Giving Check Raise Credit? Image play

AustinAustin Red Chipper Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭✭✭
History with villain: I am viewed as a really tight reg over multiple sessions against this him. Asian guy in his 30s. He is trying to learn the game, but doesn't understand good equity spots or what overplaying your hand is. He will check raise A4 on the turn vs a pot committed player on AK5 turn Q. He commented on this hand as he will check raise both top and bottom of his range. I really dont think he understands what that means or how stack sizes come into play and when players are committed. Anyways onto the hand.

After watching Split's recent video on check raising I was encouraged to post this hand.

Rather loose $1/$2/$2 game, but some how it managed to fold to me on the BU.

Hero BU :Kc:Qd : Raise to $10 (doesn't matter what i hold here)
Villain SB: Calls $10
BB: Calls $10

flop ($30) :5h:5d:7s
SB: check / Raise ($45) / $123 to call
BB: Check
Hero: bets ($18)/All in ($168)

It only took me a few seconds to move in here as JJ+ would likely 3bet me pre. 77 would flat flop. 54s, 56s, A5s, are only real 5 hands in his range. He also has a pretty major tell which is announcing his raise size or talking during the hand. This villain is pretty quiet when he is bluffing or has a super strong hand. When he is talking I always found him to have a medium strength hand.

What hands would he check raise with and what hands will he continue with?

Check raise: 64s, 86s, 89? maybe, and a ton of 7x (78s, 76s, 97s, A7), 88, 99, 66), 54s, 56s, A5s
Continue: 54s, 56s, A5s

Risking $150 to win $93 ($30 flop, $45 villain, and $18 from me).

Thoughts?

Comments

• AustinAustin Red Chipper Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭✭✭
    forgot to include villain announced ($45) which led me to believe he held one of his weaker hands.
    Also please let me know how you like my formatting. Similar to Doug's book (plays you can use). Not sure if its easier to use this format or making a complete list of actions is better.
  • Ranceg29Ranceg29 Red Chipper Posts: 145 ✭✭
    Heres my thought. You believe that you have a reliable tell that villain is holding a medium strength hand. Whats your read on whether or not he will fold a medium strength hand in this spot? I think he'll be getting 2 to 1 and by your description of him its seems like he might like to get a little sticky here. I dont mind the shove if the situation is just right but this one feels more like a fold/wait for a better spot.

I like the complete list better as opposed to this way. Took me a few seconds to figure out what was going on.
  • JesseJesse Red Chipper Posts: 134 ✭✭
    I think your formatting is slightly confusing.

Better would be:
    SB check, BB check, hero bets $18
    SB c/r to $45, BB folds, hero ships $168
    SB calls.

This way you see all the action from SB-> button, and the next line you see what everyone's 2nd round action was.
  • GabeyJGabeyJ Red Chipper Posts: 436 ✭✭✭
    I feel like you should only really do this if villain folds to pressure but it seems he might be willing to call with hands towards the bottom of his range. Which would lead me to believe this play is a bit spewy. Have you ever seen him c/r air?
  • DocRueDocRue Red Chipper Posts: 30 ✭✭
    Very rarely is a player in a 1-2 game c/r bluffing. I don't see him folding anything that beats your hand. You could only hope that he has 6 8 right here and even then he has 14 outs twice, which seems to be plenty of pot odds to call.

I would call the 40 and normally if they are on a draw he will check the turn, and then I would ship it. If he bets the turn I give him credit for a 5 or an over pair like 88 or 99 which I have seen many times on action like this. let us know what happen, because I am going out on a limb and saying he calls.

+1 for waiting for a better spot.
    He thought about it forever and my image came into play here as well as past history with villain where i always seem to have a strong hand. Throughout the night I was super card dead. Not getting SCs or PP really let a lone strong hands, so villain has just seen me folding for a few hours.

Someone almost called time on him for taking so long and I was going to say "dont kill my action" to try to ensure villain I had a strong hand.

After about 2 minutes he flipped his hand up on the table 9s9c and waited for a reaction from me. He was top of his range I felt and once he did that figured he was calling and i was 25%, another 2 minutes or so went bye and he mucked his hand.

Conversation started as table tried to figure out what I had. Some people said 5, others said pocket 7s (never shoving 77 here with position). Villain said, "you have been waiting all night for this spot. You can have my $45."

I am unlikely to try this against the villain again as he is a little sticky, but I thought with only 1\4th of the chips in i had enough fold equity. Never try this with $100 stack.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file