Blind Play (part 2)/Under 10BB stacks question

ArtArtBobartArtArtBobart Red Chipper Posts: 356 ✭✭
Hi,

In the video Gareth determines hero hand ranges to shove/call vs a raise by essentially using break-even percentage calculations determined by pot and calling size. Given our tournament life is on the line, should a calling/shoving hand range have more than break-even equity? If so, how?

Comments

• GazelligGazellig RCP Coach Posts: 74 ✭✭
    This is a great question, thanks for posting. I think the first thing to address is how much we actually value our tournament life when we have under 10bb. We're in a situation where our equity in the tournament is generally pretty small and we should probably focus on the +cEV spots to either pick up chips or bust out of the tournament.

That said, I do address the concept of a buffer in my Calling Shoves in Tournaments video where I added 5% to the required break-even equity to account for a mix of tournament life and uncertainty of our opponent's shoving range. I also advocate shoving as a shortstack over calling since the former gives us two ways to win (getting our opponents to fold + having the best hand at showdown) versus the latter's one (having to have the best hand at showdown).

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file