Tournament Shoving Range

sparkyAAsparkyAA Red Chipper Posts: 160 ✭✭
$600 Tournament, 74 people left, well into the money, no significant pay jump until 46

4k/8k blinds with a 1k ante
8 handed, so pot is 20k
Folded to hero on the button
SB has been playing snug, BB is weak and capable of making dumb calls but has not gotten too out of line in bigger pots

What is your shoving range?

Comments

• GabeyJGabeyJ Red Chipper Posts: 436 ✭✭✭
    How many bb do you have? Have you looked at Nash push call chart for under 20bb play
  • sparkyAAsparkyAA Red Chipper Posts: 160 ✭✭
    whoops i wrote that deleted it then was supposed to rewrite it. 76k starting stack
    everyone has me covered, average is around 300k
  • GabeyJGabeyJ Red Chipper Posts: 436 ✭✭✭
    I would suggest studying the Nash push call charts. That is what pretty much all tournament players stick to religiously for shoving and calling decisions
  • GazelligGazellig RCP Coach Posts: 74 ✭✭
    You can shove (45.4%) 22+,A2+,K2s+,K5o+,Q4s+,Q9o+,J6s+,J9o+,T6s+,T9o,96s+,98o,85s+,75s+,65s,54s according to Nash, but you can probably shove wider than that given that your opponents in the blinds are probably calling much tighter than Nash would suggest.
    Glad to know my 95s shove was +ev haha my feeling about the 2 is that they arent calling with less than 22+ K10s+ QJo + and any A, so basically 25% of hands (max, i don't think sb is playing more than 20% with one behind). My hand is going to have about 35% equity against the range, give or take a few % points. interesting spot though for sure. BB showed up with KQ and paired his K. he thought for a little longer than i expected him to, which makes me think that maybe he wouldnt be calling with a hand like QJ/22 in this spot
  • philby20philby20 Red Chipper Posts: 189 ✭✭
    similar situation but what about if you are in the bb and are calling the shove from the button for your tournament life sb folds what is the weakest hand you can call with and whats your range consist of. I have called a few times recently and was a 60-40 favourite but lost and not sure if being slightly plus ev is enough when your life is on the line
    edited March 2016
    ^ good comment/question. For me, that is determined by how many BBs i have. obviously if we are still pretty deep it is a much tougher call. It also has to do with the Button and SB stacks. if both are deep, i respect it a lot more. if SB is also short, and i am 10BB, i am probably going with K10+ and any pocket, depending on pay structure and all the other jazz that comes with tourneys
  • philby20philby20 Red Chipper Posts: 189 ✭✭
    yes there definately is a lot of variables to consider im not really a huge fan of calling with the small pocket pairs i know im probably +ev slightly by calling but your life is on the line for a coin flip were u could wait for a better spot and get it in with some fold equity but it all comes back to how many bbs you have left when they put you all in.
    I know theres shove charts that people work off when jamming, is there call charts also

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file