    Exactly what kind of mistakes can he make against A7?

Mind if I answer that in a long blog post?
    Looking forward to it.
    @Persuadeo

When he folds and we capatalize on the pot preflop- that's perfectly fine with us.
    Granted, but I don't think that's what he meant exactly.
    Yeah I think he shoves strictly expecting enough folds here Preflop and IF we get called, we at least have an Ace and it's suited :-)
  • bocky7bocky7 Red Chipper Posts: 369 ✭✭✭
    i don't know...maybe i am wrong , but A7 is pretty weak(to me)...and suited only adds 4% EV...if the stacks were bigger and more callers, it would sound better...and i don't think BB will give you much fold equity...and with him raising from the BB?...he either has a good hand , or he is so tilted he is going to be ready to shove at any one that messes with him...after all, he only has $80 dollars left.
  • jjakestr8jjakestr8 Red Chipper Posts: 78 ✭✭
    No one is strong behind the BB, with those limp calls. Isolate spewy.

$65 in pot, plus your $15 to call = 80, raise $100-125, BB calls off his last $80 (you hope) and the others fold 9000% of the time.

You run it out, both of you miss, and your A plays.

(if BB was $500 deep then you fold)
  • SullySully Red Chipper Posts: 780 ✭✭✭
    I agree BB is never folding and everyone else is folding almost all the time.

In my mind it then becomes a range question. BB needs something like 27% of hands in his range to make this a coin flip. Will he raise 10x with the lower part of his range that I need to be there?

I probably fold and wait for ATo or better to execute this
  • al.eversonal.everson Red Chipper Posts: 15
    If you only complete, then you backfire, won't your range look very weak?
    Well, I will only think about 22-99, weak suited Aces and weak Broadways as KJ, QJ, KT, ...

Don't you expect to get a lot of calls?
  • bocky7bocky7 Red Chipper Posts: 369 ✭✭✭
    if you really feel like getting action...i agree with jjakestr8...you have to isolate...then hope hope your A holds (since most likely your hand will not catch anything)....i am on the fence with this...(depends on my feel of the game at that time).
    al.everson wrote:
    If you only complete, then you backfire, won't your range look very weak?
    Well, I will only think about 22-99, weak suited Aces and weak Broadways as KJ, QJ, KT, ...

Don't you expect to get a lot of calls?

Great point, but only applicable against hand readers. I wouldn't say that MP in this hand is a good hand reader but UTG may be able to figure out what my range is here. BB has zero chance of reading anything correctly.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file