I should have played this draw defensively

ChipDouglas1ChipDouglas1 Red Chipper Posts: 95 ✭✭
Final Table of a 1.5k guaranteed on Full Tilt. I should have played this hand much more defensively based on his range here. I could have saved chips when I missed and won it all when I hit.

http://mysmp.me/h_ew6

Comments

• SplitSuitSplitSuit RCP Coach Posts: 3,936 -
    edited January 2016
    There is zero FE when he check/min-raises the flop imo.

Just call the 40k and play the turn straight forward.
    My new book lays out the playbook for AK. Grab your copy and start Optimizing Ace King!
  • FilthyCasualFilthyCasual Red Chipper Posts: 871 ✭✭✭
    Pre I think is fine, although I generally go something slightly more than 2x like 2.2-2.5 because it seems to generates enough more folds that I find it worthwhile.

Think the flop hits the SB/BB more than it hits you, and we have a pretty small value range we can rep here.
    Can't rep an overpair after flatting the 3b pre. Sure we can have some jacks in here, but mostly middle pairs and FD I think make up a large portion of hands we will continue with, and I don't think checking those back for pot control is the worst idea. Slightly over 3 spr, so we aren't quite autostack. To me, it's either bluff or strict value if we put any more chips into the pot. Polarize it up

I do like how we are at a final table with Fish, Loose Passive, and donkey. Not sure why it made me chuckle, but it did. They had to do something right to get here, right?
  • JfdiwinsJfdiwins Red Chipper Posts: 52
    Hi,
    Firstly unlucky with this hand but well played on getting to the final table!

Without other information I would lean towards folding k4s pre-flop in the co here. I appreciate that it is 4 handed but the 3 other players are labelled as donkey, fish and loose passive.

These labels point towards the hand going post flop as you are likely to be called pre flop at least and also indicate that a c-bet vs these players may not have the greatest of success rates as these kind of players tend to be sticky.

The loose passive in the big blind has a big stack and can afford to make speculative calls pre-flop, as well as seeing further streets and will be getting a good price to defend particularly when the fish calls in the small blind. With that in mind I would fold pre and wait for a better hand/spot vs these 3 particular players.

One small point to consider is that a player labelled loose passive has shown aggression twice with a min raise pre-flop and click back raise on the flop which is effectively inducing you to committing your whole stack. If they really are loose passive then these actions combined should ring alarm bells.
  • persuadeopersuadeo Red Chipper, Table Captain Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's nothing here that you did to protect your tournament life. If someone is loose passive, that means they raise big hands, but you still got tangled up in the three bet pot with a dominated holding. Then when it was checked to you, you bet into two people, which was not good in a three bet pot where you should be inclined to see showdown and take cards if offered. But then if you are going to bet, you also don't need to bet 2/3 pot, that just uses up your tournament equity while also blowing up the pot and getting you committed. If for some reason you think you need to bet, bet smaller: now you can call down, especially when someone is min raising you. Don't mix up your cash game sizings with your tournament sizings.
  • ChipDouglas1ChipDouglas1 Red Chipper Posts: 95 ✭✭
    -ev wrote: »
    I do like how we are at a final table with Fish, Loose Passive, and donkey. Not sure why it made me chuckle, but it did. They had to do something right to get here, right?

LOL that's what happens when you post a hand immediately after busting :) My classification was a bit harsh but I felt I had a good read on each of them and had a big edge...that's why I was so frustrated with myself with this hand postflop. I put it down to rustiness and fatigue as I have been playing cash for 6 months and this was my first return to MTT's
  • ChipDouglas1ChipDouglas1 Red Chipper Posts: 95 ✭✭
    persuadeo wrote: »
    Don't mix up your cash game sizings with your tournament sizings.

Another good observation persuadeo....I had done a great job of this throughout this tournament but just lost my head in this hand.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file