Genius move or am I an idiot?

OddAndyOddAndy Red Chipper Posts: 39 ✭✭
edited December 2015 in Online Poker Hands
Winning Poker Network (Yatahay) - $0.25 NL - Holdem - 9 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

BB: 100 BB (VPIP: 57.14, PFR: 42.86, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 7)
UTG: 59.76 BB (VPIP: 65.00, PFR: 27.50, 3Bet Preflop: 14.29, Hands: 121)
UTG+1: 88.12 BB (VPIP: 55.56, PFR: 33.33, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 9)
MP: 133.4 BB (VPIP: 32.03, PFR: 7.06, 3Bet Preflop: 4.08, Hands: 261)
MP+1: 100 BB (VPIP: 17.52, PFR: 15.08, 3Bet Preflop: 6.55, Hands: 462)
MP+2: 83.2 BB (VPIP: 16.98, PFR: 4.75, 3Bet Preflop: 8.94, Hands: 320)
CO: 62.44 BB (VPIP: 18.18, PFR: 12.12, 3Bet Preflop: 3.85, Hands: 67)
BTN: 154.08 BB (VPIP: 24.19, PFR: 11.29, 3Bet Preflop: 3.75, Hands: 188)
Hero (SB): 99.88 BB

Hero posts SB 0.4 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.4 BB) Hero has A:spade: K:club:

fold, UTG+1 raises to 3.4 BB, fold, fold, fold, CO calls 3.4 BB, fold, Hero calls 3 BB, BB calls 2.4 BB

Flop: (13.6 BB, 4 players) 3:heart: 9:diamond: 7:heart:
Hero checks, BB checks, UTG+1 checks, CO bets 7.04 BB, Hero raises to 19 BB, BB calls 19 BB, fold, fold

Turn: (58.64 BB, 2 players) 4:club:
Hero checks, BB checks

River: (58.64 BB, 2 players) 9:spade:
Hero bets 18.56 BB, BB calls 18.56 BB

Hero shows A:spade: K:club: (One Pair, Nines)

Hero wins 91 BB

0.96 BB was deducted from the pot for the jackpot.

Comments

• OddAndyOddAndy Red Chipper Posts: 39 ✭✭
    I feel like an idiot who was tilted and got lucky.
  • OddAndyOddAndy Red Chipper Posts: 39 ✭✭
    Bet 1/3 pot on river. My idea was it's a combo bet to get him to fold better, or possibly call with a busted Ax flush draw. kind of optimistic but it worked somehow.
  • JfdiwinsJfdiwins Red Chipper Posts: 52
    I much prefer to 3 bet squeeze pre-flop with AK. By flatting in the small blind the big blind is getting an excellent price to call with speculative holdings. This then leaves us 4 way to a flop that we will miss a lot. We can potentially pick up an 8 blind pot pre-flop with a 3 bet for less risk than the post flop play.

I think you took a risky line by check raising the flop multiway with ace high and without any hearts to block the flush draws. If you are going to commit to the hand post flop then it makes more sense to 3 bet pre flop when we can remove some of the callers and get heads up rather than raise post-flop after missing and vs 3 players.

When you flat call pre-flop from the small blind and check raise the flop on this board you are representing a set or a flush draw I think as you would be expected to 3 bet most big pairs pre-flop. (Would you check raise the flop with tens/Jacks here or pot control? would you call pre-flop in the small blind and check raise A9/A9s?)
    When you get to the turn would you bet over pairs or A9/A9s to protect your hand, get value or charge draws bearing in mind the pot is already 58 big blinds.

If the big blind has a set or 97 I would expect them to 4 bet or move all in on the flop or at least bet to protect their hand or charge draws on the turn . So the big blind looks like they are drawing when they don't bet the turn.

When you raise the flop what is your plan if called? If you are representing a made hand (set) then you would bet or shove the turn at which point the big blind would raise or call with a made hand and you potentially lose a big pot.
    Had you been the button post flop then you could bet the turn knowing that the BB had checked and was likely to be drawing so it would be a safer line.

When you get to the river the lines you have both taken look like draws and they all missed. I think the BB was probably confused as to what you can have, with the line taken and puts you on a stone cold bluff and called light? I would suggest the post flop line doesn't represent much and you leave yourself open to losing a big pot with ace high. If you are telling a consistent story in the above hand then you would bet the turn rather than the river?

I would ask what better hands would they fold that have called the flop raise with, when you bet a 1/3 pot on the river? If the big blind calls down with busted ace high flush draw then they are likely calling with all better hands?

I think you are right about being optimistic for folding out a better hand but you are also right about getting value from busted ace high flush draws and it looks like they have a busted draw with their line so I like the river bet for value vs busted draws.

As played I would suggest check call flop - fold turn to a bet if you don't improve as you may still have the best hand on the flop or the hand may get checked down rather than playing a big pot with ace high.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file