Flopping big on a monotone board

Patrick LawlerPatrick Lawler Red Chipper Posts: 108 ✭✭
Hi All!

Sitting with £270 at a live £1/£2 game .

We're UTG+1 with :6s:6c, UTG opens to £10 which is very standard for the table and from this payer doesn't represent massive strength even from EP.

I flat and so does the button and BB.

:6h:7h:2h (pot £41)

UTG checks and I lead for £25. Thoughts on this bet? At the time if felt really standard to lead out here and 'see where I am' but was my hand too strong to lead out? Do I check and risk another :heart falling on the turn for almost certain doom?

Results to follow after your comments...

Comments

• kageykagey Red Chipper, KINGOFTAGS Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭✭✭
    you've got two choices here:
    1. lead out and drive the action as if you have the nuts
    2. check/call until the board pairs

Personally, I would prefer to drive the action.
    After pfr from utg checks, it seems that the pot is yours to take.
    In a pot of 41 - betting 25 allows anyone with one heart to call getting close to the right price... 3:1... 25 to win 66.
    I would have preferred a larger bet - such as 32-36 - to discourage button or BB from chasing with 89 or :Ah:random.

(BTW I don't expect them to fold the nut flush on the flop, but getting them to put more money on flop and then turn may have them fold their equity.)

Also - avoid "find out where you're at" bets. bet for value or to bluff. you'll get much better results in the long run.
  • SamuelSamuel Red Chipper Posts: 18
    My first thought is that it is strange that the PFR didn't lead out. People love to bet monochrome flops and low boards, expecting all their fit-or-fold competitors to fold if they don't have anything. The lack of a c-bet is suspicious, and I wouldn't be totally shocked if I were check-raised here. With that being said, given you have a really strong hand, but also one that does need protection, I think betting out makes a lot more sense than checking. You will be building a bigger pot in case you win, and might be denying equity to some weaker 1 card flush draws. Also, on the off chance you are already up against a flush, you still have very decent equity to the full house/quad draw.
  • Patrick LawlerPatrick Lawler Red Chipper Posts: 108 ✭✭
    Thanks guys!

I see your thinking here, probably better to bet, bet and bet again until the opponent gives a reason to think otherwise. is there nay way to tackle the possibility of value owning ourselves with this line? Seem pretty unavoidable because if we lead flop and turn then check river leaves us pretty open to a bluff.

The actual result isn't very interesting, everyone folds and I take the pot.
  • The MuleThe Mule Red Chipper Posts: 790 ✭✭✭
    Not saying checking is the right thing to do, but why would you worry about being bluffed at on the river ? If you didn't think your opponents would call without a flush, then betting is turning a hand with good showdown value into a bluff, and bluff catching might be more profitable.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file