014 - Showdown Mechanics

aaronauh2oaaronauh2o Red Chipper Posts: 28
edited January 2016 in Podcast, Articles, Freebies
This was a great episode. It's a topic that's rarely discussed and yet incredibly important.

> Link to episode: http://redchippoker.com/showdown-mechanics-live-poker-podcast/

I lost a $600 pot a month ago due to this very subject. I mis-read the board, thinking my opponent had a full house vs. my pocket Kings. I turned my cards face up just long enough for the whole table to see, then turned them face-down again and mucked. My opponent did not in fact have a boat, but just a two-pair which I had counterfeited! Sick to my stomach, I called the floor over in desperation, but I knew what the ruling would be: I mucked the winner. Simply not tabling my hand cost me two buy-ins. (My opponent gave me a $100 bill out of his pocket and told me that it's happened to him before! This incredible act of generosity took some of the sting out of my tilt, and furthered my faith in the poker community).

This is just an example of how important this simple concept is. I especially like Doug's comment on being proud and unashamed of your bluffs, and how you might as well get some advertising value out of them!

Comments

• Doug HullDoug Hull RCP Coach Posts: 1,876 -
    I mentioned the theme of podcast when I was glowing over this thread at table. Dealer said "I have lost at least $1000 at PLO8 not tabling winners when I play." This from someone making a living reading cards...

Confidently tabling bluffs is the final part of bluff! They might misread and fold! ;). It gets a lot more advertising value when all eyes are looking at your hand trying to figure out what you have.
    Co-founder Red Chip Poker,
    Author Poker Plays You Can Use
    Author Poker Workbook for Math Geeks
  • DouglasDouglas Red Chipper Posts: 2
    Doug - really enjoy the podcast, the one about your grandfather (Keith).
  • Doug HullDoug Hull RCP Coach Posts: 1,876 -
    Thank you. I was pleasantly surprised with the success of that experiment.
    Co-founder Red Chip Poker,
    Author Poker Plays You Can Use
    Author Poker Workbook for Math Geeks

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file