Hero limps in hand 34 of Poker Plays You Can Use

ArtArtBobartArtArtBobart Red Chipper Posts: 356 ✭✭
edited October 2014 in General Concepts
So I just watched Ed's "How to Beat any 2/5 Game" video. I have been playing poker for a while now (11 years) but his advice to never limp in a pot had the greatest immediate impact of any tweak I have made to my game. Mind you, I almost never OPEN-limped, but never considered raising multiple limpers with all hands in my range.

Concurrently I am reading Poker Plays You Can Use and note that Doug espouses this same philosophy. However, in his book the hero over-limps two limpers with 7h6h in hand #34.

Now I still can see the value in over-limping in the CO or button with something like QJo or JTo, but this does not seem to be a similar situation.

My question is this: what do you consider to be reasonable exceptions to the "never ever ever limp" rule?

Comments

• Doug HullDoug Hull RCP Coach Posts: 1,857 -
    Concurrently I am reading Poker Plays You Can Use and note that Doug espouses this same philosophy. However, in his book the hero over-limps two limpers with 7h6h in hand #34.

My question is this: what do you consider to be reasonable exceptions to the "never ever ever limp" rule?

Art,

Yes, I espouse the same philosophy as Ed, because I took some coaching with him (best poker money ever spent.) I am very much of the Miller School.

If I had to give a simple rule about limping, it would be: "Never limp."

Howeverer, in a weaker $1-$2 or $2-$5 game:

If I had to give a more nuanced rule, it would be: "Only limp when it is an overlimp on the button with a solid speculative hand." More specifically, when you feel you can not profitably semi-bluff raise your speculative hand on the button yet really believe you will see the flop in position and profit.

I am on rare occasion going to complete the small blind in a limped pot.

If I am getting pre-flop folding tells or believe the button and blinds will not punish me, I will consider limping the cut-off with similar rules as the button.

That about covers my limping.

Now, on rare occasion when I am touring to weaker out of the way cardrooms (your 2-5 table little cardrooms in the Midwest for example) I have one more limp move I break out. UTG, I will limp with small suited Aces (A2s-A5s) when it gets raised, I will emulate the "Limp raise big with AA UTG" move. It is such a transparent move that most people will give it up when I limp re-raise big. I do this mostly to amuse my companion on these holiday road-trips. Shhhhh, don't tell anyone.
    Co-founder Red Chip Poker,
    Author Poker Plays You Can Use
    Author Poker Workbook for Math Geeks
  • ArtArtBobartArtArtBobart Red Chipper Posts: 356 ✭✭
    Thanks for the reply, Doug.

So now I just watched SplitSuit's "I love JT" video. In one example he states he does not usually prefer to open limp with JTs in early position. In a subsequent example he states that in later positions he will raise two limpers, but he does not like to raise many more limpers due to the uncomfortable SPRs it would create.

I think my head is going to explode :)

Actually, I think I partially agree with him and partially disagree. Where I disagree is his early position comments. I would never open limp; I just can't see any advantage to this.

But I do see is point about unintentionally committing yourself by raising more than a couple players with suited connectors. Since I started raising limpers with these hands have have encountered a few difficulties. First, when I do get called I have to bluff larger amounts on c-bets due to the increased pot size. Secondly, I have noticed at least one observant player playing a trappy game by limping with strong hands (and pulling "Mad Ivans" as you call them). The point here is that he knows that IF I am going to play, I am predictively making raises for him--as I am now never limping my entire range.

--Mark

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file