Fold Equity Calculator

PerivaleTonyPerivaleTony Red Chipper Posts: 13
edited November 2015 in Coaching & Commercial
Hi Guys,

I was reviewing a few hands that I played at 1c/2c to see if they could have been played better and I came across the FEQ on the main RCP site. So I started to use it to see if I could have escaped my bad situation.

However, the FEQ calculator said that my opponent needed to fold 129% for my play to be profitable. That sounded a bit harsh, so I was wondering if you guys could take a look at the hand and see what you think. Also, is the FEQ correct or did I make a mistake when punching in the numbers?

This isn't really a HH question, it is really a question about the FEQ calculator and whether I am using it properly.

You can find the video here...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AL4kx8L ... e=youtu.be (and yes, my PT4 replayer really does look like that :)). I am a great fan of James :)

Please be gentle but honest.

Thank you

Comments

• SplitSuitSplitSuit RCP Coach Posts: 4,082 -
    Welcome to the forum Tony!

1. Awesome replayer skin =)
    2. There was 1 small typo in the output...and that is if the BE% is over 100%, it is ALWAYS profitable to shove (not necessarily optimal...but profitable).
    3. If you have more than 50% equity, you don't need FE. You only need FE when you anticipate being behind villain's continuance range (shy of some special MW/sidepot situations). And on this note, if you input your equity in this FEQ with 51%+ equity, the answers will be quite wonky.
    📑 Grab my custom poker spreadsheet pack right now.
    📘 Start the Preflop & Math Poker Workbook today.
  • PerivaleTonyPerivaleTony Red Chipper Posts: 13
    Thank you James
    You're very welcome =)
  • SuNNuVaSuNNuVa Red Chipper Posts: 5
    Hi James
    I recently joined RCP, and i love it, great videos:)

I have a quistion about the FEC, how to use it proberly

when you calculate FE and get a number, how do you use that number ? obv, its good that he only need to fold 5 % of the time for us to breakeven, but what if the number was 50 % ? How do you evaluate whether or not that number is good ?

SuNNuVa wrote: »
    Hi James
    I recently joined RCP, and i love it, great videos:)

when you calculate FE and get a number, how do you use that number ? obv, its good that he only need to fold 5 % of the time for us to breakeven, but what if the number was 50 % ? How do you evaluate whether or not that number is good ?

Welcome to the forum Sunnuva!

The way I use the number is to estimate how many combos I need my opponent to fold, and then compare that to their whole range to see if it's reasonable to assume villain will actually fold.

For instance, if the FE% is small, say 5%, you only need villain to fold a couple of combos for your shove to be profitable.

If the FE% is larger, say 50%, you need villain to fold more than half of his range for your shove to be +EV. So if you think villain's range is 40 combos and he only stacks off 15 of them if you shove, then he's folding 25/40 and your shove is +EV. However, if you thought villain's range was 90 combos and he'd only fold 20 combos if you jammed...your shove is -EV.

Does that make sense?
  • SuNNuVaSuNNuVa Red Chipper Posts: 5
    Yes Thank you James:)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file