Turn; :2d

SB check
Villain bets $45
Hero raises to $150
SB folds
Villain goes allin

pot $630 to call $210

Hero?

What hands does villain do this with that Hero beats?

Comments

• GabeyJGabeyJ Red Chipper Posts: 436 ✭✭✭
  • GabeyJGabeyJ Red Chipper Posts: 436 ✭✭✭
    He has no reason to think you aren't just raising with a good draw. Your hand is very under rept. Why not raise the flop?
  • persuadeopersuadeo Red Chipper Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The small bet/shove combination as a betting pattern would have me very worried but this is not a fold getting 3:1, in part for the above reasons from Gabey. There are all the two pairs available for him to protect. You have the ten of spades, unfortunately, so that takes away his pair + draw hands, but folding seems unprofitable giving him a reasonable range. Sounds like a cooler, unfortunately. If you change the read to OMC/True Nit, then it's probably different.
  • SicSemperSicSemper Red Chipper Posts: 112 ✭✭
    If you limit him to made hands and big pairs, AT+, JJ+ and KQ, you're ahead of that range 70-30. A little more if you throw in the A2/22 combos. Take out KK and QQ and you're still up 65-35.
  • BenLeewoodBenLeewood Red Chipper Posts: 285 ✭✭
    The way he has played this hand, AK or AQ makes a lot of sense. You haven't represented a strong holding until the turn raise. So he could (and should) think you have a flush draw with a gut shot straight draw. Maybe even a Ten to boot. his huge over bet shove makes sense if he thinks you have a hand like this. He thinks he's ahead but can be passed on the river. He just wants to take it down now.

If he has the made straight, you just have to pay him off. It's a cold deck situation that's unavoidable. If he's on the spades and hits....same thing. Jacks are a possibility but it sounds like you ruled those out. This is a must call in my opinion.

You played your pocket pair slow by not 3 betting on the button (3 bet is totally optional here in my opinion). Then you played your set slow by not reraising the flop. By playing it slow like this, wasn't the plan to disguise your set and try to get a lot of money out of them? He just put a lot of money in so if that was the plan....then mission accomplished.

To win BIG pots, without the stone cold nuts, you usually have to make very uncomfortable calls like this. If you weren't willing to call a shove reraise, you should have flatted again on the turn. See what the river brought and reassessed.

Also....by playing this slow, you've complicated things for the Villian and yourself. He may just be thinking you are trying to steal. You said he has called people's bluffs down already. Maybe he thinks your bluffing and if you just have a naked Ace or a draw, you'll lay down a better hand for such a big bet.

Did I mention, you should call? Can't wait to hear the results.
  • ShayneShayne Red Chipper Posts: 19 ✭✭
    Agree. It's pretty ungrateful to set a nice trap then not trip the snare when your victim sticks his head in. Call and make someone's day. Probably yours more often than his.
  • philby20philby20 Red Chipper Posts: 189 ✭✭
    I don't think I could fold a set with such shallow stacks and I don't think I ever will I think in online games I'll loose more often then I'll win but in life I'll happily get it in because he could have a ton of hands you beat and if he has a straight your not far behind. Set over set your just meant to loose the possible straight there adds a little in your favour to fold but I'd have to have a super good read and be on my absolute a game to make the fold with stacks that size. Interested to hear results
  • SullySully Red Chipper Posts: 780 ✭✭✭
    I thought for about 10 seconds and called.
    river bricked
    Villain turned over :Kd:Qd for straight

Probably should have 3 bet

I always3 bet this hand at 100BB but tend to choose others besides pocket pairs vs larger stacks and this hand gets 3 bet about 50%

I would have preferred 2 broadways on the flop, not three. If money is going in here I can be in some trouble. But that is definitely what I'm aiming for

I normally raise flop here because if I'm going to get stacks in I need to get going, especially without the 3 bet. I flatted the flop because the SB had CR like 4 times with draws, was very loose in general and I was hoping he might shove or raise allowing me to squeeze villain

I was very surprised by villain's jam. i actually thought I had played my hand face up and it was obvious I had a big hand, bigger than one pair. I personally did not think villain would jam with pairs, draws, AK, or AQ. If villain had AJ in his shoving range, then it was probably go time. Because if that's not there and he's only doing this with AA, JJ, KQ I should probably fold.

I put a fair amount of thought into this hand at each stage. Villain flopped nuts vs a set and stacked someone. Pretty easy game. :)

• Patrick LawlerPatrick Lawler Red Chipper Posts: 108 ✭✭
    SicSemper wrote: »
    If you limit him to made hands and big pairs, AT+, JJ+ and KQ, you're ahead of that range 70-30. A little more if you throw in the A2/22 combos. Take out KK and QQ and you're still up 65-35.

When after knowing the result, with equity like this you just can't fold... your 70% against the top 8% of his range, massive
  • BenLeewoodBenLeewood Red Chipper Posts: 285 ✭✭
    Poker is an evil mistress sometimes. Chalk it up to that. Nobody here would not get stacked on that hand. Nobody!!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file