Event #11 at the CPC AK up versus AA hero fold??

Danny GreenwaldDanny Greenwald Red Chipper Posts: 1
Hello Redchip Community,

This is my first post! I look forward to the replies.

I sent this to SplitSuit, let me know what lines I could have taken instead or just what you think of the spot in general.

"I hope you are still reviewing hand histories because I have a doozy that I think I could have made the best hero fold of my poker career on.

This was level 1 in a $250 $75,000 added MTT tournament (Event #11 of the Chicago Poker Classic). Since this was live I don't have a perfect history so I will be describing from memory:

I acted in middle position with AKo and raised to about 2.3BB (120 chips, blinds 25/50). Older guy (usually tighter) Villain two seats behind reraised to about 8BB (450 chips) and everyone else folds. I call.

Flop comes AKx rainbow. I check, villain bets about 1/2 pot (I think it was 450). I check raise to about 1500 chips (10,000 starting stacks). He goes all in. I snap called.

After thinking about it, I don't know how he has anything but a set and maybe AK once he goes all in. With my tournament life on the line it could have been a great fold, but I just didn't even think about it because I basically flopped the nuts.. He turned over AA and I was drawing dead on the turn.

I suppose he could have had AQ (doubtful) or two pair Ax but I really think I could have possibly made the fold. It would have been super hard to never know what he had too!

Thanks so much for reading and I love your videos and your work!

Thanks,
Daniel"

Here is the hand history from TheHandConverter.com:

Full Tilt Poker Game #123456789: Table Live_Pokah - $25/$50 - No Limit Holdem - 1:00:00 ET - 2001/01/01
Seat 1: Seat 1 ($10000)
Seat 2: Seat 2 ($10000)
Seat 3: Seat 3 ($10000)
Seat 4: Seat 4 ($10000)
Seat 5: Hero ($10000)
Seat 6: Seat 6 ($10000)
Seat 7: Seat 7 ($10000)
Seat 8: Seat 8 ($10000)
Seat 9: Seat 9 ($10000)
Seat 1 posts the small blind of $25
Seat 2 posts the big blind of $50
The button is in seat #9
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Hero [Ac Kd]
Seat 3 folds
Seat 4 folds
Hero raises to $120
Seat 6 raises to $450
Seat 7 folds
Seat 8 folds
Seat 9 folds
Seat 1 folds
Seat 2 folds
Hero calls $330
*** FLOP *** [As Kc 8h]
Hero checks
Seat 6 bets $650
Hero raises to $2200
Seat 6 raises to $9670
Hero calls $7470
*** TURN *** [As Kc 8h] [7h]
Hero checks
Seat 6 checks
*** RIVER *** [As Kc 8h 7h] [2c]
Hero checks
Seat 6 checks
Hero shows [Ac Kd]
Seat 6 shows [Ah Ad]
Seat 6 wins the pot ($20150)

Comments

• sparkyAAsparkyAA Red Chipper Posts: 160 ✭✭
    This post is a little cooler than most

2 combinations of AA KK, 3 of 88 for a total of 5 combinations
    2 combinations left of AK

As Heroic/Crazy as this sounds, I think you can narrow his range down to these 7 combinations given his action. Meaning you are either chopping or a huge dog

Even with this being considered, still super tough fold given you hit Jinn. If I think for a second the guy could take this line with a bare ace or A8 I'm in there like swimwear

As far as alternate lines, this was played fine (although your original raise could have been made to 125 instead of the mythical 120 since I don't think you had 20, 10 or 5 chip denominations!) Worse hands can call your reraise on the flop, although maybe flatting would be better to keep the opponent's entire range in
  • FilthyCasualFilthyCasual Red Chipper Posts: 871 ✭✭✭
    I don't think many villains are doing this light on level one of a torunament, even rebuy tourneys . They don't have (m)any semi bluffs, rainbow board so no FDs, and a gutshot at best? If we were more in the peeing contest days around 2007, maybe, but I don't think enough players are in that mindset today where Ak is ahead
  • SullySully Red Chipper Posts: 780 ✭✭✭
    Preflop I almost never call a bet with AK, AQ or AJ. I bet or fold.

AK is almost 100% in my 4 bet range. I play live, maybe that's different.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file