Reviewing Pro-Videos

ImperatorImperator Red Chipper Posts: 899 ✭✭✭
Like most Red Chippers, when I watch a pro-video I take notes.

I often watch the video twice or more times. The first time I will take notes and then I will view it again, just listening and watching, carefully, without pausing for note-taking.

I will always go over my notes the next day to solidify the content in my mind. Even so, my notes often feel hurried and a bit higgledy piggledy. I find that a good way for me to solidify the content of a video is to write my thoughts down in a series of narrative or analytical paragraphs.

So this is my plan.

I have decided that as a form of self-motivation I will post some of my paragraphs about pro-videos on this forum. I don't expect to get many comments, but translating my notes into a semi-readable review will help me to think. As the cliche goes, writing clearly is a way of thinking clearly. I do not think my posts will be useful to many, but they are definitely useful to me and maybe a few people will get something out of them. Take this as a warning.

Mostly I will post rewritten paragraphs from my study journals.

What I intend to post are paragraphs where I have an argument with the video or with myself. Also paragraphs where subsidiary questions are raised or where the explanations in the video seem confused or where I am confused. Of course I will make comparisons between my playing deficits and strengths and the concepts analyzed in the video. I will also write about how the video may improve my play in the future. Hopefully, there will be some follow up on whether the video actually improved my play or how I used the concepts in the video in a focused practice session.

Comparisons with other videos or with what I have learned from books or articles might also be offered.

Way back in my early career I had a wonderful gig reviewing movies for a local newspaper. The movie critic in me might come out in all of this.

If the Gods and Moderators of this site don't think this is an appropriate project please tell me. Or tell me if they think that I should not post such thoughts on the forum but someplace else.

Imperator

Comments

• GabeyJGabeyJ Red Chipper Posts: 436 ✭✭✭
  • SplitSuitSplitSuit RCP Coach Posts: 4,071 -
    I dig it. Can't wait to see this project as it rolls out =)
    📑 Grab my custom poker spreadsheet pack right now.
    📘 Start the Preflop & Math Poker Workbook today.
  • ImperatorImperator Red Chipper Posts: 899 ✭✭✭
    SplitSuit wrote: »
    The first I have up is your Session Review of ChipX. I'm going to the Sands this weekend so I'm not sure how much time I will have before then. But just as a preview, I was quite surprised how much I got out of your review, since, in general. I usually only learn from the conceptual and technical videos.
  • ChipXtractorChipXtractor Red Chipper Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭✭
    Imperator wrote: »
    The first I have up is your Session Review of ChipX. I'm going to the Sands this weekend so I'm not sure how much time I will have before then. But just as a preview, I was quite surprised how much I got out of your review, since, in general. I usually only learn from the conceptual and technical videos.

Oh sheesh. Just skip that video. ..lol.
    James ripped me a new one.
    :)
  • ImperatorImperator Red Chipper Posts: 899 ✭✭✭

I think he was quite gentle on you.

Really, ChipX, I liked that video. You will see why when I write about it. Basically what was good about watching it is that it surprised me. It will be more about SplitSuit than you, anyway.

You put your chin out and you get it punched. But not by me. And you don't have a glass chin anyway.
  • SplitSuitSplitSuit RCP Coach Posts: 4,071 -

But then the first time we played together I was shocked and how different your real game differed from that APT session lol
    📑 Grab my custom poker spreadsheet pack right now.
    📘 Start the Preflop & Math Poker Workbook today.
  • ChipXtractorChipXtractor Red Chipper Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭✭

Imperator wrote: »
    I think he was quite gentle on you.

Really, ChipX, I liked that video. You will see why when I write about it. Basically what was good about watching it is that it surprised me. It will be more about SplitSuit than you, anyway.

You put your chin out and you get it punched. But not by me. And you don't have a glass chin anyway.

I was only joking. I actually liked the video as well. Thought it had a lot of good information about avoiding passive play.
    But then the first time we played together I was shocked and how different your real game differed from that APT session lol

It was only a week or two after the video came out that we played together. I do remember you making that comment at the table after an hour or two sitting next to each other and playing. So funny.
  • Eon137Eon137 Red Chipper Posts: 198 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for this post, @Imperator. Somehow, I had missed these session review videos that James put out. I just went back and watched part 1, and I feel like I was eavesdropping on a $200 coaching session.

And BIG thanks to @ChipXtractor for contributing to this. You never shy away from putting yourself "out there" for criticism if it will help to improve your game and help out other Red Chippers.

And, of course, thanks to James for making this video. It's an excellent example of how a little poker coaching can make a big difference in someone's game. It does a great job of illustrating just how overly tight play is impacting a good player's win rate.

Cheers,

Eon
  • dirty moosedirty moose Red Chipper Posts: 482 ✭✭✭

+1 I was shocked at what a fish he is too....

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file