Flop Trips vs Boat

WuBerryWuBerry Red Chipper Posts: 10 ✭✭
1-2NL EFF Stacks $170 : Utg limps, folds to me on Btn raise $6 :Ts:8c , BB calls, limper calls. 3way flop action. Flop :9c:Td:Th chk chk I bet $12 call call. Turn :7s chk chk I chk hoping to show a lil weakness n pick up a call on river. River :5d BB leads out $30 into $55 pot, EP folds, I raise to $80, BB looks at my stack about 4 times n goes All-In, he has me covered, I've got $75 left and I call. BB shows :9h:9s for a flopped boat. I'm really questioning my raise on river. BB is straightforward tag\nit type. What could he have that would call a raise n that I beat? Felt I way overcommitted in small pot. Pot size was $55 heading to river n I had $150 behind still. Thoughts please

Comments

• Ranceg29Ranceg29 Red Chipper Posts: 145 ✭✭
    I think your thought process in retrospect is right on with this hand. I'll kindly start by saying Im not really a fan of the $6 button iso with this hand...I wouldve just limped behind or popped it to maybe $12 to give myself a chance to take it down pre but I know thats not your question so its a moot point.

When he bets RIV into you, sure your hand stands to be good most of the time and he really shouldnt think you have a TEN. However if you really take a step back and look at it WHAT hands would he call with if you raise? I think AA-JJ looks you up but its VERY unlikely he has these. Its even more unlikely he has a TEN that you beat here. That leaves us with his single pair hands with a NINE in them. Is he betting $30 on the river with these? Maybe but likely not given your read on him. Would he call a river reraise with these? Even less likely. I would say the bet your facing is a mix of hands that beat you...hands that you beat that he most likely would not call a raise...or just outright bluffs that would not call a raise.

I know it feels really weak to just call and turn over top trips here but I think its the right play in this spot.

• persuadeopersuadeo Red Chipper Posts: 4,396 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would look into your preflop decisions here.
  • sparkyAAsparkyAA Red Chipper Posts: 160 ✭✭
    I would look into your checking the turn decisions here.
  • WuBerryWuBerry Red Chipper Posts: 10 ✭✭
    Thanks Rance I had a lot of those same thoughts when thinking about the hand. There's really nothing he calls a raise with that I beat. Like u said very unlikely to have over pair or worse 10. In the moment I had that exact thought "it feels too weak to just call n turn up trips" Reflecting tho I feel that's the play. Appreciate the thoughts Rance
  • SplitSuitSplitSuit RCP Coach Posts: 4,082 -
    Yeah, preflop is really important here.

By just raising to $6 you give the blinds + the limper a great price. It doesn't really stand to pick up the preflop pot very often on its own...so you end up bloating a pot with a garbage hand.
    📑 Grab my custom poker spreadsheet pack right now.
    📘 Start the Preflop & Math Poker Workbook today.
  • Riverboat BillRiverboat Bill Red Chipper Posts: 454 ✭✭
    River error. I was playing a 1/2 game where I had some history with the V. I won a huge pot over 1K with him a few weeks prior with 89ss. He raised the turn in a 3way where I flopped top two. Check, I bet. Call, fold. He called even larger bet on the river and turns over AA. This is a loose game with a lot of calling stations. Guys having fun. Not unusual for a player to call $150 with a GS.

Effect $350. A few weeks later, I raised from the But with AA to 35 and get two callers. Sweet. Flop(105) is 5,6,6 rainbow. Check, check I bet 70. He raises to $150, folds to me. I think he doesn't call $35 with PP5's so I call. Turn(405) a 2, he puts me AI. Again, weak game he probably has KK, maybe QQ. I call. River is a 4. He flips over 4,6ss.

He called my $35 bet with 4,6ss. I refused to give him credit to play as well as he did. I would normally shut down on a paired board if raised. But in THIS game. Really THIS game had nothing to do with it. He was telling me he could beat a pair of 6s. He also was telling me he could beat two pair. That I didn't give enough thought. I was thinking about my AA.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file