Line Check Against Deepstacked Reg

Patrick LawlerPatrick Lawler Red Chipper Posts: 108 ✭✭
Hi People,

Your thoughts on the line i took on this hand please?

Playing £1/£1 in a London card room and a young reg moves over to our table with a £700 stack (max buy-in £150) and proceeded to start throwing his weight, and chips, around as soon as he sat down.

He's been bullying the table for about 20mins before this hand:

I'm on the button with :Kc:Jc (stack around £250)
Two limpers to me (including the young reg in UTG) and I make it £6, blinds fold and UTG makes it £26. I call

:6c:8c:2d

UTG Cbets £35, I call. I think my flush draw and two overs to this board is good enough to continue with. I cant see that this has hit is range well

:Th

UTG checks and I check behind for pot control. I considered semi-bluffing the turn but thought it was well within the villains ability to get out of line with any two and decided I just didn't know what I would do if he check raises.

:Kc

Villain checks again. I feel that the Villain has showed so much weakness now that he is polarised to either trying to trap me with a set or he has absolutely nothing/missed draw, it goes against all the other lines I have seen since he sat down. I bet £52 and after a lot of talk he crying calls and mucks when I show the King.

Did I miss value with the turn check? if he has enough to call the river bet then he surely would have called the turn AND what do i do if he check raises the river? Is the rivered top pair good enough to play for stacks here?

Comments

• SplitSuitSplitSuit RCP Coach Posts: 4,070 -
    How do you think he responds if you raise the flop?
    📑 Grab my custom poker spreadsheet pack right now.
    📘 Start the Preflop & Math Poker Workbook today.
  • Jimmy3150Jimmy3150 Red Chipper Posts: 362 ✭✭
    I really don't think anyone should be playing 1-1 in London, the rake is higher than 1-2 and it tends to play almost identical to 1-2 in terms of bet sizing pre and post flop which can just be confusing.

I think you played the hand pretty well honestly, a reg who limp re-raises is trying to rep aces or kings, but he probably had a pocket pair like 77 or 99 and just gave up on the turn ... he is never going to payoff a river jam as the King smashes your range. You're being v optimistic if you think you can get 3 streets of value with this hand.
  • persuadeopersuadeo Red Chipper Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really wonder if this is the hand to defend against a l/r.
  • jeffncjeffnc Red Chipper Posts: 5,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No one mentioned the double :kc, so I assume we're all assuming it was some other king.

Honestly I've bluffed as villain here with T9s with the limp reraise repping AA/KK, but then again I actually have it almost every time I l/r. So for me I just fold preflop. Why does a table captain limp in with a hand UTG?
  • FilthyCasualFilthyCasual Red Chipper Posts: 871 ✭✭✭
    Did I miss value with the turn check? if he has enough to call the river bet then he surely would have called the turn AND what do i do if he check raises the river? Is the rivered top pair good enough to play for stacks here?
    Can't really be missing value if the bet would have been a bluff on the turn. I see nothing wrong with 2 streets of value for top pair against a good portion of the players I run into at $1-2, assumingly the same as 1-1. Playing for stacks with TP seems like a horrible idea (in general) with 250 BBs deep. This board isn't too threatening, and still their isn't a worse hand that you would expect to get in in against. You're getting a good price, but man, you barely have a bluff catcher if you are CR on the river and you have some of the higher FD blockers that limit the FDs villain could have that bricked out. AXs depending on where you want to draw the line, Q10 / Q9, 10-9... i mean... the combos are pretty scarce

Think it's safe to say that it was not the Kc on the river
    jeffnc wrote: »
    No one mentioned the double :kc, so I assume we're all assuming it was some other king.
    Is the rivered top pair good enough to play for stacks here?
  • Patrick LawlerPatrick Lawler Red Chipper Posts: 108 ✭✭
    Thanks for all the responses people... yes the river is a typo, doesn't really effect anything but its was :Kh
    SplitSuit wrote: »
    How do you think he responds if you raise the flop?

Erm... interesting question, at the time all i had seen was the guy bullying people in every position. This goes towards my decision to defend against the l/r (to answer some other questions above) and it also gave me the fear of getting too out of line with semi-bluff raises. I feel that he was well capable of shoving over the top to force me to fold anything but strong made hands.
    Jimmy3150 wrote: »
    I really don't think anyone should be playing 1-1 in London, the rake is higher than 1-2 and it tends to play almost identical to 1-2 in terms of bet sizing pre and post flop which can just be confusing.

I completely understand what you're saying and im working on moving up to £1/£2 ASAP. But, at the moment I'm barely rolled for £1/£1 so two bad sessions at £1/£2 would clear me out.
    Playing for stacks with TP seems like a horrible idea (in general) with 250 BBs deep. This board isn't too threatening, and still their isn't a worse hand that you would expect to get in in against. You're getting a good price, but man, you barely have a bluff catcher if you are CR on the river and you have some of the higher FD blockers that limit the FDs villain could have that bricked out. AXs depending on where you want to draw the line, Q10 / Q9, 10-9... i mean... the combos are pretty scarce

Thanks for this comment this has really focused the situation for me. When you look at his possible CR range on the river im pretty crushed and it would have to be a fold.
  • MichaelStoneMichaelStone Red Chipper Posts: 3
    I wouldn't have played that at all - this guy would probably just bluff you out on the following streets. UTG limp could also mean a stronger pair trying to trap you, otherwise he would have raised you. But obviously, he wasn't a very good player, just a young agressive one.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file