interesting hand...what would you do?

bocky7bocky7 Red Chipper Posts: 369 ✭✭✭
edited October 2014 in Online Poker Hands
online play...(BOVADA) .10.25nl 4:41 am
UTG+2 was 3 betting me for over an hour now and taking small pots from most everyone...he is an administrator at a school in Fl. and is a reg at the hard rock, down there.i wasn't using a hud on him but estimated his VIP was in the 25 to 30 range. (Lag)
my image , so far has been tight , and i really didn't have much of a hand to play anything agg...so i looked passive.
hero had :Ac:Ad on the butt (25.89)
everyone folds to UTG+2 (62.53)
UTG+2 bets .75
play folds to hero...because of villains agg play (so far)(and my image) ...i decided not to 3 bet him and see how he will try to outplay me....i expect him to attack me, with most any hand....i just call. .75
sb calls .65 (22.11) (pot is now 2.50)
flop is :9s:8c:9h
sb checks
UTG+2 bets 2.00
now...does he have a 9?..89 suited?...from seeing his play so far...he could have anything.i could have 3 bet for around 6.50 and, almost sure, he would have shut it down...and if he would have called...i would (at least) have gained some good info...but i wanted to have some fun...so i just called...2.00..(pot is now 6.50)
sb folds
turn card is: :4c
UTG+2 bets 4.75
hero...could be pretty stupid..but i call...4.75 (pot is now 16.00)
river is a :8h
UTG+2 bets 10.00 (pot is now 36.00)
that is not a good card for me...and a great one for him...what would you do?
(i will tell you what he had, at a later time.) :)

Comments

• SullySully Red Chipper Posts: 777 ✭✭✭
    In my opinion, call.

It seems you took this line to get this exact type of action. And really this board is not any scarier than a slew of boards you can see by the time you get here. Villain can have anything, including an 8 or 9. Be careful what you wish for...you might get it :) :) :) :)
  • bocky7bocky7 Red Chipper Posts: 369 ✭✭✭
    lol...you are right!...i did take this line on purpose....i knew he was going to do this..(since there is not a whole lot of money at stake),i wanted to see if i could find my way out of the hole i just dug!...lol ;)
  • SplitSuitSplitSuit RCP Coach Posts: 4,034 -
    When you take an "odd" line, just follow the plan and keep calling down.

What about raising the flop? If he has an overpair is he going to put you on 9x or 88 when you raise? Or is he going to think you're bluffing often?
  • ChicoBuarqueChicoBuarque Red Chipper Posts: 18
    Follow your plan and keep calling.

You have already set up your plan before the flop. You are hiding information against this LAG by not raising in previous streets.

Sometimes, he will show you an 9 or an 8, but most of the time he'll be bluffing with an weak range and doesn't know where he is at because you're denying information about your hand.
    "What about raising the flop? If he has an overpair is he going to put you on 9x or 88 when you raise? Or is he going to think you're bluffing often?"
    yes...if i wasn't just fooling around with him,i would have raised the flop(and most likely, he would surely put me on 9x or 88)...i don't think he would have thought i was bluffing (because of my very tight image, up to this point)...i am sure he was thinking i was so weak that he could easily bluff me off this hand(and he was playing around with me also)...as it turned out i did call and he showed :Ah:2s .hero wins $36.(34.20 after rake)..in the chat box he posted "good call"....another player posted "i was waiting all night to get a hand like that!"
    thanks for your replies, they all were right on! ;)
    take care, have fun !
    bocky7 wrote:
    "What about raising the flop? If he has an overpair is he going to put you on 9x or 88 when you raise? Or is he going to think you're bluffing often?"
    yes...if i wasn't just fooling around with him,i would have raised the flop(and most likely, he would surely put me on 9x or 88)...i don't think he would have thought i was bluffing (because of my very tight image, up to this point)...i am sure he was thinking i was so weak that he could easily bluff me off this hand(and he was playing around with me also)...as it turned out i did call and he showed :Ah:2s .hero wins $36.(34.20 after rake)..in the chat box he posted "good call"....another player posted "i was waiting all night to get a hand like that!"
    thanks for your replies, they all were right on! ;)
    take care, have fun !

If he's folding overpairs on 998 flops against you, you aren't bluffing anywhere-near enough =)
    If he's folding overpairs on 998 flops against you, you aren't bluffing anywhere-near enough =)[/quote]
    yes,James,
    i agree...to tell you the truth...it was really late and i was falling asleep (between hands)... (i know ...terrible thing to do)(did you ever have the "BEEP" wake you up to play the next hand?)(i can see you rolling your eyes ,now)...but the AA woke me up... then i started playing like i should have been.
    i hope this isn't a place where everyone has to be perfect ...because i am farrrrrr frommmmmmm it ;)....anyway.....thanks for the help...i really do appreciate it.
    bocky7 wrote:
    If he's folding overpairs on 998 flops against you, you aren't bluffing anywhere-near enough =)
    yes,James,
    i agree...to tell you the truth...it was really late and i was falling asleep (between hands)... (i know ...terrible thing to do)(did you ever have the "BEEP" wake you up to play the next hand?)(i can see you rolling your eyes ,now)...but the AA woke me up... then i started playing like i should have been.
    i hope this isn't a place where everyone has to be perfect ...because i am farrrrrr frommmmmmm it ;)....anyway.....thanks for the help...i really do appreciate it.[/quote]

This is a place of learning, nobody is perfect (us included!) =)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file