Developing a pre-flop tournament strategy, Questions

JustKiddinJustKiddin Red Chipper Posts: 5
Interesting video just a few things I'm not quite clear on,
1. Should this be used as a basic framework of a pre-flop strategy and then you should make adjustments to the players you have at your table or do you think we should stick to this strategy regardless of who we're playing against.
2. From middle position why are we only isoing with premiums and top of our mid range when nearly all of our mid range would be ahead of a limp. Its seems to tight. I understand that later position players could 3 bet us,(not too common in lower stakes tournaments) but shouldn't we start with a wider range and make adjustments if we feel we are getting 3bet too often.
3. From middle position are we 3-betting middle of our range hands because we expect to be flatted more often instead of being 4-betted or folded because of the stack size. And if this is the case why don't we add more premiums so we can dominate more hands in 3bet pots.
4. What is the flatting range in late position?
5. From late position you are only 3betting the bottom of your range, is this not very unbalanced?

Comments

• Jymaster11Jymaster11 RCP Coach Posts: 8 ✭✭
    JustKiddin wrote: »
    Interesting video just a few things I'm not quite clear on,
    1. Should this be used as a basic framework of a pre-flop strategy and then you should make adjustments to the players you have at your table or do you think we should stick to this strategy regardless of who we're playing against.
    2. From middle position why are we only isoing with premiums and top of our mid range when nearly all of our mid range would be ahead of a limp. Its seems to tight. I understand that later position players could 3 bet us,(not too common in lower stakes tournaments) but shouldn't we start with a wider range and make adjustments if we feel we are getting 3bet too often.
    3. From middle position are we 3-betting middle of our range hands because we expect to be flatted more often instead of being 4-betted or folded because of the stack size. And if this is the case why don't we add more premiums so we can dominate more hands in 3bet pots.
    4. What is the flatting range in late position?
    5. From late position you are only 3betting the bottom of your range, is this not very unbalanced?

Hey Justkiddin, gonna try to answer a few of these and hopefully I'm able provide a little more clarity in this approach.

Any strategy will need to be adjusted somewhat according to the table but I recommend using this strategy as a basic outline for anyone looking to actually have a plan going into a tournament rather than just playing on the fly.

The reason we 3-bet the middle of our range from middle position is to isolate the initial raiser and to also to deter more people behind us from entering the pot as the middle of our range plays best heads-up. Flatting also leaves us open to being squeezed by someone behind(thus the reason we're flatting our premiums).

From late position(depending on stack size) we will be flatting different portions of the middle of our range(all of it when we are deep and the upper portion of our mid range when we're really short.

Here's a more detailed range of a balanced 3-betting range; 77-QQ, QJo, KJo, KQo, ATo, AJo, KTo, JTo, QTo.
    Above is 12% of hands you're dealt so if you're 3-betting that range and flatting this range you will be balanced; AA, KK, QJs, KJs, KQs, AJs, JTs-ATs, using discretion with A2s-A9s. By "use discretion" I mean that it's fine to just open fold when a guy is opening a pretty tight range just like it's fine to flat 77-TT instead of 3-betting it in a similar situation.

Hopefully this helps to clarify a few of the questions you had. I'll make sure to check back in more frequently to answer future questions.

-Jordan

• HAKKA-AAHAKKA-AA Red Chipper Posts: 45 ✭✭
    Jymaster11 wrote: »
    Here's a more detailed range of a balanced 3-betting range; 77-QQ, QJo, KJo, KQo, ATo, AJo, KTo, JTo, QTo.
    Above is 12% of hands you're dealt so if you're 3-betting that range and flatting this range you will be balanced; AA, KK, QJs, KJs, KQs, AJs, JTs-ATs, using discretion with A2s-A9s. By "use discretion" I mean that it's fine to just open fold when a guy is opening a pretty tight range just like it's fine to flat 77-TT instead of 3-betting it in a similar situation.

Hopefully this helps to clarify a few of the questions you had. I'll make sure to check back in more frequently to answer future questions.

-Jordan

Sorry but I don't understand these explanations.
    77-QQ, QJo, KJo, KQo, ATo, AJo, KTo, JTo, QTo. is a balanced 3-Betting range? can you clarify, because in your vid, you mentionned "bottom range" as 3-Betting range from LP??
    thanks !
  • HAKKA-AAHAKKA-AA Red Chipper Posts: 45 ✭✭
    I'd like clarification, would be good to continue your theory serie and explanations

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file