Folding AA

mbehr1983mbehr1983 Red Chipper Posts: 635 ✭✭✭
This discussion came up last night at my home game and would like your thoughts. We were talking about folding aces. Is there time you would fold aces PF? Tourney or Cash and if so what is your reasoning. I said I was never folding in either. In cash it's obvious but tourney I told the that I would take my chances near the bubble with them. If it goes multiway and I win then I think I will have a bigger stack and increase my chances to win rather than just to cash or be bubble

Comments

• JoeOffsuitJoeOffsuit Red Chipper Posts: 395 ✭✭✭
    If a tourney has a fixed number of winners, AND all of the winners get the EXACT same prize regardless of their finish in chips or final elimination order, AND you are in a hand where enough players have pushed all-in that that folding will guarantee you one of the fixed number of winning spots.

Its never happened to me.

• FilthyCasualFilthyCasual Red Chipper Posts: 871 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2016
    Eh, I think in a tournament you could contrive various scenarios where folding could be considered, but these situations are near-never going to come up so I don't suggest worrying about them.

If I had an edge on a final table, was short stacked, and 5 players are all in for equal chips that cover me, blah blah blah blah blah huge pay jumps, blah blah, than maybe blah blah blah. Yeah, just go study some push/fold charts instead of spending time on this
  • kytmagickytmagic Red Chipper Posts: 184 ✭✭
    Never in cash unless I'm somehow playing a game that I shouldn't be playing in...

I can imagine situations in an MTT but like FilthyCasual said, I'm too lazy to spend energy to come up with the precise scenarios.
  • kageykagey Red Chipper, KINGOFTAGS Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭✭✭
    the only scenario (very contrived) where it would be correct would be in a tourney - on the bubble - and 2 or more guys with similar chip stacks go all in ahead of you...
    even though you have the most equity - if you're guaranteed to cash by folding - why risk it?

otherwise - yeah - tough to fold pre
  • halfday1halfday1 Red Chipper Posts: 4 ✭✭
    Yes if your in a satalite tournament and have already made the cut off there is no reason to play another hand even if it is AA
  • FilthyCasualFilthyCasual Red Chipper Posts: 871 ✭✭✭
    We had this discussion a while ago just for more reading if you are so inclined. http://forum.redchippoker.com/discussion/comment/11984/#Comment_11984
  • philby20philby20 Red Chipper Posts: 189 ✭✭
    I folded Kk the other day it was a satellite we were on the bubble and I was chip leader guy before me shoves for half my effective stack SNAP FOLDED obviously Kks are different to aces but I could talk myself into folding aces in the same scenario
  • GabeyJGabeyJ Red Chipper Posts: 436 ✭✭✭
    Why would you fold KK in a sat as chip leader on the bubble?
  • mbehr1983mbehr1983 Red Chipper Posts: 635 ✭✭✭
    I agree you have a chance to knock him out and if you don't still have enough to do damage. This is my thinking maybe its a leak of mine. Are you playing for just a cash or the W? Ok now same situation but in the money do u snap fold here as well or do u call since in the money?
  • philby20philby20 Red Chipper Posts: 189 ✭✭
    GabeyJ wrote: »
    Why would you fold KK in a sat as chip leader on the bubble?
    Villain went all in for 120000 I had 180000 and there where like 3 stacks with less than 50000 blinds were 5 10 k and villain raised Utg I was Utg +1 a bit tight but easy fold there was no cash bubble prize tickets only didn't think I needed to risk it in that spot even though I was probably ahead
  • bmaddenbmadden Red Chipper Posts: 35 ✭✭
    kagey wrote: »
    the only scenario (very contrived) where it would be correct would be in a tourney - on the bubble - and 2 or more guys with similar chip stacks go all in ahead of you...
    even though you have the most equity - if you're guaranteed to cash by folding - why risk it?

otherwise - yeah - tough to fold pre

you cant do well in tourneys if your goal is to min cash. If you have a chance to win you gotta for it in order to counter the obscene variance if you play tournies. if you only get min cashes you will still be unprofitable.
  • bmaddenbmadden Red Chipper Posts: 35 ✭✭
    In satellites near the 'bubble" where all prizes are equal it is almost always correct to engage in a folding war unless you have less than half of the average stack.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file