Is anyone still making good money Online?

ChipTraderChipTrader Red Chipper Posts: 178
edited October 2014 in Online Poker Hands
Hry Guys

My fiancé would like to learn to play poker but she hates the live environment. Its a long drive, guys are always hitting on her, people smell etc etc... are the things she complains about lol. She does like playing online tho and I told her that she has to study and work hard if she wants to make $$ but the fact is I don't even know IF anyone can still make money online and what is a reasonable 100 bb win rate these days and if it is as hard to make it as it was 5 years ago?

btw, we live in Canada not the US.

Cheers and thanks

Comments

• ChipTraderChipTrader Red Chipper Posts: 178
    WOW no one ?

I knew things were bad but I didn't think they were that bad !
  • SplitSuitSplitSuit RCP Coach Posts: 4,034 -
    You can still make money, yes. Get her started playing a tight strategy on zoom imo so she can get a lot of reps quickly, while also working on her default line creation.

As for making "good" money...that's relative, but it takes a ton of time/study before you can make "substitute my job" dollars online.

For winrates, aim for 8bb/100 playing 10NL and lower, 5bb/100 at 25NL, and 3bb/100 at 50NL imo
  • brandlorbrandlor Red Chipper Posts: 19 ✭✭
    My thoughts at learning at the micro's.

I'm starting to consider myself competent at the micros and am currently beating them at 4.5bb/100.

I have found for learning, playing 6-max or full ring to be a better learning tool then zoom. At this level, the zoom games are just super tight players. Although you can exploit this, I have found playing non-zoom to be better for learning.

I play less hands but I have more time to focus on the player tendencies, stealing situations and hand ranges, knowing that the table positions will remain relatively consistent. Also, since the pace is slower, I have more time to think through the hand as it's in progress.

I do think you can make money online, but it's harder then doing it live.

That's my two cents.

Also, sorry but I just got back on the forums. I left my laptop at home during Thanksgiving.
  • ChipTraderChipTrader Red Chipper Posts: 178
    Thanks Guys -

James thats what I was interested in hearing about bb win rates. It sounds like things aren't that bad :)

She wont be doing it for a living but just as a side income as she works from home and has lots of free time.

Cheers
  • SplitSuitSplitSuit RCP Coach Posts: 4,034 -
    ChipTrader wrote:
    Thanks Guys -

James thats what I was interested in hearing about bb win rates. It sounds like things aren't that bad :)

They aren't what they were 5yrs ago...but the game is still very beatable in the micros =)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file