Pot $200
Turn :8c
I lead 120. Call
Pot$440
River : :Jc
I check. Villain bet $200...

Comments

• fightingillinifightingillini Red Chipper Posts: 3
    Not sure why you checked the river. Was the V a LAG who's capable of bluffing the river for you? Were you afraid that you didn't have the best hand after V called the flop and turn? I would have led for $250. If V had a made flush with middling cards, then he's raising on the flop or the turn to protect his hand, and bet for value. With $800 effective stacks, a made flush needs to get the ball rolling to try and win a big pot, with the possibility of stacking you. Espeically since that flop likely hit someone who is playing in early position. You're fortunate that V only bet $200, giving you over 3-1 to call with a set. Easy call. Raising is spew here, it only gets called if you're beat.

Otherwise you played the hand fine....I would have bet the pot on the flop w 3 opponents, but 75% of it is OK.
  • Jimmy3150Jimmy3150 Red Chipper Posts: 362 ✭✭
    Very easy call, doesn't look like he has the flush unless he's super passive. I'd have also led out on the river here.
  • Doug HullDoug Hull RCP Coach Posts: 1,876 -
    To me, this is not really a question of "Is he bluffing?" It is more of a question of "Is he value-owning himself?"

What inferior hand might he be betting here?

:7? :7?
    :Kc :A?

The :As and :Ks being accounted for severely diminishes the number of flushes.

Would he ever turn :Qs :Q? into a bluff? At this bet size?

It is a nasty little spot to be sure.
    Co-founder Red Chip Poker,
    Author Poker Plays You Can Use
    Author Poker Workbook for Math Geeks
  • nutloughnutlough Red Chipper Posts: 51
    V is a "recreational reg". Plays weekends and such. Played with him before. Has a clue but I would call him "random" for lack of a better term. ... I think this is typical in a lot of the 2-5 games I play in.
    Anyway... I called and he showed :Qs:Ts
    Was thinking that maybe it's a bad river call... Is he ever bluffing there or betting worse ...I sort of expected to be beat there but I'm just never folding. I thought that maybe I was just being stubborn to not consider a fold.
  • Jimmy3150Jimmy3150 Red Chipper Posts: 362 ✭✭
    I think he played the hand really bad and should have been taking your whole stack since you had a set of kings ... Maybe he just wanted to slow play to see if he'd make a Royal.

Looks like you played it perfect then!
  • ivandurstivandurst Red Chipper Posts: 124 ✭✭
    Getting flatted twice on this board makes me a little wary; I don't think we can really bet this river, as we're not getting 3 streets called by much that we beat - A7, A8, AJ, AK if villain doesn't 3b that pre, 77. Some of those hands would raise at some point as well.

I think it's important to note that most villains are at least vaguely aware that betting this river would be suicide after their opponent takes the line you did multi way - it just looks so strong. His bet sizing does not look bluffy either. However, I think Doug nailed a key point in asking what villain would bet for value on this river. Smaller flushes often raise on flop or turn here, whereas everybody loves to slowplay the nut flush (especially in position with someone betting into them), so we can discount somewhat small flushes in his range. If he could ever bet 2 pair here, this is a call.

As played, I pay him off.
  • nutloughnutlough Red Chipper Posts: 51
    Should I ever consider a fold here then?
    In the moment I just snapped called. In my mind I just said I'm check calling the river no matter what. I was stuck 200 and had been card dead for hours so I was semi tilted that I finally picked up kings. Flopped on set. Only to find out that my opponent may have flopped a flush. So here is the part where I refuse to fold. Snap call. And when shown the flush pick up my two kings so that the people around can see my hand and feel sorry for me. Mutter something about it being sick. And muck my hand. That"ll show em!!! lol!...

It seems that the consensus is that it is a call.
    One thing though is that it is true that people like to slow play a lot when they flop the nuts. Esp when being bet into. I think they don't want to "scare me off". And I think that most average players are checking back anything but a flush on the river. Even AQ... Maybe betting 77.
  • jeffncjeffnc Red Chipper Posts: 5,007 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As the hand played out, I'm never folding this. Unless villain was a known super slowplaying nitmeister that always checks the river unless he has the nuts.
  • ivandurstivandurst Red Chipper Posts: 124 ✭✭
    nutlough wrote:
    ... And when shown the flush pick up my two kings so that the people around can see my hand and feel sorry for me. Mutter something about it being sick. And muck my hand. That"ll show em!!! lol!...

Hahah, oh man I think we've all been there.
  • JulesJules Red Chipper Posts: 441 ✭✭✭
    nutlough wrote:
    One thing though is that it is true that people like to slow play a lot when they flop the nuts. Esp when being bet into. I think they don't want to "scare me off". And I think that most average players are checking back anything but a flush on the river. Even AQ... Maybe betting 77.

This happens a lot in the games I play in. It's like navigating a mind field. When you are the aggressor they will just call with the nuts.... I think you played it fine.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file