Bad play on my part live 1-2

Ranceg29Ranceg29 Red Chipper Posts: 136 ✭✭
I havent posted to the forums in some time so I wanted to share a hand I played today at 1-2. i dont really have a question but I feel like perhaps someone can learn from the mistake I made or maybe somebody would like to discuss.

Im in a decent daytime 1-2 game and have the villain in hand covered $300 eff. Shes a woman in her 40s gives off a kinda "rough around the edges/biker chick" kinda vibe (sorry thats the best i can do). Ive seen her a handfull of times thru the years, shes not a reg but shes an unstudied rec player who knows her way around the table, thats my read at least.

An ep player opens $6
Hero raises MP to $22 with :Kc :Kd
Villain CO snap calls $22
everyone else folds

Surprised by the cold snap call to a 3bet my gut tells me shes right around TT-QQ here. Anything less would surprise me. I guess in retrospect AKs might make some sense but thats just what i was thinking in real time.

Flop $53 :Ts :8d :5s

Hero bets $35
Villain Calls $35

As shes calling Im really thinking she has JJ-QQ here.

THEN

Right after she calls she blatanty shows her cards to her neighbor. Right then It hit me that something was off. If she was holding Jacks or Queens shes probably really worried right now whether or not shes beat and why would she eagerly be showing her neighbor.

Any how Im hell bent on stacking her JJ-QQ.

Turn $123 :2s

Now I bet $100 and she snap shoves which ends up being like $105 more to call. I talk myself into she could have JJ-QQ with a spade and make the call.

Of course she has KJss.

Anyhow I just want to say that when you have a gut feeling about something and then you gain conflicting information instead of being stubborn like I was you should really sit back take a deep breath and re evaluate the situation. Im known to make decisions really quickly at the table. If i had sat back and thought after she showed the cards to her neighbor I would have likely deduced that there was a good chance she had a flush draw. Thats the type of hand someone would show to their neighbor there.

Anyhow I just wanted to get that hand off my chest because I know I made a mistake and its been bothering me. Hopefully somebody can recall it if they find themselves in a similar spot and someone eagerly shows their neighbor their cards in a spot they should be worrisome.

Comments

• kg_bettorkg_bettor Red Chipper Posts: 34 ✭✭
    This is something I've been working on myself - taking some time and re-evaluating things with ALL new information. I find I often do the same type of mistake you mention, going with my initial read/gut and not really thinking about the new info. Expensive bad habit. :/
  • SplitSuitSplitSuit RCP Coach Posts: 3,844 -
    I know this wasn't your point to starting this thread - but any thought to just CRing the flop?
    My latest poker course brings the popular book 'Poker's 1%' to life- The One Percent
  • jocarjocar Red Chipper Posts: 1 ✭✭
    thanks thought I was alone with acting before thinking but even if she didn't show neighbor shouldn't this have been in her range but again that's thinking it through not at the table
  • GabeyJGabeyJ Red Chipper Posts: 436 ✭✭✭
    I'm curious why you atomically put her on such a small range? 22 pre isn't much ore flop to think she is limited to big pairs and maybe AK
  • Ranceg29Ranceg29 Red Chipper Posts: 136 ✭✭
    GabeyJ wrote: »
    I'm curious why you atomically put her on such a small range? 22 pre isn't much ore flop to think she is limited to big pairs and maybe AK

its just the dynamic of the game at the time. It was playing kinda tight and I hadnt played a hand for a raise in the 20 mins she was there. Therefore i mistakenly assigned a tighter cold call 3 bet range.
  • Ranceg29Ranceg29 Red Chipper Posts: 136 ✭✭
    SplitSuit wrote: »
    I know this wasn't your point to starting this thread - but any thought to just CRing the flop?

I did not at the time. I see your point though, with the range I assigned I get more $ in the pot by going for a check raise here. Makes sense.
  • jeffncjeffnc Red Chipper Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2016
    I find it interesting that if someone asks about a hand on the forum and I answer, sometimes I would actually play the hand differently in the heat of battle than my answer. One thing I try to do is ask myself during the hand, "If someone else asked you what you would recommend they do here, what would you tell them?" This seems to help me get past whatever personal bias I'm having, and make the most object decision.
  • FilthyCasualFilthyCasual Red Chipper Posts: 871 ✭✭✭
    jeffnc wrote: »
    I find it interesting that if someone asks about a hand on the forum and I answer, sometimes I would actually play the hand differently in the heat of battle than my answer. One thing I try to do is ask myself during the hand, "If someone else asked you what you would recommend they do here, what would you tell them?" This seems to help me get past whatever personal bias I'm having, and make the most object decision.

That's a great thing to add to the thought process checklist. From a lot of the vids on here, a common theme seems to be "Coach asks why, student bricks". If you can frame it at the table as if it was a forum question, it can take you out of the situation and you'll be able to make an educated play over an emotional one.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file