Squeeze Bet from SB against a small stack (Personal Challenge)

f.sorschf.sorsch Red Chipper Posts: 11
Hey guys! So this is is going to be the first hand history I'm gunna do for the week as part of my personal challenge. This weeks goal was to improve my squeeze betting. The hand I'm posting below was a tricky one for me to asses while playing, so hopefully I can break it down now, off the table!

PokerStars - $0.05 NL - Holdem - 8 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

Hero (SB): $7.64
BB: $3.30 (VPIP: 16.13, PFR: 9.68, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 32)
UTG: $0.89 (VPIP: 72.73, PFR: 0.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 11)
UTG+1: $6.04 (VPIP: 11.70, PFR: 9.04, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 190)
MP: $5.00 (VPIP: 5.77, PFR: 4.81, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 104)
MP+1: $4.73 (VPIP: 17.61, PFR: 14.47, 3Bet Preflop: 2.00, Hands: 162)
CO: $5.03 (VPIP: 23.53, PFR: 17.65, 3Bet Preflop: 12.50, Hands: 17)
BTN: $4.93 (VPIP: 12.40, PFR: 6.98, 3Bet Preflop: 3.85, Hands: 134)

Hero posts SB $0.02, BB posts BB $0.05

Pre Flop: (pot: $0.07) Hero has :Ad :8d

UTG raises to $0.10, fold, fold, fold, fold, BTN calls $0.10, Hero raises to $0.45...

Squeezing here from the small blind come with the bonus of defending my blind (which realistically is pretty insignificant) but the downside is that post flop I'll be totally out of position. If the pot ends up going multiway, or even if it goes heads up I definitely feel like I will be strongly disadvantaged.

The reason I decided to squeeze here was really to target the small stack who opened. I've only seen 11 hands with him but he has a VPIP of 73% meaning his range must be extremely wide. The caller doesn't really worry me because I figure he's usually trying to just see a flop against the small stack in position. He also has a FoldV3b of 86%, telling me that my bet will get through him very often, if it doesn't I know he has an extremely nutted range. I also have an ace, giving me a blocker to potential big hands like AA or AK.
fold, UTG calls $0.35, fold

Flop: ($1.05, 2 players) :Th :5c :Kh
Hero checks, UTG checks

So the small stack calls, and the button folds. We are now heads up in a 3bet pot with 0.5 SPR. Any bet I make will be putting him all in. Seeing that I missed, I decided just to check. If I shove, he calls with basically any draw, any pair. I have no real info on this player, but let's assume that he opens with a range of 50% of hands just to be conservative, and he calls a 3Bet with half that range, 25% of hands. Plugging a 25% range into Flopzilla, we see that villain makes a pair ~45% of the time with this flop. I think checking here was good seeing that he'd shove any pair (assumption).
Turn: ($1.05, 2 players) :Jd
Hero bets $7.19 and is all-in

After getting the turn checked back, I pick up a gut shot. If I continue with the assumption that he would have shoved any pair, I was prepared to shove any turn. The jack definitely hit his range more then mine, but if he doesn't have a jack, I thought any shove would get him to fold.

Any comments would be super helpful! The two main things I'm unsure of are:

1) Is squeezing from the SB worth it considering being OOP if I get called?
2) Considering that getting called would mean a tiny SPR, should that change my decision to squeeze?

Cheers,
Frank

Comments

• SplitSuitSplitSuit RCP Coach Posts: 4,010 -
    1. For sure (when the spot is good for it)
    2. Yes, and more importantly because villain has such a wide VPIP. That implies he's going to call much more often, putting you into a hellish SPR OOP with a bad hand.
    3. Size is vital here. If you only go to .45, the OR is giving action a ton (partially because the size, partially because he has position, and partially because of his stats), which then gives the button great odds to come along as well. OOP especially, ask yourself what a larger size like .65 might do to their frequencies...
  • persuadeopersuadeo Red Chipper, Table Captain Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That said, this is not a great spot. OR will never fold his UTG range with 20 bbs and Hero's holding is at the bottom of a short stack range.
  • evpropevprop Red Chipper Posts: 62 ✭✭
    Here is a squeeze from me
    I am playing probably to nitty atm and currently out of 4k hands ive only squeezed 16 times.

Poker Stars $0.05/$0.10 No Limit Hold'em - 6 players - View hand 2873145
    DeucesCracked Poker Videos Hand History Converter

BTN: $20.93
    SB: $29.50
    Hero (BB): $33.13
    UTG: $11.45
    MP: $10.57
    CO: $10.99

Pre Flop: ($0.15) Hero is BB with 3 :diamond: A :diamond:
    1 fold, MP raises to $0.25, 1 fold, BTN calls $0.25, 1 fold, Hero raises to $1, 2 folds

Final Pot: $0.80
    Hero mucks 3 :diamond: A :diamond:
    Hero wins $0.80

I do change my raise sizes dependant on villains,
    EP villain i have 200hands on with notes seeing him fold to small 3bet sizes + positionally aware

Button caller 30 hands but already looking as calling too many hands

However once I can get EP to fold its easier to get button to fold and done without having to raise too big.

