How to size a value bet with KK?

PescatarianPescatarian Red Chipper Posts: 83
edited November 2014 in Live Poker Hands
Playing in an MTT last night, villain is a total fish- limping into every hand and calling every raise.

100/200 blinds.
UTG limps
Villain MP1 limps
CO limps
Hero (SB) :Kh :Kc , raises to 850
UTG, Villain and CO all call.

I chose that size because I am betting for value with almost certainly the best hand. I don't want everyone folding but I also don't fancy playing KK multiway against 3 drawing hands, I'd prefer two at most. Is that line of thinking good or not?

I won't go through the hand in detail but the board ended up :Ac :5h :Ks :Ad :4d and villain took half my stack with his :Ah :5d .

The general consensus from the table was that I didn't bet big enough to make the raggy ace fold his hand. I believed the bet size was perfect because it didn't make the raggy ace fold.

I'm interested to know what you guys think of the bet size pre flop or whether you think it's better to go multiway or isolate one player. Surely getting 3 folds pre with KK is a bad outcome? Oh and feel free to congratulate me for sniffing it out and not getting busted here!

Comments

• EricEric Red Chipper Posts: 46 ✭✭
    I chose that size because I am betting for value with almost certainly the best hand. I don't want everyone folding but I also don't fancy playing KK multiway against 3 drawing hands, I'd prefer two at most. Is that line of thinking good or not?

Yes, if it was enough to thin the field, then it was good. In a cash game, I have the same line of thinking. It was simply a cooler. He called with A5o so he would have called with any ace and you would have won a very nice pot from him by not blowing him out of the hand. I wouldn't pay attention to what everyone at the table was saying considering had he not had A4 or A5 (AK, AA unlikely) you would have won a substantial pot from him as you had planned.

Congrats!

BTW, I'm moving to Perth in 3 days! Maybe I'll see you at Crown Perth. I wrote you a message about it.

Eric
  • Ed MillerEd Miller RCP Coach Posts: 330
    Yeah you want A5o to call. Don't sweat it. I'm surprised you sniffed out aces full, though... I can't think how you could reasonably do that in a big multiway pot in a tournament. How could you distinguish it from AQ or 55?
  • tagliustaglius Red Chipper Posts: 290 ✭✭
    The general consensus from the table was that I didn't bet big enough to make the raggy ace fold his hand. I believed the bet size was perfect because it didn't make the raggy ace fold.

You are correct, obviously, and as usual the "general consensus" is clueless.

A common scene in my home game is someone hitting their draw on the river and the guy with top pair/overpair spitting "I knew I didn't bet enough, next time I'm just shoving to get you out of there, you #@$%#$! chaser".

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file