Big hand OOP vs "face up" AIR. River play? 1-2 NL

Ranceg29Ranceg29 Red Chipper Posts: 145 ✭✭
I guess this is a fairly common spot that I wanted to get peoples ideas on in general. I have a hand that I played yesterday to include as an example.

My main question is what do you tend to do in spots where your heads up oop on the riv, have a clear value hand but are fairly certain your opponent has nothing and will not bluff at it.

Heres my example hand from yesterday.

Theres a very straightforward player at my table who is imo bad and fundamentally unsound. Ive prolly logged less than 10 hours with him in the last month but havent really played many significant hands against him so we dont have much history besides the fact that I watch the hands he plays and have an EXTREMELY good idea of his strategy. (he willingly shows a lot of his hands after pots he plays)

Hes sizes his preflop raises according to hand strength and doesnt consider how many limpers there are. Then he 100% of the time puts out a pot size cbet. If he gets called he continues on the turn if he has a piece and his bet sizing will reflect his hand strength but if he has no piece he will shut down.

Hero $300 utg limps :3h:3d
folds to villain who raises to $12
Hero calls

My read on his $12 is broadway hands mostly. He raises bigger with PPs

Pot $27
flop :3c:8s:9d

hero check
villain bets $25 as expected
hero calls

Pot $77
turn :4s

hero checks
vill checks (now im almost sure he has broadways)

river: :5h

Whats my play here? I dont think he will call a bet. I dont think he really bluffs rivs. Is there any merit to betting a smallish amount just so he doesnt see my cards. Or maybe I just bet something like $5-$10 that he might look up. Or maybe i just check hoping he bluffs but I think he only does this like 10% of the time.

Thoughts?

Comments

• DanieleDeRossiDanieleDeRossi Red Chipper Posts: 26 ✭✭
    I think your best play would be fold UTG 33.
    Since you have limped, faced a raise from this player and everybody else folds, you should consider fold too vs set mining given the fact you don't have much of implied odds OOP vs this opponent given your reads.
  • Ranceg29Ranceg29 Red Chipper Posts: 145 ✭✭
    I wasnt planning on only continuing if i hit a set. Just asking about the river.
  • philby20philby20 Red Chipper Posts: 189 ✭✭
    I'd bet an amount that looks suspicious and gives villain the possible thought of being able to raise you of the hand but in this particular situation doesn't sound like villain will do that but $30 or 35 might get looked up by ace high sometimes
  • sparkyAAsparkyAA Red Chipper Posts: 160 ✭✭
    ^ could work. Another idea is betting something close to pot. needs to work half as often and will get looked up by A8 type hands and sometimes hands like AK trying to be a hero. Finding the peak of his threshold in a hand you feel you probably know what he has can be very valuable information later on
  • WuBerryWuBerry Red Chipper Posts: 10 ✭✭
    Since there seems to be no value in checking, ur only option is to bet. Take a small stab like $20 n maybe he thinks ur trying to buy it cheap. Who knows he may call or even raise if he feels ur bluffing. U have a value hand so try n extract value , at worst he folds n u don't have to show ur cards.
  • Ranceg29Ranceg29 Red Chipper Posts: 145 ✭✭
    right. as played I bet $35 on riv and he folded KQ face up.
  • AustinAustin Red Chipper Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Would you make the same play with JT? He could be very aware you limp pockets and pot controling something like TT or JJ some of the time. I think any bet size is good here if you know he is not bluffing at it. If say Q-A hit the river though I would give him a chance to value bet or bluff at it and then come in for a large raise. There was a video on this line not too long ago.
    Check \ call \ flop
    Check \ check turn
    Check \ bet \ all in!!! River

Unfortunately river is bad bluff card so any sizing works really. Also if your read is that he has broadways when he bets $12 you should be applying some pressure and make small check raises on low cordinated boards. T67, 985, 457, etc etc. He is basically giving you dead money if he has a bet sizing tell.
  • GabeyJGabeyJ Red Chipper Posts: 436 ✭✭✭
    Limping with 33 UTG is pretty bad as played I would prob lead turn to balance for when you are bluffing on a board that misses him pretty hard

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file