Simple hand scenario

evpropevprop Red Chipper Posts: 62 ✭✭
Poker Stars $0.05/$0.10 No Limit Hold'em - 6 players - View hand 2870066
DeucesCracked Poker Videos Hand History Converter

BTN: $8.44
Hero (SB): $10.85
BB: $18.37
UTG: $14.77
MP: $4.05
CO: $10.00

Pre Flop: ($0.15) Hero is SB with 5spade.gif 5diamond.gif
4 folds, Hero raises to $0.30, BB raises to $0.90, Hero calls $0.60

Flop: ($1.80) 7diamond.gif 8spade.gif 5club.gif (2 players)
Hero checks, BB bets $0.90, Hero raises to $2.10, BB folds

Zero hands on villain
So default line for me on this flop is as played above.
I choose check/raise because:
I have no reads on villain if hes super aggro enough to bluff multi streets or bet 3 streets on wet board possibly getting more wetter on turn and river with TT+ type hands.

So I am purely aiming only for the times he has a big pair and believes I am either semi bluffing or overvaluing TPTK.

Am i missing value this way?
Is my check raise size good or bad?

What are your default lines for this spot?

Are you always calling the 3bet? or are you ever folding or 4betting?

Comments

  • TheDukezTheDukez Red Chipper Posts: 11
    In a small vs big blind battle I think it's very profitable to 4bet back, especialy versus a unknown. To end the hand right here, letting him fold lots of weak broadways combo's and hands like 76s+ is very profitable cause all these hands have like 50% equity vs your 55's.

    Also I think it's an advantage you are unknowns to each other in this spot, where he has no reason to think your 4betting light, and has to respect it.

    Also 55's flop and play very poor on the flop, OP, without initiative.

    On the flop I would call his flop bet, as I think his betsize shows weakness (bet his overpairs and draws bigger on these kind of boards to protect). But cant know for sure cause he's an unknown. If he's strong he also barrels on most turn and river cards, if he's weak he might keep bluffing multi streets. If he's strong and you raise he will stay, if he's weak and you raise he's gone, missing the bets he may fired on turn and river if you didnt.

    I THINK
  • evpropevprop Red Chipper Posts: 62 ✭✭
    TheDukez wrote: »
    In a small vs big blind battle I think it's very profitable to 4bet back, especialy versus a unknown. To end the hand right here, letting him fold lots of weak broadways combo's and hands like 76s+ is very profitable cause all these hands have like 50% equity vs your 55's.

    Also I think it's an advantage you are unknowns to each other in this spot, where he has no reason to think your 4betting light, and has to respect it.
    I really like the above point, I am just thinking then what i am calling with... maybe Strong broadways, TT+, a few select suited connectors?
    4betting hands like 55,some suited AxKxQx blockers , QQ+
    TheDukez wrote: »
    Also 55's flop and play very poor on the flop, OP, without initiative.
    True
    TheDukez wrote: »
    On the flop I would call his flop bet, as I think his betsize shows weakness (bet his overpairs and draws bigger on these kind of boards to protect). But cant know for sure cause he's an unknown.
    We cant know for sure yet about his betsize, but in general i take your point there
    TheDukez wrote: »
    If he's strong he also barrels on most turn and river cards, if he's weak he might keep bluffing multi streets. If he's strong and you raise he will stay, if he's weak and you raise he's gone, missing the bets he may fired on turn and river if you didnt.
    So, if hes strong with overpairs, does he still barrel when the board gets scarier?
    If hes weak, im an unknown too, does he bluff a lot with no idea of me?
    If he is strong, he most likely will react to the reraise believing i am either trying to bluff/ semi bluff / overvaluing hands like A8
    if hes weak he folds like this hand
    if hes very aggressive maniac he continues in the hand by shoving over my check raise
    TheDukez wrote: »
    I THINK
    I think!! ;)
  • TheDukezTheDukez Red Chipper Posts: 11
    edited February 2016
    I am just thinking then what i am calling with... maybe Strong broadways, TT+, a few select suited connectors?
    4betting hands like 55,some suited AxKxQx blockers , QQ+


    I am not sure what range to call exactly in this spot, because its a unknown.. Upcomming webinar by James 'splitsuit' Sweeney will sure come in handy for us I believe. I will call hands I feel comfortably enough with to play post flop OP. So, hands that flop well, like some of the hands you are mentioning.


    So, if hes strong with overpairs, does he still barrel when the board gets scarier?
    I don't think there are that much cards that are scary for him, if he has it.

    If hes weak, im an unknown too, does he bluff a lot with no idea of me?
    Yes I think he will untill you have shown some real strenght, calling the flop issent a sign of massive strenght. If you like 4bet, or reraise his cbet, these are kind of actions he has to take seriously because these are signs of strenght. He cant lable these actions as a bluff till he has some idea of what you're playing style is.

    If he is strong, he most likely will react to the reraise believing i am either trying to bluff/ semi bluff / overvaluing hands like A8
    Yes, but there are many more hands in his range right now, that arent that strong, and I think must get the chance to hit a pair on the turn.


    I think!! ;)
    Haha, yes I think. I could be wrong in some (or all) of my observations.
  • SullySully Red Chipper Posts: 753 ✭✭✭
    Next time try donking this flop for like .75. A whole wide world of actions is going to open up. None of them good for the villain

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file