Flatting vs 3betting aq, aj, kq, jj...

MtipsterMtipster Red Chipper Posts: 131 ✭✭
I'm interested in situations when facing a raise from later positon opener (BU, CO) in BU or blinds. In his videos, Splitsuit usually recommends flatting these hands but I noticed there is lot of discussion in youtube comments about it.
Recently, I reviewed my database and discovered AJo is my worst hand!
I won't ask is it correct to flat or 3bet, but what is your thought process in these situations? What are the reasons for flatting or 3betting (if we have some information about villain, his opening and continuing range)?

Comments

• SplitSuitSplitSuit RCP Coach Posts: 4,057 -
    If you are a PRO Member, or want to try your free trial, check out this video I did: http://redchippoker.com/pro-video-sweeney010/ as I discuss flatting vs 3betting KQ in it.

When facing an open consider the following:

1. If you flat, what's likely going to happen?
    2. If you were to 3bet, what's likely going to happen?
    3. Is your edge larger flatting or 3betting?
    4. What's your image and what image are you trying to cultivate at this table?
    5. Is your postflop edge greater in a single-raised or 3bet pot?

Once you give some honest answers to those questions, it'll help you formulate the exact line you should take =)
    📑 Grab my custom poker spreadsheet pack right now.
    📘 Start the Preflop & Math Poker Workbook today.
  • MtipsterMtipster Red Chipper Posts: 131 ✭✭
    Yep, watched the video already, I noticed that lately more aggressive actions are recommended with these hands than few years ago. Sometimes after 3betting, for instance, aq and inducing villain's fold I'm confused, not sure should I be happy with the result or I could get more by flatting.
    Thanks for answering. ;)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file