Question about donk betting

KnampfKnampf Red Chipper Posts: 162 ✭✭
What is donk betting good for and when do you do it? I usually do it to defend blinds, even against the hijack, but how about donk betting against early and other middle positions?

Best Answers

• EazzyEazzy Red Chipper Posts: 970 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2016 Accepted Answer
    to me poker is all about info so I rarely donk bet preferring to keep the lead with the original raiser...

However exception occur....if the ordinal raiser tends to make very odd size bets...either to small all the time...and thus my check raise would look to strong...I will bet out......or in some cases tends to pot the flop, but not attack smaller bets I prefer to set the price and donk out...in both cases I don't expect to get info from the raiser by letting him keep the lead.

I also like to use it if the raiser attacks donk bets....bet small get him to do what he does raise it.

I also donk bet if the table dynamic...has me trappign a fish between an agressive raiser and me...her I bet hopping to get the fish to call and then hope to have the oringinal raiser raise me and the fish....If I check I would expect to fish to check and then the original raiser to bet If I raise I might loose the fish.......
  • JulesJules Red Chipper Posts: 440 ✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    SB donk bet against me in a tourney the other day. I had :Jc :Tc In HJ.
    Flop 9s9c10s there was 15k in the pot and she bet pot. I'm like huh? But I'm the pre flop raiser!! :( I gave her credit for the 9. But what she actually had was AJo. I was a little confused by her line against me. BB was all in so she knew hand was going to showdown. She won the hand with A high. UGGGG!! Later she said to me that I had been opening too many pots against her. So it was a good use of donk betting.

Answers

• 141520amanda141520amanda Red Chipper Posts: 6
    I check to the pre-raise like i have to. Now i see i shouldn't
  • SprinklePonySprinklePony Red Chipper Posts: 75
    @141520amanda checking is definitely the default line and a good one. There is certainly no problem that I can think of with never donk-betting, and it certainly is a weakness for many players that use it often. Check/raising or check/calling works much better, and are easier to balance, the majority of the time. But if you see a spot where it makes sense, then go for it =) I plan to put more thought into good spots to donk and how to balance it when it needs to be balanced, but as for now it's a player-specific play for me.
  • philby20philby20 Red Chipper Posts: 189 ✭✭
    I like donk betting if I flop like bottom set and player raised pre from early position and flop is a j 6 rainbow or something similar but has to be an agg type of villain
  • SprinklePonySprinklePony Red Chipper Posts: 75
    @phliby20, I can def see that making sense given that when they raise, it builds the pot just as check/raising would, but doesn't come off quite as strong, thus allowing them to re-take the initiative as a bluff as well as with a wider perceived value range because of more comfort than they would have vs a check/raise, and thus allows them to hang themselves. I also like that it makes getting stacks in the middle much easier then check/calling the flop and then check/calling or raising the turn.

What sizing do you use? What's your plan from there?

My concern would be that against an observant opponent, you wouldn't be able to pull this more than once or twice without polarizing or balancing your donks. This is a rare situation though.

I wonder if it might work out even better on a wet board, although I'm mainly thinking here about what range I personally would put you on if you donk/called on the flop. I find that it's often a draw, or sometimes a fish playing top pair in an odd way. Given that, without any info and it's a cash game, with air I'll usually bomb the turn after you flat the flop raise and the draws brick, in fact this is a spot where I've played around with overbetting as big as 2x the pot. I find this works better than pot or smaller since a lot of players that do this with a draw will chase unless really convinced it's a bad idea.

Actually, that depends on your sizing, if you led out for pot, I had air or a weak hand, and I had no info, I'd often fold since that is often times a strong hand, or at least a hand that isn't folding much. With top pair or better, then I may just flat and then look for a bet size tell on the turn, similar with a draw in that I'd flat if I was getting good IO, but also look for a sizing tell to go for a semi-bluff.
  • JulesJules Red Chipper Posts: 440 ✭✭✭
    I think it's a great tool! I would prefer to use it when I have some kind of equity or the nuts though!! For example as mentioned above if you flop a set or have some kind of draw. I didn't think her line with AJo was a good idea.... But she seemed to know her opponent (me) and it worked that time for her. I've donked out in the blinds with a suited one gapper and flopped flush/ open ended straight draw. Felt like that was a good spot donk. Does confuse pre flop agressor...
  • FilthyCasualFilthyCasual Red Chipper Posts: 871 ✭✭✭
    Some people, you have to do the betting for and can't rely on a cbet. It's more a player type that I donk bet into than a certain flop texture.
  • philby20philby20 Red Chipper Posts: 189 ✭✭
    Good question sprinklepony I didn't give my turn and river play much thought till you mentioned but I guess it would be player depended stack dependent and board texture like for example if it could look like I was on a draw and villain was a young lag type player I would donk small again hoping he would raise then I'd tank for a while and say ah f it and get the rest of my chips in givin stack sizes are right obviously on the other hand if villain was an old nit I would just lead turn and river for modest sizes say 75% thoughts?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file