Raise this donk??

SullySully Red Chipper Posts: 780 ✭✭✭
1-2 live - $170 effective

Villain- older, 2-5 reg. Hero hasn't played vs villain much, looks fairly straightforward, does like to see flops

Villain UTG+2 opens for $7
Hero MP- raises to $30 with :Jd:Js
Folds around
Villain calls- I thought 88-QQ, AJ+, KQ, Axs maybe, suited connector maybe
pot $63

Flop; :Ad:7d:3d

Villain donks $20

Hero?? raise, fold, call?

Thoughts on villain calling range and donking range appreciated

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Skors3Skors3 Red Chipper Posts: 669 ✭✭✭
    $20 into $63...I'm raising him here. If he's straightforward than he's trying to see if you have a :Xd. Or are scared of them.
  • GabeyJGabeyJ Red Chipper Posts: 436 ✭✭✭
    So your raise would basically be putting him all in. If you think he is willing to fold a strong A on that flop then go for it. But I feel you aren't really deep enough to try and get tricky
  • Ranceg29Ranceg29 Red Chipper Posts: 145 ✭✭
    Without any specific reads im guessing the range of hands that calls a raise includes only hands that have us beat and a few possible nut flush draws. IMO our hand is too strong to fold. Just call and play poker on the turn.
  • philby20philby20 Red Chipper Posts: 189 ✭✭
    i agree with Ranceg29 i would just flat and see how he behaves on the turn, we have position and a mediocer show down hand i see no incentive to raising
  • AustinAustin Red Chipper Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am never raising here as I play hands like this all the time when I have the board pretty much crushed. 3bet pot If I had :Ac:Kd

On flop ($63): :Ad:7d:3d
    How much are you betting with AxKd here? You dont really want to force the other player to fold and there are only a few hands he can call with as is.

Depending on how straight forward he is, might just fold the flop as weak as that sounds.
  • Steve007Steve007 Red Chipper Posts: 363 ✭✭✭
    Looks like a really weak bet with an ace he is uncertain about and is trying to see where he is at. Lets show him where he is at. You want to know where you're at ? You're in BIG trouble. I'd raise here.

Villains tend to be terrified of boards like this and even if he calls we have outs with a diamond and even the two jacks will often be outs for us.

This villain just bet $20 into a $63 pot which makes me really doubt that he wants to play for stacks.

Another option is to call, and then make a significant bet if he checks the turn. If he makes another really weak bet I'd raise.
  • SullySully Red Chipper Posts: 780 ✭✭✭
    I definitely put him on an A
    I did not think he wanted to play for stacks (@gabey, not really deep enough)
    I had the :Jd which I thought was worth something if ii got myself in trouble
    I put him all in
    He tanked and called. Showed :As:Kd (@austin and @Ranceg29 good call)

All your answers were very helpful.

The rest of this post is a really a note to myself to make sure it sinks in:

Austin got it pretty right except I know that this villain didn't "play it like this" to get me to shove. IMO he donked really to see where he was at. He didn't really think about having to call shove until it happened and of course he has an awesome hand.

What do I take away?

1. Never forget that in passive games when I 3 bet an EP opener and they call I am dealing with a very narrow range. Sometimes I forget and think I can just shove chips around (leak).
    2. Small donk bets are there to be raised. I just need to be ever vigilante on weird boards and situations. Very little chance he had Axs in preflop calling range. Those hands are ideal targets for raising a small donk with an A on board and realistically were not here.
    3. Would he have folded AKo? Maybe, maybe not. As a general strategy, at 1-2 and 2-5, I believe it's much more profitable to make money from all the players that refuse to fold TPGK as opposed to hammer away at getting them to fold it. I need to remember that always

Thanks again

• Steve007Steve007 Red Chipper Posts: 363 ✭✭✭
    There's a very good chance that was the best possible hand he could have in that spot. But that's not the hand you're really targeting when you raise. There are plenty of weaker aces without a diamond out there. This villain happened to have the best kicker and was lucky that his kicker was also a diamond. The fact that he still tanked wouldn't make me question your shove.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file