Big O = my Biggest Beat ever

jeffncjeffnc Red Chipper Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 2015 in Omaha Variants
This is a true story. The game is my local $5/5 Big O game, with straddle allowed, which is typically $10-25 on the button.

I'm having my best night probably ever so far, and have built my starting $500 to $6,000.

Villain is in the big blind with about $5,000. The small blind calls, and villain raises to $55 total. There is 1 caller to me. I have :Ad:Ah:2s:3d:Jh. I reraise to $140. There are 5 callers including villain and 6 to the flop, with $840 in the pot.

The flop is :As:9d:7d. (Imagine 6 to the flop with me 3-betting, and there's still an ace left in the deck!)

It's checked to me and I bet $840. There are 4 callers including villain and $4,200 in the pot.

The turn is :Kh.

Villain checks, I bet the pot, and only villain calls, all-in. There is $12,000+ in the pot.

I expose my hand, and villain tables :Ac:2c:3s:Tc:8s.

Since the pot is so large, we decide to run the river twice.

Villain scoops the entire pot. (I'll let you figure out what hit). Anyone want to guess the odds of that?

Comments

• KemahPhilKemahPhil Red Chipper Posts: 108 ✭✭
    The next two cards have to be :J? :Js . I calculate the odds of that at 0.13 %. That's about as bad as bad beats get.

I play in a 5-5 weekly game where it is dealer's choice and we play Omaha hi-lo about 25% of the time. That get's wild enough that I have trouble imaging what a Big O game must be like. Do all someone's chips go in on every pot?
  • aaarrgghaaarrggh Red Chipper Posts: 85
    Doesn't villain also have 3 sixes that give him a straight?
  • jeffncjeffnc Red Chipper Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2015
    Yes but they don't scoop. (Big O is Hi/Lo in case you weren't familiar...)
    KemahPhil wrote:
    The next two cards have to be :J? :Js . I calculate the odds of that at 0.13 %. That's about as bad as bad beats get.

Yeah, the :Jc specifically, because I have the :Jh and :Jd scoops for me.
    KemahPhil wrote:
    I play in a 5-5 weekly game where it is dealer's choice and we play Omaha hi-lo about 25% of the time. That get's wild enough that I have trouble imaging what a Big O game must be like. Do all someone's chips go in on every pot?

I don't find that Big O really plays much differently than PLO/8, just slightly stronger hands on average. So really, it just depends on how many gambley players are there any particular night :) There are some players who keep buying in for $300, and get to play one hand with it, buy in again, etc.
  • aaarrgghaaarrggh Red Chipper Posts: 85
    jeffnc wrote:
    Yes but they don't scoop. (Big O is Hi/Lo in case you weren't familiar...)

Suspected that :) you are right i am not familiar with the game at all, still enough to feel your pain now that i understand better...
  • The MuleThe Mule Red Chipper Posts: 790 ✭✭✭
    Should have run it 3 times - guarantee yourself at least 1/12 of the pot.
  • JoeOffsuitJoeOffsuit Red Chipper Posts: 512 ✭✭✭
    Getting a little caught up on the forum tonight Dave? : - )
    "Working from home" today ; - ) Just taking a quick break...
  • JoeOffsuitJoeOffsuit Red Chipper Posts: 512 ✭✭✭
    When I go to page 100 on "recent discussions" (the furthest it lets me go back) I can only get to December 2015.
    Enjoy your break :-)
    Ah sorry I see what you're saying. Jeff referenced this one in another thread.

I'd love to be able to go back to the start. When I first joined I remember reading a hilarious thread from some old guy with a bag of chips on his shoulder, wanted to take offence (offense ?) at everything anyone said. Thought that all the forum regs were internet kids that didn't understand.

It's not a break, I'm actually working very hard (in between breaks).
  • persuadeopersuadeo Red Chipper Posts: 4,308 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are some fun threads from back in the day, but they are a little hard to get to. What ever happened to some of those guys, I wonder, like Chiptrader and his Camaro he was so proud to buy with 60 hr poker work week? Or Dutch81 who went crazy with poker study and physical fitness goals? Or Rello who actually made literal and full use of Poker's 1% grinding out heads up from his native Bahamas?
    There have been some very good contributors who faded away quietly. There have also been some "cautionary tales", who came on very strong and I suspect burnt themselves out fairly rapidly.

It might be interesting to have a category linking to the threads that were most read / most posts, going back to the start. I looked at the "Best of" category but it only showed recent posts, and was specific to posts rather than threads.

@SplitSuit , is that a possibility ?

colldav wrote: »
    Should have run it 3 times - guarantee yourself at least 1/12 of the pot.

I just forgot in the heat of battle. I should have remembered these quotes from Jeff Hwang in "Pot Limit Omaha Poker"

"The primary goal of Pot Limit Omaha hi/lo is to scoop - 1/12 of our opponents' stacks, that is. As in PLO hi, our primary objective is to win 1/12 of the pots... as opposed to smaller pots"

"We don't play for half the pot. We don't play for one side of the pot or the other - we are going for 1/12 of the pot every time we play. We don't play for the high when the low is out, and we don't play for the low when we can't win 1/12 the pot."

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file