Bottom Set Folds River on Scary Board

Morgan_BMorgan_B Red Chipper Posts: 262 ✭✭
edited September 2015 in Online Poker Hands
Decided to change it up and make a video this time. I bet smallish on the flop because I want villain to call. It allowed me to bet the turn smaller but villain may have taken that as a sign of weakness. Let me know what you think...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsChc05 ... e=youtu.be

Hold'em No Limit ($1/$2)
6-max Seat #5 is the button
Seat 1: V1_BB ($221.90 in chips)
Seat 3: Hero ($238.75 in chips)

*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Hero [4h 4c]
P2: folds
Hero: raises to $6
P4: folds
P5: folds
P6: folds
V1_BB: calls $4

*** FLOP *** [8d 6s 4d]
V1_BB: checks
Hero: bets $8
V1_BB: calls $8

*** TURN *** [8d 6s 4d] [9d]
V1_BB: checks
Hero: bets $16
V1_BB: raises to $50
Hero: calls $34

*** RIVER *** [8d 6s 4d 9d] [7s]
V1_BB: bets $100
Hero: folds

Comments

• SplitSuitSplitSuit RCP Coach Posts: 4,057 -
    The issue is that if he's bluffing the turn, he's going to bluff that river like 100% of the time since it benefits him WAY more often than it benefits your range.

As played with your weak turn sizing which could have easily induced this mess...I call the river.

(PS. To embed that video into the forum, click the "video" button when you are posting (it's next to "Font Colour" and put the YouTube URL for the video within those brackets)

Like so:

[video]
    📑 Grab my custom poker spreadsheet pack right now.
    📘 Start the Preflop & Math Poker Workbook today.
  • Morgan_BMorgan_B Red Chipper Posts: 262 ✭✭
    Thanks James. That was my worry (that the small bet sizes induced my opponent to bluff). Betting bigger from now on.
  • Rello242Rello242 Red Chipper Posts: 595 ✭✭
    Me personally my issue is with the sizing. As played i don't think it was played incorrectly except for the point SplitSuit made but on Super wet boards im betting close to pot as possible and you have to think that alot of mediocre hands will call 2 streets and not 3 and monster hand will probably be raising or donk-shoving rivers either way, once that turn hits like that im thinking im good for about one more street so i want a really big bet on that turn.
    -Rello

"Its better to give than to receive, so bet more and call less"
    Check out my HUSNG Graph: Chips-Results
    Follow All the Action On My Blog: www.rello242.blogspot.com
  • Morgan_BMorgan_B Red Chipper Posts: 262 ✭✭
    My thinking at the time was to bet small because I want a call... I want worse hands to call and I want to hit my boat and get paid on the river.

Now my thought process is that I'm still likely to get called by solid draws even when I bet big, a big bet will be much less likely to induce a bluff raise, and if I improve it's just more money to win on the river.
  • Rello242Rello242 Red Chipper Posts: 595 ✭✭
    Morgan_B wrote:
    My thinking at the time was to bet small because I want a call... I want worse hands to call and I want to hit my boat and get paid on the river.

Now my thought process is that I'm still likely to get called by solid draws even when I bet big, a big bet will be much less likely to induce a bluff raise, and if I improve it's just more money to win on the river.

exactly :) +1
    -Rello

"Its better to give than to receive, so bet more and call less"
    Check out my HUSNG Graph: Chips-Results
    Follow All the Action On My Blog: www.rello242.blogspot.com

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file