Blind defense vs. fellow low stakes pro

persuadeopersuadeo Red Chipper, Table Captain Posts: 4,200 ✭✭✭✭✭
2/5 game recently started in early afternoon, effective stack is $600 Folds to only strong player at table, who opens to 3x on the button. Standard sizing for him in this spot, looking to cheaply steal the blinds, and here he will be at his absolute widest, which is not crazy, about 25% of hands.

SB folds. I make the call with :Tc:9c, 10 to win 20 after rake, and full stacks to play for.

Flop is :Jh:Th:4s. I check he bets twenty.

His weaknesses are not using SPR correctly and cbetting too much.

What action makes sense? Or should I screw the price, rewind, and mash the 3bet button with all my range anyway?

Comments

• mdw72mdw72 Red Chipper Posts: 135 ✭✭
    I don't mind the call. T9 suited really isn't the best 3 bet option. I would call with the plan to check raise a flop just like this one. Then I would barrel most cards on the turn. Almost every card is a good card for you. You can barrel any heart, every card every from the 7-K give you more equity, plus your ten might be best right now.

Three betting pre-flop could get a fold or a telling 4 bet and you would either win a small pot or lose a small pot. Stacks would never come into play. I think calling pre and then applying pressure on the correct boards won't get stacks into play but you will win bigger pots when he c-bets in the wrong situations.
  • FilthyCasualFilthyCasual Red Chipper Posts: 871 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2015
    What kind of continuance does he have versus 3 bets? I'm venturing to guess they are going to continue often enough were we won't be generating enough folds (lolz, position), but maybe he's a caliber of player that I don't typically come across. If we aren't getting enough folds, 3b would have to be wrong. Of course, if he has a wide range here, it can't be that bad because I would think they would be dropping a large portion, especially if you haven't been exploiting it significantly up to this point.

As played:
    Can't fold I don't think. We don't call to hit MP and bail.
    Donk bet, I'd pass on.
    So check call or check raise. As described, if he cbets too often, this would be the best IMO. You hit a piece, as @mdw72 mentioned, you can represent a lot of run outs that are more your range than villains

I'm guessing he's pretty consistent with 2/3rds pot cbet?
  • persuadeopersuadeo Red Chipper, Table Captain Posts: 4,200 ✭✭✭✭✭
    -He has a history of folding to my three bets, but this hand is not a hand I generally three bet. Now I am revisiting this for button/blind situations.

-His sizings are always consistent on the flop and pre.

-As played I x/r to 70. My main reasoning is that he cbets far too much but I think that may not be enough of a reason.
  • Riverboat BillRiverboat Bill Red Chipper Posts: 454 ✭✭
    persuadeo wrote: »
    -He has a history of folding to my three bets, but this hand is not a hand I generally three bet. Now I am revisiting this for button/blind situations.

-His sizings are always consistent on the flop and pre.

-As played I x/r to 70. My main reasoning is that he cbets far too much but I think that may not be enough of a reason.
    I think C/R/F at this point unless your hand improved a lot. When you check the river, I only see him betting if he has a hand. OOP is tough.

• jeffncjeffnc Red Chipper Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2015
    I don't really consider this to be a WAWB situation (it might be if you knew his cards obviously). There's just too much for him to hit. So I think check/raise is fine, combing the facts that he c-bets too much, you're probably ahead, and your hand is potentially very vulnerable.

Of course this flop is so wet that he could easily think his A high is good here and c/raising is practically a cliche in this situation.
    edited December 2015
    Okay, so normally I don't like raising when my hand looks like a draw unless I am balancing it with value. Is this holding too light for this action; or, because he is at his lightest, is my hand now strong enough to balance draws?

That is what this hand boils down to for me.
  • Christian SotoChristian Soto RCP Coach Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2015
    I disagree with much that has been written in this thread thus far.

OP says that Villain opens BU with 25% of range. It's not like he is opening 60% and we can 3B recklessly. Furthermore, you are getting a decent price with a good hand to see a Flop. Hand is slightly too good to 3B from the BB in my opinion.

IMO I 3bet a poled range here. I would include 87s/98s in a 3Bet range but I think JTs/T9s have a little too much high card value + playability that we should omit these hands from the 3Bet range. Reason you want to 3B poled here is because it's a steal v resteal spot from the BB but given the price we are laid, we should be calling from the BB more than anything else.

Also, CR'ing here with this hand on this board is a disaster. Assuming he barrels all draws (89, Q9, KQ, AK, AQ + all heart combos), and now he barrels all good Tx plus for value, that of which isn't folding to a CR because we can be drawing... Ask yourself, how do we win this hand when he continues versus our CR? What cards are good for us besides a Ten? The cards that improve our equity like a Queen, make some of his hands. Just fire off on a Heart? We have no blocker and his range contains hearts as well, and hands that have Pair + Heart will not fold either.

The CR reps a poled range of draws/air or big hands. And if you want to depolarize that range, we need to CR hands that beat Villains bluffs catchers. NOT hands that do not beat his bluff catchers. Let's try to avoid entering the cage!

Sometimes we just have a bluff catcher.
  • WhichWhich Red Chipper Posts: 114 ✭✭
    persuadeo wrote: »
    only strong player at table, who opens to 3x on the button. ... looking to cheaply steal the blinds, and here he will be at his absolute widest, which is not crazy, about 25% of hands.

Actually, if his 'absolute wildest' IS only 25% of hands, we might want to revisit the "strong player" label...

Wouldn't a strong player steal a lot more from the Button?

• bonezybonezy Red Chipper Posts: 82 ✭✭
    I like calling better than 3betting. I feel like 3betting only gets his best to continue and then we are playing in a bloated pot oop. I like calling and keeping the pot small. against a fellow reg I am willing to float alot of flops if I feel the guy will cbet alot. On this flop I am check calling and reevaluating on the turn. I am prepared to call another bet if an over card falls. I an Ace is the absolute worst card imo because it doesnt give u any additional equity. If a safe card comes I like check and letting him bet again. If he checks back and another safe card comes then I am most likely value betting in hopes of getting called by a smaller pair or ace high.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file