mdw72mdw72 Red Chipper Posts: 135 ✭✭
edited January 2017 in Live Poker Hands
Hardrock Hollywood
$2-$5; full table
$600 effective stack (Hero covers)
Villian UTG+2;
Spaniard fish UTG+3
Hero SB;
The Spaniard fish was the tables target as a whole. He was dealt a playable hand every hand and was willing to call you down and look you up with Ace or King high on almost any board. He got into his pocket at this point at least 3 times for $500. I had yet to really get a big piece of him unlike my other table mates. In two hands I was up against him he stumbled across the "fold button" and folded to my turn bets.

Villain was fairly new to the table. He was a younger guy but not a grinder. He had been at the table for about 30 minutes and had won a couple of small pots with TPTK. I assessed him as a weak tight player. The rest of the table was mostly TAGs and one “pro” who is pretty good and he was UTG.

My initial plan was, if the pro folded and depending on how many TAGs entered the pot, I was going to either 3bet or raise almost any two cards. My magic number was two. Anymore than that in the pot I was going to fold everything but the top end of my range.

My hope was to either take it down preflop or isolate the Spaniard. I know I was OOP but I was confident that I could out play him post flop and get away from a hand if he became aggressive.

UTG pro folded; Villian raised it up to $20; Spaniard called and it was folded to Hero

Hero has :Ah :5h and 3bets to $70;
Villain and Spaniard call; pot $215

I was surprised and not too happy by Villains call and began to formulate a plan to deal with the situation. Since he didn’t come back at me I discounted Aces, Kings, AK and Queens.

My plan was to fire off a bet on the flop on almost all boards. Flush and broadway straight draw boards were ones I would check.

Flop :2d :4s :9c

This is obviously a good flop for me.

Both of them probably missed this flop. The Spaniard may have hit in some way but I’m more concerned with Villain. I am now putting Villain on AQ, weak suited Aces, broadway cards, and 88, TT, JJ, and possibly QQ. I bet out $120.

I did this with the thought, if Villain raised it would be an over pair probably TT or JJ. If he just calls I am really discounting all pairs. If the Spaniard calls I shut it down.

Villain calls;
Spaniard folds; pot $ 455

Turn :8h
Hero bets $275; Villain folds

My read at this point is Villain has a weak Ace or overs and wanted to see if he could spike his card on the turn. Villain tanks for about 3 minutes. At this point I think I convinced he thought he was up against Aces, Kings, or a stronger Ace and he mucks it.

Most posts in the forums are about mistakes made that resulted in lost pots, a bluff gone bad, or some kind of bad beat. I wanted to post my successful bluff because I want to know if you think I was running a bad bluff and got lucky. Or was my thinking flawed? Where could I have done better? I feel my bet sizes might have been off one way or the other and could have been the thing that unraveled it. I got the result I wanted but I want to know if my thought process was good.
Tagged:

Comments

• Doug HullDoug Hull RCP Coach Posts: 1,757 -
    [video]
    TLDW: Raw aggression can work. More concerned about some of the other comments you made: Don't plan raising ATC from SB, Villain does have pairs on the turn, flush draw boards do get bet on flop. Congrats.
    Co-founder Red Chip Poker,
    Author Poker Plays You Can Use
    Author Poker Workbook for Math Geeks
  • evpropevprop Red Chipper Posts: 62 ✭✭
    Awesome little video with a lot of different thought processes for people to think about!!

I think my biggest take from this was if we want to really put some aggression on and go for a nice squeeze spot then punch up the raise size more preflop BUT when this situation happens with 2 callers.... its time to accept our play hasnt worked and not compound the now bad spot worse by pumping more chips in the pot.

Thats my feeling.. perhaps others may view the aggression as always being the better vs giving up here but this short video will stay with me the next time my squeeze goes "awkward"
  • Doug HullDoug Hull RCP Coach Posts: 1,757 -
    evprop wrote:
    Thats my feeling.. perhaps others may view the aggression as always being the better vs giving up here but this short video will stay with me the next time my squeeze goes "awkward"

Thank you. This video took me a lot longer than normal to put together, so I am glad you appreciated it.

When Soto finds this post, I am curious how the more aggressive side of the house reacts.
    Co-founder Red Chip Poker,
    Author Poker Plays You Can Use
    Author Poker Workbook for Math Geeks
  • SadTrombonesSadTrombones Red Chipper Posts: 9
    a couple of thoughts...

