015 - 5 Questions to Answer Before Playing a Hand

Listen now to episode #15 of our podcast:
5 Questions to Answer Before Playing a Hand.

We want to know what you think about the episode. Are you asking yourself these questions? Have other questions to suggest? What's your pre-hand routine/thought process?
Red Chip Poker

Comments

• dirty moosedirty moose Red Chipper Posts: 482 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2016
    Best podcast to date IMO.
    I'd also like to hear what other pre-hand routines/thought process are.
  • SplitSuitSplitSuit RCP Coach Posts: 4,082 -
    Glad to hear you enjoyed it so much!

What other inflection points would you like discussed?
    📑 Grab my custom poker spreadsheet pack right now.
    📘 Start the Preflop & Math Poker Workbook today.
  • thekidtimthekidtim Red Chipper Posts: 24
    Really enjoyed the episode. Definitely would like to hear others thought process. I've found that having a routine helps my playing alot. Otherwise I'm the one at the table watching the television after about 30 minutes.
    thekidtim wrote: »
    ...Otherwise I'm the one at the table watching the television after about 30 minutes.

Don't be that guy! You miss all of the great information between your opponent's just telling you their strategy and all the hands that get shown down (not to mention the frequency information you gain by paying attention!)
  • thekidtimthekidtim Red Chipper Posts: 24
    Maybe for future podcast or vids(hopefully both) same kind of concept for flop turn river. One of the things that happens to me is I get abit overwhelmed and having a checklist in my head would help alot. I think the length of the gto podcast was perfect.
  • dirty moosedirty moose Red Chipper Posts: 482 ✭✭✭
    SplitSuit wrote: »
    Glad to hear you enjoyed it so much!

What other inflection points would you like discussed?

James,

Maybe something along the lines of "why are we going to put money into the pot"?

Matt
  • SixthStreetSixthStreet Red Chipper Posts: 260 ✭✭
    ? #1what are do you anticipate other players going to do?

So my ? Is if you have good notes on regs. How should you war game your preflop play off table? What would be a good deliberate practice method? We should be able to build some basic default plan to help our decision process.
    1. if i raise, are there likely 3bettors behind me? If OTB, what's my continuance range? If in the blinds, what's my continuance range?
    2. If i raise do I expect 2+ callers? will i have position or not on them? if i changed my size, does that create a better situation?
    3. If i raise do I expect a ton of folds? if yes, are all sizes created equal? could i raise a much wider range of hands here?

etc.
  • mbehr1983mbehr1983 Red Chipper Posts: 635 ✭✭✭
    It's progress now that I am at least thinking proactive. I don't do this every hand but I know when I don't do it. It just seems like it goes so fast to process these 5? I guess we can be asking these before it's our turn and that may speed the process up some gonna try that tonight. I usually listen to this and beating marshmallow pits before my games since that is what My games are. A reg at one of my games kept saying if I get a pair I am staying because a pair is hard to get. This is not a pp but if he gets any pair he will go to showdown
    The more you practice it, the quicker it becomes and eventually it becomes second-nature. And yes, ask/answer some of those questions both a.) before it's your turn and b.) after you've folded to keep your brain engaged and increase the number of reps so that it becomes second-nature quicker =)
  • SixthStreetSixthStreet Red Chipper Posts: 260 ✭✭
    I came up with simple list for now.
    Position
    Action
    My Range
    SPR
    Post Flop.
    These are the key words that help. I came up with them by listening to podcast multi times in a row and taking notes.
    Made a S-Note on my phone big bold letters. look at it time to time and took scheduled breaks to just sit and review it and current play.

Two things happened because of it. Kept me on track of my ranges and players, took sting off bad beats.

I came up with simple list for now.
    Position
    Action
    My Range
    SPR
    Post Flop.
    These are the key words that help. I came up with them by listening to podcast multi times in a row and taking notes.
    Made a S-Note on my phone big bold letters. look at it time to time and took scheduled breaks to just sit and review it and current play.

Two things happened because of it. Kept me on track of my ranges and players, took sting off bad beats.

Cheers to that!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file