edited August 2015 in Live Poker Hands
$75 MTT

early rounds, no info on villains yet, effective stacks - everyone over $10k

blinds 50 - 100

MP1: limp, calls
MP2: min raises to 200, calls
Hijack: calls, calls
Cutoff (me): raises to 850 :Ah:Ks

Preflop thoughts: I wanted to either just take down the pot right there, or at the very least, isolate the min raiser. Thoughts on that line or the bet size?

Pot: 3550
Flop: :8h:3h:Qc

everyone checks

Flop thoughts: with 4 people in the pot, and with me having at best backdoor flush draw, and me thinking there's a good chance someone connected with the Q, I don't fire second barrel. Should I have fired with the back door flush draw? It would definitely have been at the bottom of my C bet range.

Turn: :4h
MP1: bets 400
MP2: folds
Hijack: folds
me: calls

Turn thoughts: I had no idea what a small bet into such a large pot meant. With my check on the flop, I don't think I can really rep anything strong on the turn with a raise: I don't think I can rep a Q, a flush, KK, AA. However, now I am priced in for the flush draw. So I call. Thoughts?

River board: :Qc:3h:4h:Qd

me: ??
I called knowing I was probably beat, but for such a small price I get to see what villain had and how he played it to use in future hands. Thoughts?

Comments

• SplitSuitSplitSuit RCP Coach Posts: 4,069 -
    Preflop size is a bit small, go to like 1250.

As played, your postflop line looks good to me. Call river, expect to win once in a blue moon.
    📑 Grab my custom poker spreadsheet pack right now.
    📘 Start the Preflop & Math Poker Workbook today.
  • FilthyCasualFilthyCasual Red Chipper Posts: 871 ✭✭✭
    SplitSuit wrote:
    As played, your postflop line looks good to me. Call river, expect to win once in a blue moon.

Not worth raising here? Nut flush blocker, MP2 has bet for 1/9 of the pot and 1/11 of the pot on the turn and river. I know we can't rep much, maybe should have started something on the turn if we wanted to contend for this pot, but I think we can represent more than villain can comfortably call if we bump it to 2500. V has to fold 34% of the time to be profitable, if we know we're never good when he calls. Is this optimistic?

I don't think a call is bad, I'm sure our AK is good once in a blue moon, but these chips just look so vulnerable in the middle. The 400 bet just seems so defensive. This player does not want to play a large pot!

I can just hear the V in my head after the raise 'I knew someone was slowplaying the Q/hit the flush" as his cards are deposited into the muck.
  • theClubbertheClubber Red Chipper Posts: 167 ✭✭
    Renato_L wrote:
    $75 MTT

Turn: :4h
    MP2: folds
    Hijack: folds
    me: calls

Turn thoughts: I had no idea what a small bet into such a large pot meant. With my check on the flop, I don't think I can really rep anything strong on the turn with a raise: I don't think I can rep a Q, a flush, KK, AA. However, now I am priced in for the flush draw. So I call. Thoughts?
    I have no idea what the 400 bey means. At the same time villain limped then called a reraise OOP so he's probably not thinking at the most sophisticated level.

I agree you have too much equity to fold. I disagree a raise doesn't rep anything. With four people in the pot you could plausibly have checked back a flush draw on the turn. It's possible he's making a pribe bet with a weak one pair. A raise could push him off a one pair hard or a pure bluff. it could also set him up to call now and fold to a barrel on the river. The major downside is introducing the possibility you will have to fold to a large reraise. I hate folding a nut draw in a big pot

I defiantly would just call if there were still players left to act. Onve they are out of the way I may consider raising.

Calling is definitely fine, you have direct odds to draw to the nuts even against a made flush.

I'm not sure if raising as a semi-bluff is better.
  • theClubbertheClubber Red Chipper Posts: 167 ✭✭
    This seems like a particularly bad river card to bluff. If hero had a queen or a set on the flop would he check? If hero turned a flush why woukd he raise when the board pairs? Villains line looks super weak but he also limped then called a 3bet pre flop. He doesn't seem very good at folding. I think we havev the best opportunity to bluff on the turn.
  • FilthyCasualFilthyCasual Red Chipper Posts: 871 ✭✭✭
    theClubber wrote:
    This seems like a particularly bad river card to bluff. If hero had a queen or a set on the flop would he check?
    4 way pot? Maybe, but I'd lean towards no. Maybe with the weakest of Qx, but with position hero should be firing most times he hits TP+.
    theClubber wrote:
    If hero turned a flush why woukd he raise when the board pairs? Villains line looks super weak but he also limped then called a 3bet pre flop. He doesn't seem very good at folding.
    Everyone is 100 BBs+ deep and it's early in the tourney. This is where most the bad play happens in tournies. I don't weigh the limp/call the same when it's 5% of the stack or whatever. Should MP1 be folding? Sure. But I also think players will justify extremely broad ranges to fit or fold in stage 1 + 2 of tournies
    theClubber wrote:
    I think we havev the best opportunity to bluff on the turn.
    If I could generate folds withe a 1/9 of a pot bet, I'd be limping pretty frequently as well! I agree that representing on the turn would have been better, but knowing that V has defensive bet twice, I can't see V wanting to call an actual bet

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file