Set of 99s I may give up!

MrLucidLJMrLucidLJ Red Chipper Posts: 34
This is just typical my luck I am miles ahead on they have a poor draw and get there on the river.

PokerStars Zoom Hand #146762647308: Hold'em No Limit ($0.01/$0.02) - 2016/01/09 17:01:28 ET
Table 'Halley' 6-max Seat #1 is the button
Seat 1: valteroro ($0.57 in chips)
Seat 2: Th3_Dipl0mat ($2.04 in chips)
Seat 3: finn819 ($1.12 in chips)
Seat 4: Lt.Kobretti ($2.61 in chips)
Seat 5: hero ($2.55 in chips)
Seat 6: Sweril ($2 in chips)
Th3_Dipl0mat: posts small blind $0.01
finn819: posts big blind $0.02
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to hero
:9c :9s
Lt.Kobretti: folds
hero: raises $0.05
Sweril: folds
valteroro: calls $0.05
Th3_Dipl0mat: folds
finn819: calls $0.03
*** FLOP ***
:8c :9h :Js
finn819: bets $0.06
hero: raises $0.18
valteroro: raises $0.52 and is all-in
finn819: folds
hero: calls $0.34
*** TURN ***
:8c :9h :Js :5h
*** RIVER ***
:8c :9h :Js :5h :Qs
*** SHOW DOWN ***
hero: shows :9c :9s
(three of a kind, Nines)
valteroro: shows :Tc :Jh (a straight, Eight to Queen)
valteroro collected $1.22 from pot

Comments

• JfdiwinsJfdiwins Red Chipper Posts: 52
    Hi,
    Unlucky, you have middle set and can be up against hands that you are ahead of on the flop 88/J9/JT/AJ to name a few and are only behind to JJ/Q10 so I would play the hand exactly the same unfortunately the villain gets there on the river.
    In this hand you have almost 73% equity on the flop so as played is fine.

I am rarely folding a set even on a board like this as the villain can stack off with a lot wider range than a straight or top set. Even if they have the straight you will still improve around 35% and are getting the right price to call.
  • MrLucidLJMrLucidLJ Red Chipper Posts: 34
    Jfdiwins wrote: »
    Hi,
    Unlucky, you have middle set and can be up against hands that you are ahead of on the flop 88/J9/JT/AJ to name a few and are only behind to JJ/Q10 so I would play the hand exactly the same unfortunately the villain gets there on the river.
    In this hand you have almost 73% equity on the flop so as played is fine.

I am rarely folding a set even on a board like this as the villain can stack off with a lot wider range than a straight or top set. Even if they have the straight you will still improve around 35% and are getting the right price to call.

Thanks for the insight and yes your right their are tonnes of hands I am ahead of quite a big range of hands and only behind a few. I hate it when I have 70% plus equity and lose to a draw that gets there on the river. Appreciate the feedback its good to hear I am not doing things too badly lol
  • JoeOffsuitJoeOffsuit Red Chipper Posts: 387 ✭✭✭
    You went all in with the best of it. Your going to drawn out on time and again, but long term in these situations you are going to net win. Make sure you have the bankroll to handle the swings!
    JoeOffsuit wrote: »
    You went all in with the best of it. Your going to drawn out on time and again, but long term in these situations you are going to net win. Make sure you have the bankroll to handle the swings!

I don't have much have about 20 dollars on pokerstars I know I should have around 50-100 dollar range but with all these beats I get I seem to lose my money at times. What stakes do you play at?
    I play $1/$2 live, I usually have about $1000 on hand but just buy in for $100. I would want to have around $2000 on hand to buy in for $200. And yeah, getting stacked sucks, knowing you went in with the best of it isn't much consolation. But if you are getting your money in with a +EV edge, like you were here, you should at some point break even and net positive. Turbulence ahead!!!
    JoeOffsuit wrote: »
    I play $1/$2 live, I usually have about $1000 on hand but just buy in for $100. I would want to have around $2000 on hand to buy in for $200. And yeah, getting stacked sucks, knowing you went in with the best of it isn't much consolation. But if you are getting your money in with a +EV edge, like you were here, you should at some point break even and net positive. Turbulence ahead!!!

So you only buy in for 50bb at a 1/2 live game is that not leaving yourself short? And I thought you would need about 4k behind if you wanted proper bankroll management to have 20 buy ins at 1/2 for 100bb stacks? And I know its just I feel that I will get a good run then run into big hands where I lose 50bb plus pots where it cripples me.
  • Rello242Rello242 Red Chipper, Table Captain Posts: 595 ✭✭
    Your just on the bad side of a bad beat.
    -Rello

"Its better to give than to receive, so bet more and call less"
    Check out my HUSNG Graph: Chips-Results
    Follow All the Action On My Blog: www.rello242.blogspot.com
    I think about 100 buy ins is proper bankroll. I was just talking about how much cash I actually have in my wallet when I go to the tables!

Yes, I still buy in short for 1/2 against a lot of advice from a lot of people. But it is usually wild games with lots of people seeing the flop, and Ed Miller has written numerous times in these games its OK to buy in short.
    I also think 100 buy-ins is truly a proper bankroll management as well.
    -Rello

• SullySully Red Chipper Posts: 732 ✭✭✭
    So I shouldn't play 1-2 live where the proper buy in is $200 until I have $20,000?

In any given session are you really prepared to lose 10 buy ins?
    sullyooo wrote: »
    So I shouldn't play 1-2 live where the proper buy in is $200 until I have $20,000?

Its not to say that you shouldn't play 1/2 until you have $20,000, but the more serious you take poker in terms of income the better prepared you should be. I remember doing quite a number of samples of Pokerdope.com variance calculator and having a downswings of 20+ buy-ins can really happen. Outside the variance, in poker you have have to accommodate for tips, cost of travel or even staying in a hotel, etc. Whatever it is, I believe that you could have good bankroll management and then I also believe you could have the proper/ideal bankroll management. Not just that, the ideal/proper bankroll management allows you to have swings without moving down, covering your cost to live, etc. and still be well staked for your games. With that being said, the ideal bankroll management is really meant for more the full time grinders, and as you move close to that title for full time grinding you will notice the importance of really having a big bankroll. The less you rely on your poker income the less the bankroll you need and it is also why i believe that people who don't fully rely on Poker could get away with as little as having 10 buy-ins.

-Rello

If you have another source of income, then its OK. But if not, than this is all about another lengthy subject of minimizing your "risk of ruin". Even if you have an edge on all your opponents, you are going to get bad beats enough that you need deep reserves to stay in the game.
    Not really, but if my opponents are playing goofy and I am getting drawn out on, I like to have deep pockets to get back into the game. I also never want to go broke on a session

• tagliustaglius Red Chipper Posts: 290 ✭✭
    This "woe is me, this is just my luck" attitude has got to go away if you want to get serious about poker. If you get in as a 70/30 favorite, they WILL get there 30% of the time. There's nothing you can do about it, and you are by no means alone. In fact, better players get sucked out on more often than bad players, because they get their money in good more often.

If you can't live with the idea of putting money in the pot as a big favorite and then losing that money sometimes, then poker is the wrong game for you.
  • shaneshane Red Chipper Posts: 35 ✭✭
    You hit mid set which is very exciting but the flop was not a favorable one for the strong hand you made. The villain is almost always either going to have a made hand or many outs. The villain after the flop was probably committed the see it to the end. Checking on the flop and pushing or folding to a raiser would have shown the table you were serious about your holdings. Then they have to decide if they want to draw out on you.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file