017 - The 5 Parts of a Range

When ranging opponents' hands, it's important to simplify the complex possibilities into manageable buckets. That's exactly what SplitSuit does in this week's podcast:

The Five Parts of a Range

Do you use this method to simplify hand ranging? Do you have other tips to share?
Red Chip Poker

Comments

• FilthyCasualFilthyCasual Red Chipper Posts: 871 ✭✭✭
    Really enjoyed this episode. Always start this way with Flopzilla, but still was having difficulties conceptualizing it at the table. I would just try and recall a Flopzilla chart I have and roughly contort it. Seems simple to organize it as the podcast laid out, and looking back feels silly just recalling a chart on flopzilla, adding some hands into the range here, removing some there.

My question, if we always start at pocket 5s for a given player type, how do we start narrowing it to pocket 7s or beyond? Seems like it would take a while to slim down the range
  • SplitSuitSplitSuit RCP Coach Posts: 4,082 -
    Thanks!

And yeah, it takes time and showdowns to begin to narrow things. And honestly, you'll rarely get to the point where you can narrow from something like 55 to 77 in a live game (the sample sizes are simply too small). Just focus on getting damn-close more often than not and you'll do a ton better than your opponents.
    📑 Grab my custom poker spreadsheet pack right now.
    📘 Start the Preflop & Math Poker Workbook today.
  • thekidtimthekidtim Red Chipper Posts: 24
    James what do you think of the ranges that equilab uses from pokerstrategy, deuces cracked, card runners etc? I'm starting to work on my hand reading and was wondering if these ranges were close. Thanks.
  • thepokermonkthepokermonk Red Chipper Posts: 320 ✭✭✭
    Thanks SplitSuit for the great podcast. I'm still struggling with hand reading at the table and having a procedure to run down in my head like you give (starting with pocket pairs, then Broadway hands, etc.) in the podcast is extremely helpful. I've kind of been doing things haphazardly and having a more methodical means of putting people on a range of hands until I get better at it is great.
  • SplitSuitSplitSuit RCP Coach Posts: 4,082 -
    thekidtim wrote: »
    James what do you think of the ranges that equilab uses from pokerstrategy, deuces cracked, card runners etc? I'm starting to work on my hand reading and was wondering if these ranges were close. Thanks.

I just flicked through them and they are saying A7s is more likely to be raised than 22? Sounds like they just dragged the whammy bar instead of assigning a range that a normal player would choose.
    therob1776 wrote: »
    Thanks SplitSuit for the great podcast. I'm still struggling with hand reading at the table and having a procedure to run down in my head like you give (starting with pocket pairs, then Broadway hands, etc.) in the podcast is extremely helpful. I've kind of been doing things haphazardly and having a more methodical means of putting people on a range of hands until I get better at it is great.

You're very welcome! And yeah, a methodology is crucial to making the process for effective and efficient =)
    📑 Grab my custom poker spreadsheet pack right now.
    📘 Start the Preflop & Math Poker Workbook today.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file