A3s i really liked to squeeze here with button being 200bbs deep effective
  • evpropevprop Red Chipper Posts: 62 ✭✭
    Another squeeze where I elect to chk fold postflop:
    With the nuts I am always chk calling so I dont think i needed to do anything else?

Poker Stars $0.05/$0.10 No Limit Hold'em - 6 players - View hand 2873149
    DeucesCracked Poker Videos Hand History Converter

BTN: $10.24
    Hero (SB): $13.69
    BB: $10.89
    UTG: $20.12
    MP: $11.05 Only a few hands but signs of looseness
    CO: $26.80 Only a few hands but signs of looseness

Pre Flop: ($0.15) Hero is SB with K :spade: Q :diamond:
    1 fold, MP raises to $0.30, CO calls $0.30, 1 fold, Hero raises to $1.20, 1 fold, MP calls $0.90, CO calls $0.90

Flop: ($3.70) 6 :diamond: A :club: 6 :club: (3 players)
    Hero checks, MP bets $1.76, CO calls $1.76, Hero folds

Turn: ($7.22) 4 :heart: (2 players)
    MP checks, CO checks

River: ($7.22) 6 :heart: (2 players)
    MP bets $3.45, CO folds

• f.sorschf.sorsch Red Chipper Posts: 11
    Hey evprop! Cool to see some squeezes from other players, thanks so much for participating! Both the hands you posted bring up interesting ideas...

From the first hand you mentioned that you liked the spot because of how deep stacked you were at the table. Now effectively your stack is only as big as the players you play against, but I have a strong suspicion that being so deep will generate extra folds from villains due to the image they have of you (as a winning player). Of course, regs might not let your stack size affect their game, but I feel at the micro-stakes level, most players will be influenced (whether consciously or not).

The second hand to me highlights just how important the open raisers range is. Of course the range of the through caller should be considered, but the action of the open raiser will heavily influence the through callers decision, maybe even as much as hero's 3Bet!

A last note I'll make is on hero's range when 3Betting. I feel hands like KQo will tend to be worse hands to squeeze with compared to hands in a strongly polarized range (things like small suited As and Ks, maybe even small pocket pairs). I'll try and see if I can come up with some calculations to justify in a second when I post my next hand!
  • f.sorschf.sorsch Red Chipper Posts: 11
    Here's my squeeze from today!

PokerStars - $0.05 NL - Holdem - 8 players
    Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

UTG: $5.00 (VPIP: 17.86, PFR: 14.29, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 28)
    UTG+1: $4.79 (VPIP: 17.65, PFR: 5.88, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 52)
    MP: $6.12 (VPIP: 25.49, PFR: 15.69, 3Bet Preflop: 11.11, Hands: 52)
    MP+1: $5.00 (VPIP: 11.76, PFR: 7.84, 3Bet Preflop: 5.26, Hands: 52)
    Hero (CO): $5.00
    BTN: $2.01 (VPIP: 14.00, PFR: 12.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 51)
    SB: $7.49 (VPIP: 29.79, PFR: 23.40, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 50)
    BB: $7.55 (VPIP: 9.80, PFR: 3.92, 3Bet Preflop: 4.35, Hands: 52)

SB posts SB $0.02, BB posts BB $0.05

Pre Flop: (pot: $0.07) Hero has :2d :Ah

UTG raises to $0.15, fold, fold, MP+1 calls $0.15, Hero raises to $0.65

I think this hand was pretty straight forward, and I think the spot was good! Comments?

So to expand on what I started talking about in my last comment, how do different hands play when we get a caller (or multiple callers) after trying to squeeze? I personally would call a squeeze bet with a very premium set of hands (of course it depends on the 3bettor). Let's say a range of JJ+,KQs+, AJs+, AQo+. If we compare this range with KQo, we see that the hand has 27% equity against the range. Changing the hand to K2s actually results in a jump of about 2% to 29% equity! This actually surprised me quite a bit.

Thinking about reverse implied odds, hitting with a hand like KQo against a nutted range could be very bad for hero. However, hitting with a hand like K2s or A2s (which picks up another 2% equity), means either an easy fold, in the case of making a pair with the weak quicker, or potentially a profitable raise or jam using fold equity when hitting a draw to the nuts, (or the nuts themselves!).

Let me know what you guys think about my line of thinking here!

Cheers,
    Frank
  • The MuleThe Mule Red Chipper Posts: 781 ✭✭✭
    General question (ie. for the general public, not specifically the OP):
    Essentially a squeeze is just a 3-bet with one or more callers, right ? How should my squeeze range compare to my 3-bet range ? Can it be a little wider (both value and bluffs) due to the extra fold equity from the dynamics ? Are the qualities that make a good 3-bet hand the same that make a good squeeze hand, or do they differ ?
  • SplitSuitSplitSuit RCP Coach Posts: 4,010 -
    Much better squeeze in that second hand Frank!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file