Elastic vs. Inelastic ranges

dutch81dutch81 Red Chipper Posts: 212
edited October 2015 in General Concepts
Great video, once again. Are there any other videos on this topic? This is something I need to improve on. It got me thinking...

I try to size my bets based on what I think he's most likely holding. Should the V being elastic/inelastic be my first consideration, and then probable hands?

When against an inelastic opponent on a draw heavy board like the last example in the video (Qh9c3c w/ KhTh), doesn't that bet seem a bit weak? I don't think many players would use that sizing trying to protect their hand. Usually when a player make this kind of sizing on this type of board, it's usually a draw of some sort or a hand like TT/JJ. Would he really bet that small w/ a nut hand like AA/set on such a draw heavy board, esp. in a multi-way pot?

This is what has kept me from making these types of bets w/ air unless the board is dry like AK8 where you could reasonably expect players to make a less than standard 1/2 pot sized bet to reel in value on multiple streets w/o fear of a probable suckout. I play small stakes cash games so I can't speak for mid/high stakes.

Comments

• SplitSuitSplitSuit RCP Coach Posts: 4,082 -
    Are you referring to this video?

[video]

Either way, I usually ask "what's my opponent's range?" and then follow it up with "would villain be elastic or inelastic with any parts of that range?"
    📑 Grab my custom poker spreadsheet pack right now.
    📘 Start the Preflop & Math Poker Workbook today.
  • dutch81dutch81 Red Chipper Posts: 212
    Yes, that's the one.

Will have to rewatch this video a few times to fully soak it in.

I've watched the 3betting w/ AJ Flopzilla video at least 5 times as I was getting my feet wet with the software. There's no doubt that your challenge and video made me realize it's not as intimidating as I thought it was (for years). Loving the quality material and the results, thank you Split.
    Would it be safe to say that vs. in inelastic range we want to try to make bigger bets than we would an inelastic range including over-bets, even on dry boards? Are there exceptions other than betting small to induce?

This is something I've always struggled with, optimum bet sizing vs. different types of players. I've just recently started over-betting and over-shoving and have had some good results but would like to have a better understanding of this concept. Is it possible to make another video w/ more examples on this topic?
    dutch81 wrote:
    Loving the quality material and the results, thank you Split.

Thanks Dutch =)
    dutch81 wrote:
    Would it be safe to say that vs. in inelastic range we want to try to make bigger bets than we would an inelastic range including over-bets, even on dry boards? Are there exceptions other than betting small to induce?

This is something I've always struggled with, optimum bet sizing vs. different types of players. I've just recently started over-betting and over-shoving and have had some good results but would like to have a better understanding of this concept. Is it possible to make another video w/ more examples on this topic?

vs inelastic ranges you bet larger with value hands, yes. That was a big focus point of the 3rd episode of the podcast.

There are a lot of overbetting concept videos coming BTW (including one on Nov 1st by Gano =) )
    Can't wait, thanks for your input. That podcast will be played tomorrow.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file