New Poster looking for opinions...

bill_sabrebill_sabre Red Chipper Posts: 9 ✭✭
I have a 50 BB stack after the first break in the first tourney I've played in forever. There is now a 1/8 BB ante, and there are 8 players at the table. First hand back I'm dealt :Ks:Kd on the button. MP1 (100BB) makes it 2.5x to go and two players call before I squeeze out the kings; a borderline nit (~100BB) and a p-fish in the cut-off (40BB).

I'm looking for some lines here. After a day or two I'll give you my decision and the flop. I'm interested in seeing how people would treat this hand.

Comments

• black_mage1985black_mage1985 Red Chipper Posts: 19
    First of all, welcome to the community!

I like the way you have posted this situation. You have distilled all of the unimportant stuff out and left only the relevant details.

So my understanding is that when the action reaches you, there are 10BB in the pot. My first instinct is to come in for a big squeeze to 12 or 13 bbs to try and isolate the p-fish for yourself. This will create a pot of somewhere between 33 and 34bbs with an SPR of less than 1, so you can then be happy to jam any flop that doesn't have an ace on it. Your postflop line won't be as important if you are able to force a huge mistake preflop.
  • AustinAustin Red Chipper Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All in and balance your range with like TT+ AQ+ and much wider if villain 1 is raising wide enough range from mp. You have a fish with 40bb left and might give you action with 77+ and A10+.
  • dirty moosedirty moose Red Chipper Posts: 482 ✭✭✭
    Make a standard 3 bet to about 10 to 15 BB.
    I don't think moving all in is good here, they not for sure sure won't call you without aces, we can be pretty sure he doesn't have them.
    The fish Prolly calls a jam with JJ+ and AK. So of he 4 bets, you can actually consider folding.

And for the balance part, it's live poker, most of the time, no one is paying enough attention. I wouldn't worry about that, unless it's a high roller event.

I'm on my phone, please excuse any typos or brevity.
  • SplitSuitSplitSuit RCP Coach Posts: 4,070 -
    edited March 2016
    Welcome to the forum Bill!

I'd go to 11bb here.

I'm guessing you went to roughly this size, the P-fish called, and the board was Axx?
    📑 Grab my custom poker spreadsheet pack right now.
    📘 Start the Preflop & Math Poker Workbook today.
  • bill_sabrebill_sabre Red Chipper Posts: 9 ✭✭
    Thanks for the responses, folks. I decided 12.5 BB was the number for me, and Villain 1 tanked and called, Nit folded, and P-Fish called. 3-way to the flop; 9-3-4 rainbow.

It went check-check to me on the button. Now what?
  • Doug HullDoug Hull RCP Coach Posts: 1,875 -
    About 40BB in the pot and eff of 30BB or 40BB

Bet as much as you think they will call. Get it in by the river, never fold.
    Co-founder Red Chip Poker,
    Author Poker Plays You Can Use
    Author Poker Workbook for Math Geeks
  • SplitSuitSplitSuit RCP Coach Posts: 4,070 -
    bill_sabre wrote: »
    Thanks for the responses, folks. I decided 12.5 BB was the number for me, and Villain 1 tanked and called, Nit folded, and P-Fish called. 3-way to the flop; 9-3-4 rainbow.

It went check-check to me on the button. Now what?

Never folding. Bet 18bb and go from there (unless you think they stack any pair now because you rep AK, in which case just punch it in here)
    📑 Grab my custom poker spreadsheet pack right now.
    📘 Start the Preflop & Math Poker Workbook today.
  • AustinAustin Red Chipper Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Curious if he is a fish why are we assuming his calling range is JJ+ and AK+? Doesn't sound fishy with that range.

Are we only 3 betting monsters here or are we going wider? AQ+ TT+ are you flatting this range vs 2.5x open? If we are 3 betting TT+ AQ+ how are we responding to that same 9 x x board after putting in 1\4 of our stack?

• bill_sabrebill_sabre Red Chipper Posts: 9 ✭✭
    I decided to stuff it, but not because I thought I'd get called, mostly because I wanted the pot. I figured anything that called had me dead to a K, but if they out-flopped me that bad, whatever. Villain 1 folded, P-fish called (of course). P-fish showed up A5o and caught his two, but thems the breaks.
  • BenLeewoodBenLeewood Red Chipper Posts: 285 ✭✭
    This is the kind of player you want to play with. With solid play, you'll come out on top way more often then not. Your shove was a little premature in my opinion. You're usually only going to get called by a set or AA.

Just remember that it's players like this that keep the game profitable for solid players like us. Sucks when we're on the losing end but the donks have to win sometime or they'd never come back.

Welcome to the forum

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file