double barrel K w/ Ace on flop?

tagliustaglius Red Chipper Posts: 291 ✭✭
Match 4 of my 11 part tourney series - my observation is that the league is pretty solid overall, with some light 3betting and flop floating.

In this hand, I raise :8c:9c and get one caller. I spectacularly whiff on a board of :As:7h:4d. I cbet and my villain (a solid female player in her 50s, with whom I have played many times) beats my chips into the pot.

The turn is a :Kd. Do you ever double barrel this? Why or why not?

Comments

• Player 1Player 1 Red Chipper Posts: 62 ✭✭
    I think you would tend not to bet because by beating you into the pot she is indicating that she has a hand that does not have to think about calling which mean Ax+ or a draw none of which are going to fold to further action. Maybe she has a hand like TT and will fold but I think it is more likely by combinations and behavior to be a hand like Ax or 56. If she does have 56 or 86 you are ahead anyway.
  • persuadeopersuadeo Red Chipper Posts: 4,396 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I've raised from seat 12 and she's called from the 14 hole, I'd be very concerned about her stack size, so my sizing might be different from yours here.
  • FilthyCasualFilthyCasual Red Chipper Posts: 871 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2016
    Unless you think 56 is in the villains range, their really isn't a draw that the villain could be on, so the float seems weighted towards mid strength. If I think I can get the villain. To fold an ace, I might continue to barrel, but usually it's more of a high risk line that I avoid. Also, any hopeful backdoor draw was stopped in its tracks. I could see cbetting this for board texture, but I might convince myself otherwise without the backdoor FD

I think you'll have to 3 barrel this too often. Not sure many older poker players are just dropping top pair. Especially the older female poker players I've come across seem extraordinarily sticky
  • BenLeewoodBenLeewood Red Chipper Posts: 285 ✭✭
    She has an Ace (probably A-10 or A-9). And from the looks of it, doesn't believe you have anything. When a player you've played with many times before beats you into the pot.....You can be assured she either has a good read on you or has you beat handely. I'd wait for a better spot before throwing anymore money into this pot.

Plus it's a terrible flop and turn for your hand. it looks like to execute a successful bluff here, you'd have to commit a LOT of chips. Check/fold and move on. Maybe mention that your 10's must not be any good when she bets the turn;)
  • BenLeewoodBenLeewood Red Chipper Posts: 285 ✭✭
    She has an Ace (probably A-10 or A-9). And from the looks of it, doesn't believe you have anything. When a player you've played with many times before beats you into the pot.....You can be assured she either has a good read on you or has you beat handely. I'd wait for a better spot before throwing anymore money into this pot.

Plus it's a terrible flop and turn for your hand. it looks like to execute a successful bluff here, you'd have to commit a LOT of chips. Check/fold and move on. Maybe mention that your 10's must not be any good when she bets the turn;)
  • tagliustaglius Red Chipper Posts: 291 ✭✭
    agreed that the flop is terrible for my hand, which was why I started thinking about the things I could get her to fold. I felt like I could get enough second pairs to fold and I did double barrel, and once again she insta-called.
  • Wiki_LeaksWiki_Leaks Red Chipper Posts: 564 ✭✭✭
    You didnt state why you chose to cbet.

You stated the field has a tendency to float. Sure you have range advantage (please indicate positions) but you have no equity. If you are cbeting naked backdoors with no good blockers, what hands are you check folding? If she floats a lot what cards do you barrel on turn? Unless you have a read this opponent is extremely fit or fold just check fold esp oop, and even in then its probably a 1 And done most of the time.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file