Once you are in the spot you are in, there's a lot of money to win with an overcard and a gutter. It's worth trying to win.

Your bet sizes are a little awkward given the pot size and the stacks remaining. If your continuing on the turn and effective stacks are 600, you should probably just send it in and maximize fold equity.

Bloating pots pre against guys that aren't big folders leaves you in some really weird spots. It can be a little frustrating to not be in pots with those guys, but you really have to make a hand against these sorts of people and then value bet pretty thinly. You'll be able to bloat the pot at your leisure when you make a hand. Giant pots pre allows him to play more correctly when he has flop equity.

The spaniard changes the dynamics for everyone. Squeezing isn't as effective when you will often draw in the original raiser who is generally going to be ahead of a5 in that spot.

Your half pot bet us begging him to ship over you if he has any legit equity. Not everyone is going to pull the trigger there, but some will for sure.
  • Christian SotoChristian Soto RCP Coach Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭✭
    Doug Hull wrote:
    evprop wrote:

Thank you. This video took me a lot longer than normal to put together, so I am glad you appreciated it.

When Soto finds this post, I am curious how the more aggressive side of the house reacts.

Well I found the post.
    :-)

This is thin. I actually dislike the 3bet squeeze here. We can count on the Spaniard player to call us in POS, especially for $70. I'm not excited about that.

On the Flop, if there was one Heart I think I may go for the CheckRaise- Commit. You can balance it out with CR'ing QQ/KK there sometimes. It'll be really tough for 88-TT to call. Even JJ is put in a tough spot.
    But again the Spanish player isn't one who loves folding so proceed at your own risk.

On this board, with this action, I think it's a one and done situation unless specifically a King comes on Turn.

Cool spot in general but be careful and keep your awareness high on your opponents propesities and how that affects the playability of your hand.

I think we can call preflop profitably enough that I rather take that route in this spot.
  • mdw72mdw72 Red Chipper Posts: 135 ✭✭
    Thanks for the beatings...oops I mean feedback. Seriously I really do appreciate it! Especially from you Doug! Putting in video responses is great and knowing that this one took longer than normal makes me appreciate it all the more. Thank you very much. I have some good thoughts from everyone to take back evaluate and ingest into my approach to the game.

This is not a normal bluff I run. I tend to bluff a lot more in position than OOP. That is why I posted it because its a play I don't employ frequently. Again thanks for the beating :)
  • ChipTraderChipTrader Red Chipper Posts: 178
    wait ! what ?

Your "plan" was to iso the Loose Passive guy and bluff him off "any two" cards your dealt?

Did I mis understand that ?

To get him off any hand is going to require huge over bets and even then good luck to you if he was as spewy as your making him out to be. = Zero fold equity so your not outplaying anyone lol

Also I highly recommend you don't racial profile at the poker table its stupid except the French we all agree about the the French lol

Joke
  • billconklinbillconklin Red Chipper Posts: 102 ✭✭
    Interesting and helpful posts in a situation where Hero could have gotten himself into serious trouble, but dodged a bullet. All the posts were great, and I loved the idea of using video this way.

Hero fired two barrels, both with very little "equity if called," in a situation against a call station. "Muy dangeroso" as the Spaniard himself might have put it.

Hero's use of the term "beating," even if he attempted to soften it with an "LOL" says he may not grasp that he was being offered very solid advice by people who were trying to help him, not pick on him.

Soto's comments, as always seem to be, were right on the button, as were Doug's.

Finally the term "Spaniard" is not racial profiling, as the Spanish are not a race, they are Europeans (also not a "race."). It was merely a way to distinguish him, and in an inoffensive way, IMO, as he probably had identified himself as being from Spain. In a society all ready suffering from an excess of PC, do we really need it on a poker forum?
    BC
  • Eager StudentEager Student Red Chipper Posts: 66
    Hi mdw72,

I am not a fan of 3betting any two cards if the pro folds. When a player raises in early position it suggests a strong range to me. I like 3betting with KK+ and a single set of a suited ace. Ah5h (four combos only) is fine, but I wouldn't chose all the suited aces in this spot because his early position raise suggests a strong range.

You got a great flop. In position after limpers I would plan to triple barrel this flop with my entire raising range because it is so hard for anyone to make a hand they want to play for a big pot. Out of position against a probable strong range isn't part of my plan. Attack weakness, avoid strength.

Glad you go the fold you needed. Happy for you!

Eager Student

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file